PDA

View Full Version : Female Doctors

justine
04-Apr-08, 14:10
This link suggests that to many female doctors are coming into gp practices.Me i dont mind wether i see a male or female doctor as long as they can help, does it matter to you.The news link is saying it is non helpfull to have to many female docs.Would it put you off making an appointment if you could not see the doctor of the gender you wish..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7329082.stm

wifie
04-Apr-08, 14:32
Well I have had one really good female doctor and several absolutely awful ones and several fabulous male doctors and a few pretty dire ones. So I don't think it matters as long as you get on with them. I avoid the woman at our practice like the plague as she has had a total personality by-pass as far as I can see buy my OH got her recently and they got on well.
The article (which I just scanned really) does seem to dwell on the old story of working women - and it looks like that "problem" will exist for some time to come.

justine
04-Apr-08, 14:41
sorry removed that as i accidently posted it under my oh account name..

I agree it seems that the victorian values are as much with us today as they were in the early 1900's.and not just in the work places, My doc is a man and i am happy with the practice. He is considerate, helpfull, and a concerned gp...

unicorn
04-Apr-08, 15:12
For normal day to day things I am fine with a male doctor but if I was going for more intimate examination I would prefer a female doctor.

balto
04-Apr-08, 16:02
most things i would be fine seeing a male doctor, but some things i wouldnt be happy disscussing with a male, i for one am happy that we have the choice.

Ash
04-Apr-08, 16:10
after having a child and there was alot of male doctors im not fussed now, they have probably seen it all before :D

ciderally
04-Apr-08, 16:17
dosent bother me, but i do think the female doc's are more in tune and sympathetic ....if you going to the doc with "woman's troubles"

pat
04-Apr-08, 16:33
Don't mind which sex my doc is - main thing is I am treated as a person with input into my health not as a lump of meat to be processed through to keep the numbers up.

Have had excellent male and female docs and then docs I would not want anywhere near me even if I had just been run over by a road roller and they were the best consultant ever.

Personal relationships and impressions count for a lot.

Male and female docs have all seen and dealt with many genitalia, bowel, and problems many many times before, you are not going to be the first with any problem or oddity, so don't worry about discussing thngs with docs of other gender.

Next time you feel awkward going to doc -think you are taking car to mechanic for check up - same difference, just describe problems and think of your body as a smooth running engine but a little problem with ??? and describe problem as you would your car problem to mechanic, no need to get embarassed and uptight.

MadPict
04-Apr-08, 17:25
My lady doc always has nice warm hands - that's all I ask for...

Tighsonas4
04-Apr-08, 17:41
doctots
AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED THERE THE SAME AS TRADESMEN GOOD
AND INDIFFERENTITS THE RESULTS THAT MATTER MOST TO ME IN A
PLACE LIKE THIS THE DAYS OF THE OLD FAMILY DOCTOR ARE LONG SINCE GONE. THEY MADE A POINT OF KNOWING THE FAMILY PERSONALLY AND NOT OF A COMPUTER??? TONY

BRIE
04-Apr-08, 17:44
I have a fantastic male doctor but when i was at another surgery I had a wonderful female doctor too.It doesnt really bother me what gender they are as long as their friendly & i feel comfortable with them.
On the negative side though I remember being in the labour room having my son & a male doctor coming waltzing in unannounced without even knocking! he wasnt even coming in to see me but just to speak to the midwife! thought this was a bit rude as i wasnt in the most lady like position at the time.

Tighsonas4
04-Apr-08, 17:51
doctots
AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED THERE THE SAME AS TRADESMEN GOOD
AND INDIFFERENTITS THE RESULTS THAT MATTER MOST TO ME IN A
PLACE LIKE THIS THE DAYS OF THE OLD FAMILY DOCTOR ARE LONG SINCE GONE. THEY MADE A POINT OF KNOWING THE FAMILY PERSONALLY AND NOT OF A COMPUTER??? TONY
need one now for my spelling [lol]

justine
04-Apr-08, 18:04
Sounds like you have the same doc as me...:(

i agree with you on the computer.Took our doc a while to look us in the face instead of staring at a screen, nodding his head, but hes improved alot now...Must be learning...;).

hotrod4
04-Apr-08, 18:13
Doesnt bother me which gender a doc is.
It reminds me of the time i was getting a rather "intimate" examination on the old meat and 2 veg.
Doctor then asked if a student could watch, so I said OK no problem.
Must admit it was a bit embaressing as the Doc was showing the student the "correct technique!!!". And to make matters worse the student was Female and about 21 and very pleasing on the eye, I kept thinking about football and the like ;)

it doesnt matter what gender a doctor is as long as they are good at their job and warm their hands first!!!!!!!

tan422
05-Apr-08, 15:24
I have had both doctors but I prefer a female one, I suffer from depresion and I have found that the female doctors is easier to speak to rather that the male ones:D

jings00
05-Apr-08, 22:40
My doc just now is a male doc and i canny sing his praises enough. Although, i wouldn't mind a female doc, just as long as they are competent ("they" being male or female)

WeeBurd
05-Apr-08, 23:22
I have no issue with what sex they are, as long as they have a sense of humour - particularly handy when you have rather intimate things to discuss I think. ;) I don't believe their sex affects their ability to do the job in any way at all.

I would agree with Ash though - having had babies and/or appointments with gynacologists, you soon learn there's no point in having any inhibitions/fears about docs of the opposite sex, because you're just going to get well rummaged anyway [lol]!

I'm very comfortable with my current doc, he fits the bill perfectly - he's friendly, funny, and sorts me out when I'm not well. Come to think of it, I think all my doctors have been male anyway...

ciderally
05-Apr-08, 23:28
Doesnt bother me which gender a doc is.
It reminds me of the time i was getting a rather "intimate" examination on the old meat and 2 veg.
Doctor then asked if a student could watch, so I said OK no problem.
Must admit it was a bit embaressing as the Doc was showing the student the "correct technique!!!". And to make matters worse the student was Female and about 21 and very pleasing on the eye, I kept thinking about football and the like ;)

it doesnt matter what gender a doctor is as long as they are good at their job and warm their hands first!!!!!!!
:lol: good one made me laugh...just what the doc ordered

Kevin Milkins
06-Apr-08, 01:16
For normal day to day things I am fine with a male doctor but if I was going for more intimate examination I would prefer a female doctor.

Yes I am of the same mind 100%:lol: