PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder Probs

KCI
06-Apr-08, 19:19
I wonder if anyone can help with this prob!

I have never used a camcorder, so bear with me!

I have a Canon Digital Video Camcorder MV700, with some tapes that have already been recorded. I can watch the tapes on the camcorder. I am desperate to have these tapes put onto DVD, so that I can make copies.
The problem is that I don't have the original lead to plug this camcorder into my computer.

Can anyone tell me if there is any other way to have these tapes recorded onto DVD? They are of sentimental value, so I don't want to lose them.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bobinovich
06-Apr-08, 22:00
A quick check of the Canon website indicates that that particular camcorder is fitted with both DV Out and AV connections.

The latter could be used if you have a suitable AV card or USB converter, although you'll get much better results using the DV option.

In order to do so, your PC will need a Firewire port. If your PC doesn't have Firewire then a USB to Firewire converter or internal PCI card could be installed. You'll also need some suitable DVD Authoring software (and I can't recommend Windows Movie Maker BTW!).

The DV Out on the camcorder is the small 4-pin type but you can also get a larger 6-pin version so, depending on what Firewire connection your PC has (or you install) you may be able to get the necessary lead from Tesco or Woolworths, or definately from Maplin or CPC, and it's likely that one of the locals - Chessors, Alacam or Beggs may also stock them.

Should you want the official Canon cables then this (https://store.canon-europe.com/servlet/SecureControllerServlet?Action=DisplayCompatibleAs cAndConsumablesPage&SiteID=canoncon&product=MV700&Locale=en_GB) is the link to the relevant online store page.

Let us know if you need more information.

KCI
07-Apr-08, 10:46
Thank you for your help - much appreciated!

I'll have a look around, and see what I can find.

(must have been having a bad day - I didn't even think of looking at the Canon website! :o )