PDA

View Full Version : Bain in Wick, Caithness

sasenach
08-Apr-08, 11:06
Andrewina Robertson Bain was born 19 May 1867 in Wick
Helen MacKenzie Bain was born 18 Nov. 1869 in Wick
George Sutherland Bain was born 22 July 1878 in Wick

All the above were the illegitimate children of Isabella Bain
Isabella Bain died a pauper in 1878 5 days after George was born.

In the 1871 census for Green Road, Wick Andrewina Robertson and Helen McKenzie are living with their mother Isabella.

In the 1881 census for Sarclet, Wick Andrewina Robertson age 13 and George Sutherland aged 2 are living with Isabella`s mother and her husband (the childrens Step-Grandfather)

There is no record of Helen McKenzie/Bain in the 1881 census. I cannot find a record of a Death for Helen either on Scotlands People.

In the past I have found that children`s surnames can either be their middle names or their stated surname. However I cannot find any trace of these children by either name after 1881. I have done a search of the names for the 1891 census and found 3 listed George Sutherlands aged between 11 and 13 in Caithness. Unfortunately I have used up my quota of credits on SP and was hoping that SKS could help with what happened to these children.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Kathleen

airdlass
08-Apr-08, 19:38
Andrewina died 27th Jan 1947 at 47 Henrietta Street age 79.
She was married to Alexander Ross Donaldson. Father's name is listed as James Robertson, mother Isabella Bain.

sasenach
08-Apr-08, 20:07
Dear Airdlass
What can I say. Thank you just does not seem enough. I shall now be able to trace this line that I was beginning to think was totally lost to me.
Many many thanks for your help.
Kathleen