PDA

View Full Version : The Man Who Cycled the World

mccaugm
05-Apr-08, 15:07
For a story of determination and perseverance this is a must.
My college mates and I were lucky enough to listen to him talk about his adventures, just a few weeks after he finished his successful record attempt. His adventures are shown on TV next week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7245381.stm

7:00 pm BBC2 Tuesday
"The inside story of Mark Beaumont's extraordinary solo attempt to smash the Guinness World Record for cycling around the world. Having crossed Europe in just 22 days, Mark heads for India. [S]"

cuddlepop
05-Apr-08, 15:59
Thats one to watch tonight,thanks for the reminder.:D

EDDIE
05-Apr-08, 17:09
it must be great to have the money and time of work to do these things which most working people dont have

mccaugm
05-Apr-08, 19:42
He had just finished Uni and had not fully decided what to do with his life. He got sponsorship from various companies.

"
Mark (or 'Monty' as he's known to his friends) was almost born on two wheels. Aged 12 he cycled across Scotland from Dundee to Oban (raising £2,000 for charity).
Two years later he bought his first road bike and then aged 15 did the classic 'End to End' journey, riding from Land's End to John O'Groats (raising £3,000 for charity).
After high school he then helped raise £50,000 for the Erskine Hospital for Ex-Servicemen and Women by cycling the 1,334 miles from Sicily to Innsbruck in Austria up the length of Italy.
During university, however, Mark started to get an itch for 'a big one' and you can't get much bigger than circumnavigating the globe! After graduating, he went to work for a few months but the thought wouldn't go away. So despite people telling him that he'd need longer than six months to plan and train for something of this size, he left his job and threw himself into it.
Luckily, everything fell into place and with a great team behind him (including sports scientists, nutritionists and, of course, the BBC!) he eventually set off from Paris on the 5th of August.
All in all, Mark has to travel 18000 miles (the equivalent of riding from Edinburgh to Glasgow AND BACK every day) and is hoping to do it in 210 days, which would smash the current record of 276 days. Good luck!

davem
06-Apr-08, 01:47
it must be great to have the money and time of work to do these things which most working people dont have

If you want do do something enough you manage it somehow, it's not money it's determination that gets these things done.

wifie
08-Apr-08, 21:55
Thanks Mccaugm - watched the prog tonight and really enjoyed - looking forward to the rest!

mccaugm
08-Apr-08, 22:00
Me too..I believe the next episode is on Monday night...cannot remember the time but guess it will be around 7 as per tonight.

wifie
08-Apr-08, 22:03
Yeah really must remember - but at least it is the beeb - there is always the i if we forget - lol!

Mister Squiggle
09-Apr-08, 10:09
Absolutely cracking programme. Our two kids love it and we've had the world map out tracing where he has got to each night. They are absolutely fascinated by it. As I'm out at work tonight when it's on, I've asked them to write down three things he sees as he cycles around Australia, and they have to tell me when I get home. It's inspiring stuff.