PDA

View Full Version : Stop and think

Kenn
03-Apr-08, 20:53
I rarely post on the general forem these days and for very good reason.
I have been saddened by what appears to be dog fights between various posters and the fact that a thread if serious soon gets hijacked and wanders off on a very different course.
There are those who are thoughtful, measured and intelligent in their postings. there are others who are guaranteed to raise a smile or an outright giggle, others that choose to share their skill at photography and their knowledge of the area and it's it's flora and fauna. literature and all the other aspects that the site covers.
Consider this, this is a public forem that has memebers from all over the world along with guests. With that in mind stop and think some times about what you are saying and how you express your thoughts.

I've stuck my head over the parapet and am now going to sit in the bunker for a while as I know flak will fly.

Thumper
03-Apr-08, 20:57
No flak from me Lizz....couldnt agree with you more! x

unicorn
03-Apr-08, 20:57
I absolutely agree with all you have said LIZZ it is a bit like a firing range round here right now as there is so much sniping :eek: Well done you for broaching the matter :D

anneoctober
03-Apr-08, 20:59
No flak from me Lizz....couldnt agree with you more! x
Lizz, I hope you realise that Thumper is shouting this from her burrow... hence the echooooooooo...................[lol]

carasmam
03-Apr-08, 21:00
Aye, well said Lizz. I dont post much on the general forum for the exact same reason.

WeeBurd
03-Apr-08, 21:01
Well expressed Lizz, you've captured the feelings of many of us perfectly!

bobandag16
03-Apr-08, 21:01
I have been saddened by what appears to be dog fights between various posters and the fact that a thread if serious soon gets hijacked and wanders off on a very different course.
There are those who are thoughtful, measured and intelligent in their postings. there are others who are guaranteed to raise a smile or an outright giggle, others that choose to share their skill at photography and their knowledge of the area and it's it's flora and fauna. literature and all the other aspects that the site covers.
Consider this, this is a public forem that has memebers from all over the world along with guests. With that in mind stop and think some times about what you are saying and how you express your thoughts.

I've stuck my head over the parapet and am now going to sit in the bunker for a while as I know flak will fly.
agree came on to keep up to date locally good local information. too much rubbish cannnot be recycled

Thumper
03-Apr-08, 21:02
If you get any flak Lizz you can come hide in my burrow [lol] x

TBH
03-Apr-08, 21:08
Let's all be friends and have a hug in Thumpers burrow.http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/i/innocent-emoticon.gif

Thumper
03-Apr-08, 21:10
Let's all be friends and have a hug in Thumpers burrow.http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/i/innocent-emoticon.gif

Whoo hoo! ;)x

Angela
03-Apr-08, 21:13
Lizz, very well said, your post expresses what I've been trying to put into words all day.

I previewed my own attempt at a post so many times, to both say what I wanted to and at the same not to offend anyone, that I just gave up! :(

I've stopped posting -or had until now - because there seemed little, if any, point these days when so many threads are dragged way, way off topic by blatant provocation and end up as yet another pointless slanging match.

I've no desire to be caught in the crossfire and I really don't feel welcome any more.

At the same time I know that other folk do feel just the same and would really like to restore the forum to the interesting and friendly place it used to be.:)

trix
03-Apr-08, 21:15
i ken fit yer sayin lizz....an da get me wrong, ye do hev a point.

however, some posters post, an its choost drippin wi sarcasm - 'iss makes me laugh oot loud [lol]

ithers do, an can be kwite nasty in their posts, then it choost turns intil a playgroond scrap (which also makes me laugh...) - laughin ifanow...

some people choost need takin in han' lizz an telt how it is.

wur all grown ups here (weel, most 'o us) an when someone is bein 'silly' then they leave themsels wide open til a public floggin - bring id on.....

me, personally, i love 'e org e way 'id iss...:Razz

an' 'ats choost ma opinion...............beat me wi a stick.....

balto
03-Apr-08, 21:26
well done lizz on your thread, i have stopped replying with anything that certain people can twist into something else.

TBH
03-Apr-08, 21:34
well done lizz on your thread, i have stopped replying with anything that certain people can twist into something else.What do ye mean by that>[disgust][lol]

balto
03-Apr-08, 21:35
What do ye mean by that>[disgust][lol]my point exactly

TBH
03-Apr-08, 21:40
my point exactlyThat was my obviously useless attempt at humour Balto.

balto
03-Apr-08, 21:42
That was my obviously useless attempt at humour Balto.
i know it was, but there would be some people who would have picked at such a simply remark as the one i made.

percy toboggan
03-Apr-08, 22:12
I see little evidence of outright, serious rancour on the org.
It takes allsorts to make a world...none of this stuff really matters and bland acquiescence and agreement would make for a very dull forum.
As trix says in her inimitable style we are all 'grown ups' and should absorb the odd brickbat..espeically if it's not aimed at ourselves. Being a mere onlooker in a spat, or disagreement is surely nothing to trouble anyone unduly.

