PDA

View Full Version : Fit's yur fave Scottish food?

Sporran
15-Nov-05, 08:46
Some of my favourite Scottish foods are:

Haggis, clapshot, Scotch broth, butteries/buttries, oatcakes and shortbread. Also black pudding, white/mealy pudding, skirlie and stovies.

What are your faves?

twee dledum
15-Nov-05, 10:02
I love all those things too but I think mince n tatties is my favourite.Mmm!

willowbankbear
15-Nov-05, 10:31
Haggis is magic. Locally caught Haddock deep fried with chips ,especially when i used to catch it myself is my ultimate tho. Delicious

angela5
15-Nov-05, 10:51
haggis,neep's and tatties yummy!.

Donnie
15-Nov-05, 11:08
Mealy or Skirlie with Gravy.

golach
15-Nov-05, 11:23
My Wifes mince and tatties and my own tattie soup

scotsboy
15-Nov-05, 12:04
Like all those mentioned - but the shortbread HAS to be from a tartan tin.

RandomHero
15-Nov-05, 12:10
All the above. Scotch dumpling too.

scotsboy
15-Nov-05, 12:21
Cullen Skink
Herring in oatmeal
Smoked Fish and tatties

Naefearjustbeer
15-Nov-05, 14:35
Clapshot, mince and tatties, Broth, Stew and dumpling.

mince and tatties is one of my favourite meals

angela5
15-Nov-05, 14:45
broth soup, clapshot, haggis,neeps & tatties, shortbread, and a little tipple from a fine bottle of old pulteny.

Doleve
15-Nov-05, 14:47
clapshot and cockburns haggis,washed down with barrs irn bru, mmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-05, 14:53
Stovies. Though some of the British folks on here might have something to say about mentioning any dishes resorting to nationalism.

Chardonnay
15-Nov-05, 16:48
Some of my favourite Scottish foods are:

Haggis, clapshot, Scotch broth, butteries/buttries, oatcakes and shortbread. Also black pudding, white/mealy pudding, skirlie and stovies.

What are your faves?

How do you make Stovies, years since I had them??

hereboy
15-Nov-05, 17:08
Marmalade - wi big chunks o peel and the like - what's the one from Dundee, Kiellers - pure class - in a cermaic pot.

Stovies- there are lots of recipes on the web - just do a search. Best stovies in the world are in that bar on Union Street (about 3/4s up) in Aberdeen - forgotten the name... anyone remember?

Chardonnay
15-Nov-05, 17:10
Marmalade - wi big chunks o peel and the like - what's the one from Dundee, Kiellers - pure class - in a cermaic pot.

Stovies- there are lots of recipes on the web - just do a search. Best stovies in the world are in that bar on Union Street (about 3/4s up) in Aberdeen - forgotten the name... anyone remember?

Looking for a good old scottish recipe!!!

hahaha you just remembered me when I was little we used to get them from Dyce!!!

golach
15-Nov-05, 17:11

Herboy the mention of Keillers Marmalade has set me off how about Wallaces o Dundee's Forfar bridies an ingan ane of course

hereboy
15-Nov-05, 17:22
Looking for a good old scottish recipe!!!

Try this one on or size...

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_stovies.htm

Another fave is porridge, with salt of course and not sugar - Burns called porridge the "chief of Scotia's food"; warms the cockles of your heart I tell 'e.

jings00
15-Nov-05, 18:55
the name of that bar is bugging me now, used to get the stovies served on a paper plate?
stovies, herring in oatmeal, pickled herring, haggis, stovies, oatcakes, cockaleekie soup, lentil soup, tattie soup, soor plooms, shortbread, clapshot, black puddin, skirlie, porage.........yum.

unicorn
15-Nov-05, 19:05
shortbread, tablet, clapshot and whitepudding with big bits of ingin mmmmm

jings00
15-Nov-05, 19:06
Wordies Ale House
is that the bar in Aberdeen, tho it isny on Union Street
Danny Craig's ice cream wis the bestest too,slurp.

DrSzin
15-Nov-05, 20:00
A few that haven't been mentioned: smoked salmon; grilled fresh salmon or trout. :D

Red pudding! Hey Pepsi, give us a shout if you ever find a chippie down here that does it. If you ask for a red-pudding supper in Edinburgh they look at you as if you're on day release from the local madhouse. :o

Lamb Saag -- those pesky South Asians nicked that particular dish from us. Not many people know that...

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-05, 20:04
Aye, apparently the Concorde in Tollcross used to sell Red Puddings. I doubt they do anymore, but it's certainly worth asking for if you're in the area.

DrSzin
15-Nov-05, 20:11
Ok, I think I know the Concord. I'll try it next time I'm in the vicinity. Cheers.

Sweet stuff: Cranachan with raspberries; black bun -- great for that new diet.

Atholl brose.

Mustn't forget partan bree. Not sure partan would approve, mind.

Square sausage -- great if you're on a health kick.

All washed down with a fine malt or ten.

hereboy
15-Nov-05, 20:22
Wordies Ale House
is that the bar in Aberdeen, tho it isny on Union Street

It was..... The Grill!!

twee dledum
15-Nov-05, 23:34
Fish and chips from the fishermens mission in klb. The one in Scrabsters no bad either. Nice wifies workin there too

lizzie
16-Nov-05, 00:10
clapshot, white pudding, haggis.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Nov-05, 01:04
wheres klb? i could do wi a puddin?

Go west to Kin Loch Bervie

Sporran
16-Nov-05, 05:20
Forgot to mention a couple of my fave Scottish desserts earlier on! They are Clootie Dumplin' and Tipsy Laird. (Hic!) :D