PDA

View Full Version : 1855 Disaster

eric41
05-Apr-08, 01:10
Good afternoon all
I am trying to find the exact date for the marine disaster that occurred in 1855 I believe off Clyne.

Eric

Tighsonas4
05-Apr-08, 12:09
1855 Disaster
Hi Is It Safe To Assume That You Mean [clyth] Not Clyne As There Was A Disaster There On That Date. If That Is The Case You Will Find Most Of The Details On This Page
Hope This Is Of Some Help Regards Tony

Tighsonas4
05-Apr-08, 12:13
1855 Disaster
Hi Is It Safe To Assume That You Mean [clyth] Not Clyne As There Was A Disaster There On That Date. If That Is The Case You Will Find Most Of The Details On This Page
Hope This Is Of Some Help Regards Tony
SORRY MEANT TO SAY JUST SCROLL THIS PAGE AND TAKE UP WIDOWS OF CLYTH TONY

eric41
06-Apr-08, 02:53
Good evening Tony
Thanks for the corrections re Clyth not Clyne
Have searched the files re Widows of Clyth as you suggested, but unable to find the day and month of the disaster.
Will keep looking

Eric

trinkie
06-Apr-08, 08:09
There was a disaster on the 24 April 1855 off Halbury Head, East Clyth, Latheron
George Sutherland was lost.

I dont appear to have anything more on this - but I will have another look !

Trinkie

trinkie
06-Apr-08, 08:22
No sooner said than done ! It pays to look more carefully at one's notes !!

I now find there is a good account of this disaster in the Book of Lybster by Donald A. Young. This wonderful book is no longer in print. I will give a few brief notes below -----

''Tuesday 24th April 1855
The boat ‘Mansie Laird’
13 youths aged between 12 – 19 were drowned
Heading for Skerrymore to gather bait.
Severe gale nothing to cause concern ''

names are listed .

By the way Donald Young adds ''The Mansie Laird'' was the nom de plume of a character who wrote wry and humorous notes in the Northern Ensign of that period - The name Mansie is derived from Magnus and used to be common in the Northern Isles..

Hope this helps your search
Regards
Trinkie

Tighsonas4
06-Apr-08, 11:17
Disaster
Hi Eric41 And Trinkie.
In Your Ref To Skerryvore Trinkie Thats Where The 13 Boys Had Gone For Bait. Have Heard The Nancy Laird Mentioned But Cant Recollect Where Or In What Context Will Rake Around Some More
Heard Of Donald Young But Never Had His Book
Happy Hunting Tony
Ps I Got A 240 Page Document From A Friend In Leith . It Branches Out In All Directions From This
Could Pass It On By Email Its Far Too Large To Copy Paste Or Anything Else Regards T

eric41
06-Apr-08, 15:45
Good morning all
Thanks for the date. Very much appreciated.

Eric