Of all the folks I've disagreed/locked horns with it's merely temporary and I bear none of 'em any ill will. If that's not reciprocated I can live with it. If posters in a public forum want a cuddly and benign one I'm sure they exist somewhere....a bit sweet for me though so I'll avoid.

So, no flak from me just disagreement...it seems some people can't tell the difference...sadly.

golach
03-Apr-08, 22:16

Well done Lizz, and I would include those who steal threads by adding silly and nonsensical remarks that have nothing to do with the origional theme of the thread, and IMO they only do it to gratify their own ego's and to boost their posting tally, and we all know who that is[disgust]

Boozeburglar
03-Apr-08, 22:23
we all know who that is[disgust]

Surely you meant, 'who they are'.

:)

TBH
03-Apr-08, 22:25
Lizz, i have spoken to you through this medium on a few occasions and you are quite right that the time has come to stop these petty squabbles and get back to debating the points at hand without resorting to personal insult.

Boozeburglar
03-Apr-08, 22:31
Lizz, i have spoken to you through this medium on a few occasions

I was under the impression you were not a believer in psychics T?

I agree with your point though.

TBH
03-Apr-08, 22:42
I was under the impression you were not a believer in psychics T?

I agree with your point though.

The medium didna charge me 5 sheckel for the hour.[lol]

tisme
03-Apr-08, 22:43
I have been a member of this forum for years, but have seldom contributed a new post, and sometimes post a reply if I feel the need. The reason is like everything else there are a few who seem to think this is their forum and you have to agree or begone. This is not a new thing, just different groups who continue to let it be know it is their site. Then again maybe that is just me. Although sometimes when I read some of the stuff on here I am reminded on why I left Wick in the first place. But I will still check in every day as always coz it is a link to my past. Woopsadaisy how much bad rep am I gonna get for this.........:eek:

northener
03-Apr-08, 22:57
Sorry Lizz, I disagree.

I think that everyone has a different idea of what they want from a forum and I think the .Org is big enough to encompass all needs.

OK, there may be occasions whera jolly good verbal scrap descends into teddy-bear throwing, but be honest, isn't that just like real life?

We're all different and have different views, ideals, hang-ups and likes.

There are some posters on the .Org that I feel are argumentative just for arguments sake. But, then again, I'm sure there are other users who feel the same way about me. (never!:eek:)

If the .Org was made up of purely cyber love-ins with endless hugging and threads on kittens and cushions, then I'm sure it would implode pretty quickly. We need diversification constantly.

There's lots of threads on here I never get to look at because they don't provoke any reaction or stimulation for me personally or everyone is falling out and I can't be arsed to read any further. But that doesn't make the .Org a bad place.

As for inane posts and irrelevant comments, I'm possibly one of the worst ones for taking threads off subject - so I couldn't possibly comment.......

Boozeburglar
03-Apr-08, 23:11
I have been a member of this forum for years, but have seldom contributed a new post, and sometimes post a reply if I feel the need. The reason is like everything else there are a few who seem to think this is their forum and you have to agree or begone. This is not a new thing, just different groups who continue to let it be know it is their site. Then again maybe that is just me. Although sometimes when I read some of the stuff on here I am reminded on why I left Wick in the first place. But I will still check in every day as always coz it is a link to my past. Woopsadaisy how much bad rep am I gonna get for this.........:eek:

Couldnt rep you, but well said!

Anne x
03-Apr-08, 23:16
I will refer to my my poem in Literature on " No Title Yet " I have never received a response like it ever , pms , e mails etc etc

(even for my Scones !!! or Orkney Fudge cheesecake ) tongue in cheek !!!

It is such a shame that this is happening
not that I have a lot of experience in this matter
so what is the problem Oldies or Newbies
who agree with whoever or choose not to Agree with each other !!!
so really whats the answer ?

teddybear1873
04-Apr-08, 00:25
Surely you meant, 'who they are'.

I could certainly name at least a dozen. This place is like a school playground at times. But then again Caithness is renowded for backstabbing, gossip etc etc etc.

trix
04-Apr-08, 00:35
I could certainly name at least a dozen. This place is like a school playground at times. But then again Caithness is renowded for backstabbing, gossip etc etc etc.

for ma gaudess sake...will ye lighten up...? :roll:

Venture
04-Apr-08, 00:38
for ma gaudess sake...will ye lighten up...? :roll:
Trix I love your way with words.:lol:

teddybear1873
04-Apr-08, 00:42
Strange...................but true.

Kevin Milkins
04-Apr-08, 00:53
Trix I love your way with words.:lol:

Talking about a way with words.
do you talk in the same way you write?
At first I found it hard work ,but now that I have picked it up a bit I find it has its own charm.

trix
04-Apr-08, 01:01
Talking about a way with words.
do you talk in the same way you write?
At first I found it hard work ,but now that I have picked it up a bit I find it has its own charm.

aw, thanks kevin....:D

i choost type exactly 'e way a speak...!

i write letters til ma pals that hev moved awie...its aye nice ti get a han' writ'n letter in 'e post....even tho i speak til them online...

so iv bin doin it fir years....:cool:

trinkie
04-Apr-08, 08:47
Well this is a sorry state ! I agree one hundred percent with what Liz has said BUT feel it is now up to us to do something better.

I seldom use the General page, but I know there are many folk out there who could and should improve it as it stands today. Dont give in to those who are spoiling the whole thing. I've been so ashamed at a lot of the content and feel sad that this carries the name of Caithness.

So either close this thread completely, or make it worth reading. Stop and Think ! wise words indeed. Remember here you carry the banner of Caithness - dont let us down any more.

Good Luck
Trinkie

golach
04-Apr-08, 08:48
Well Lizz, your are right again, its taken less than 12 hours to to have your thread hijacked, and turned around [disgust]

Kenn
04-Apr-08, 09:27
northener I was not trying to suggest that there should be no arguements etc merely that as the site is a window to the world then may be, just may be people should think a little more about what they post.
A well measured debate, an informative , entertaining or funny rhread is a delight and should be encouraged.

brokencross
04-Apr-08, 09:35
Well this is a sorry state..........So either close this thread completely, or make it worth reading. Stop and Think ! wise words indeed. Remember here you carry the banner of Caithness - dont let us down any more.

Sorry, do you mean close this particular thread or the whole GENERAL section of the messageboard?

balto
04-Apr-08, 10:50
I can see this thread being turned into another battlefield to be honest.

golach
04-Apr-08, 10:52
I can see this thread being turned into another battlefield to be honest.
Exactly Lizz's point :confused

justine
04-Apr-08, 10:54
I would love it to go back to what it was when i joined but groups will be childish bullies..I love the org for what it is but it seems peace will never be laid to rest..Weshould all be allowed to post and ask decent questions without rebuff, but as it goes,well lets just say, fair community spirit no longer exists.

I still enjoy posting and will always do so...........

Rie
04-Apr-08, 10:58
I agree totally, i have bee put off reading and posting by silly snipes at each other by various people, its a shame as it spoils it for the rest of us

trinkie
04-Apr-08, 11:02
Brokencross -

I meant close the whole lot - General Thread, as it appears folk are too scared to write in or respond ! What a sad state to be in !

There are other ways of communicating without letting Caithness down.

Trinkie

balto
04-Apr-08, 11:05
reckon they should kick the major trouble makers of the org, because they just spoil it for the rest of us, with their childish behaviour.

cuddlepop
04-Apr-08, 11:19
There's some people you'll get on with and there's some you wont.
Just ignore the ones that rattle your cage.
If your threads hijacked bring it back to its original point.

This place is getting more and more like "office politics " every day.:roll:

Well said Lizz,you've posted what a few have said privately.

silverfox57
04-Apr-08, 11:25
Brokencross -

I meant close the whole lot - General Thread, as it appears folk are too scared to write in or respond ! What a sad state to be in !

There are other ways of communicating without letting Caithness down.

Trinkie
caithness is well know by visitors in the real world as friendly happy people,but not to stray from thread ,i total agree with lizz on posting on the general fourm,as a new member it seems you must know each other in person with remarks on here some times,like lizz will wait for blast:~(

Venture
04-Apr-08, 13:25
Well here goes. Ill probably be jumping in with you Lizz after posting this hopefully you wont throw me back out.. ;)

I willingly hold up my hands and say that I have been involved in a few spats on here in my time. Having said that I have never personally INSULTED anyone. I do reply in different ways to different people. I have my own opinions on various things and I dont expect everyone to agree with me.

There are very few orgers who can say they haven't been annoyed about a particular post at some time or other and haven't replied accordingly. Some are more tactful at it than others and some are more opinionated. How individuals react is all according to how thick a skin they have or how brave they are feeling at the time. I apologise if it offends or annoys others that I sometimes feel the need to defend an orger when he/she is being unfairly verbally abused or attacked. Its part of who I am. I dont accept belligerent individuals in the real world so why should I have to accept them on here.

There are times when I feel like saying a lot more than would be acceptable. There are times when I want to reply but feel I cant compete with the "professionals" on here. This is when self-control and knowing my limitations kicks in, thankfully.

Who decides that a thread has turned into either an arguement, a debate, a difference of opinion, a clash of personalities or a slanging match on the org? What's the difference anyway? Well I can't speak for eveyone else but my own answer to that would definitely depend on the individuals involved at the time.

Having now confessed to being the orger that I am do I fall into the category that Balto describes on this thread as "major troublemaker" to be banished to the other side for being "childish"? If not what am I?

I await your opinions and my sentence:(

karia
04-Apr-08, 13:28
Well here goes. Ill probably be jumping in with you Lizz after posting this hopefully you wont throw me back out.. ;)

I willingly hold up my hands and say that I have been involved in a few spats on here in my time. Having said that I have never personally INSULTED anyone. I do reply in different ways to different people. I have my own opinions on various things and I dont expect everyone to agree with me.

There are very few orgers who can say they haven't been annoyed about a particular post at some time or other and haven't replied accordingly. Some are more tactful at it than others and some are more opinionated. How individuals react is all according to how thick a skin they have or how brave they are feeling at the time. I apologise if it offends or annoys others that I sometimes feel the need to defend an orger when he/she is being unfairly verbally abused or attacked. Its part of who I am. I dont accept belligerent individuals in the real world so why should I have to accept them on here.

There are times when I feel like saying a lot more than would be acceptable. There are times when I want to reply but feel I cant compete with the "professionals" on here. This is when self-control and knowing my limitations kicks in, thankfully.

Who decides that a thread has turned into either an arguement, a debate, a difference of opinion, a clash of personalities or a slanging match on the org? What's the difference anyway? Well I can't speak for eveyone else but my own answer to that would definitely depend on the individuals involved at the time.

Having now confessed to being the orger that I am do I fall into the category that Balto describes on this thread as "major troublemaker" to be banished to the other side for being "childish"? If not what am I?

I await your opinions and my sentence

I have a very short sentence for you.

Well said!:)

silverfox57
04-Apr-08, 13:34
sentence should be to upgrade to ik orger for common scence,

trix
04-Apr-08, 16:41
Well Lizz, your are right again, its taken less than 12 hours to to have your thread hijacked, and turned around

at what point in yer opinion wis 'iss thread 'hijacked' golach?

sometimes conversations do go off course, no always resultin in conflict....i wisna aware that we hed til stick rigidly til 'e thread headin...

some people need til lighten up an no take themsels so seriously.....:roll:

...an goin by yer last pm til me golach...yer one o' them :lol:

golach
04-Apr-08, 19:13
some people need til lighten up an no take themsels so seriously.....

...an goin by yer last pm til me golach...yer one o' them :lol:
Trix, you make it sound as if I regularly pm you.....I dont ......I pm'd you once, to ask you to desist in repping me, thats all. I did thank you for the good rep though.

percy toboggan
04-Apr-08, 19:50
I've read through all this thread...it seems some people only want to post about why they don't post much and look upon minor verbal skirmishes and robustly defended opinions as though they were world war three!

As for this being the world window on Caithness well, frankly there is much more to the whole site than just the forum...and the forum is typical of many but better than most.

We shouldn't be so delicate folks...the whole gamut of life is here...oiks and the genteel...most fall somewhere in between. There are political opposites...many of whom have a grudging respect for one another...Boozebuglar for instance...who I've had many a barney with ...and at times been treated like I just crawled from underneath a stone... yet I do have a modicum of respect for her.

We must all surely know by now that we learn nothing from people who agree with us all the time.

I feel I've said more than enough.

trix
04-Apr-08, 20:01
golach....ye crack me up....

no yer intention am sure but i do lek a dry sense o humour...

choost til clear things up...(da want fowk thinkin that wur pals or anything) :eek:

....it wis only once....til tell me, 'da gie ye guid rep again...'

in a way i wis right tho golach....it will indeed be 'e 'last' pm that ye send me....[lol]

teddybear1873
04-Apr-08, 20:02
Think its just time the thread was closed. For some reason or another another new thread opens up about the same scenario. From now on i think its best if someoene doesnt like a comment on here, either just dont reply to it or report it to the mod police if need be.

Tighsonas4
04-Apr-08, 20:03
POSTING
well put lizz and to the point.as i have said in a previous thread have contact with people over the world and there just wanting to know whats happening in the old country and somedays they must wonder.
save me a place in the burrow [lol]

TBH
04-Apr-08, 20:15
I've read through all this thread...it seems some people only want to post about why they don't post much and look upon minor verbal skirmishes and robustly defended opinions as though they were world war three!

As for this being the world window on Caithness well, frankly there is much more to the whole site than just the forum...and the forum is typical of many but better than most.

We shouldn't be so delicate folks...the whole gamut of life is here...oiks and the genteel...most fall somewhere in between. There are political opposites...many of whom have a grudging respect for one another...Boozebuglar for instance...who I've had many a barney with ...and at times been treated like I just crawled from underneath a stone... yet I do have a modicum of respect for her.

We must all surely know by now that we learn nothing from people who agree with us all the time.

I feel I've said more than enough.Hev ye got a problem wi' us Oiks?[lol]

Tighsonas4
04-Apr-08, 20:26
think this will soon be self explainatory eh tony[lol]

TBH
04-Apr-08, 20:31
think this will soon be self explainatory eh tony[lol]Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps.:lol:

northener
04-Apr-08, 20:57
POSTING
well put lizz and to the point.as i have said in a previous thread have contact with people over the world and there just wanting to know whats happening in the old country and somedays they must wonder.
save me a place in the burrow [lol]

Nah,

Anyone looking at the .Org will realise that this forum is no different to any other place around the world.
I've never looked, but I bet if you look on any forum that is as diverse as this one you'll find exactly the same squabbles and differences of opinion.

I honestly think that some people are a little too sensitive at times. I know we get the odd wally now and again, but I like this place.....

JAWS
04-Apr-08, 20:59
I think LIZZ clarified what she was getting at a little earlier. She has no objection to robustly defended differing points of view.

It is when Threads are diverted by a small handful of posters and end up completely ignoring any discussion which the Thread has thrown up so that personal squabbles and score settling can be engaged in on totally unrelated matters.

Robust discussion is one thing, squabbling like bairns in Kindergarten is something completely different.

trix
04-Apr-08, 21:01
I honestly think that some people are a little too sensitive at times. I know we get the odd wally now and again, but I like this place.....

mo too northener....;)

Lolabelle
05-Apr-08, 01:07

I totally agree with you Lizz, the org general section has turned into a cesspool and I cannot usually be bothered anymore. It was only boredom that got me to log in and find this thread.
IMHO the clique that is on here has destroyed what was once a fantastic welcoming forum. Now I almost want to warn people off rather that welcome them. It is only a few and one in particular that has dragged the org down. But the tone of the org is certainly been lowered, and if I didn't want to at least have the choice of visiting or not, I would most likely say something that would get me thrown off for life.

hotrod4
05-Apr-08, 07:09
Maybe its just me but i cant see a clique on here.
I can see some people agree more with some than others, but maybe they just have the same ideas?
I love a good "discussion" and have had the odd barny with some though i dont take it personal or dish it out personal.
I agree with percy if we all agreed it would be a very bland and boring place.
The way i deal with it is if i like what i read i agree and say so, if I strongly disagree i reply, if it looks childish and insensitive i leave well alone and ignore.
We are all on here together and need to "live and let live", but i wouldnt agree just to keep it all sweetness and light, we are all individuals and also part of a group.

Oddquine
05-Apr-08, 09:21
Hands up the clique members..and can I join?

I'm sorry to see some people objecting because the forum is not being conducted in a manner which pleases their sensibilities. I know of one forum which closed because of continual bickering about "cliques" and "unfairness" and demands for "guilty" members to be removed. :~(

If threads are hijacked for personal arguments etc. isn't that what we have moderators and the report button to deal with?

Does it really do any good to start threads like this?

I'm of the opinion that if you (generic you btw) can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen..there are many other rooms in this mansion.

Angela
05-Apr-08, 09:26
I think LIZZ clarified what she was getting at a little earlier. She has no objection to robustly defended differing points of view.

It is when Threads are diverted by a small handful of posters and end up completely ignoring any discussion which the Thread has thrown up so that personal squabbles and score settling can be engaged in on totally unrelated matters.

Robust discussion is one thing, squabbling like bairns in Kindergarten is something completely different.

Exactly, JAWS. This is what I took Lizz to mean and just the thoughts I hoped I'd also been able to express.

Of course this forum -like the real world -would be desperately dull, boring and bland if there was no disagreement. I don't think anybody wants that -what would we discuss? :roll:

As long as threads are deliberately taken off course for the sole purpose of goading others and scoring cheap points, there's little hope of having any reasoned discussion. That's why a lot of folk have given up posting -not because they're delicate plants who want everyone to agree with their views and can't face opposition, but because so often it seems plain impossible to have a decent debate.:(