PDA

View Full Version : Tartan Armys behaviour

golach
14-Nov-05, 17:13
Was anyone at the International at Hampden on Sat? I have just read that the Tartan Army were booing and chanting when the USA's national anthem was played...Why did they do that?
This seemingly is not the first time this has happened, it happened to the Italian and Belarussian anthems too. To me this is borderline RACISM.
The Tartan Army was famous for the good behaviour and sense of humour, what has happened?
I know myself I would be insensed and feel very insulted if I heard anyone booing and whistling whilst our so called national anthem "Flower of Scotland" was being played and sung.

willowbankbear
14-Nov-05, 17:31
Was anyone at the International at Hampden on Sat? I have just read that the Tartan Army were booing and chanting when the USA's national anthem was played...Why did they do that?
This seemingly is not the first time this has happened, it happened to the Italian and Belarussian anthems too. To me this is borderline RACISM.
The Tartan Army was famous for the good behaviour and sense of humour, what has happened?
I know myself I would be insensed and feel very insulted if I heard anyone booing and whistling whilst our so called national anthem "Flower of Scotland" was being played and sung. Drunken Numpties in skirts, Make me ashamed to be Scottish some of them,Glorified in the press, I heard them booing-abs disgrace like the team they were watching:mad: :mad: :mad:

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 17:39
I blame the Kilt myelf, ever since it came into fashion with the tartan army circa 1980 it has gone downhill - I will go so far as to say when Scotland fans stopped being Scotland Fans and became the Tartan Army it went downhill.

I also think that lovely ditty Flower of Scotland (couipled in the rise of Scottish Nationalism) is to blame for the ignorance, racism and bigotry amongst the Scotland support.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 17:54
I blame the Kilt myelf, ever since it came into fashion with the tartan army circa 1980 it has gone downhill - I will go so far as to say when Scotland fans stopped being Scotland Fans and became the Tartan Army it went downhill.

I also think that lovely ditty Flower of Scotland (couipled in the rise of Scottish Nationalism) is to blame for the ignorance, racism and bigotry amongst the Scotland support.

I agree, in that Flower of Scotland is an anti-English song. Why do we no longer sing Scotland The Brave?

scotsboy
14-Nov-05, 18:00
Think nobody knew the words!! We all just used to give it:

De De De De De De De
De De De De De De De
De De De De De De De De De De De
De De De De De De De
De De De De De De De
De De De De De De De
Scotland The Brave

golach
14-Nov-05, 20:40
I agree, in that Flower of Scotland is an anti-English song. Why do we no longer sing Scotland The Brave?

Hmmm and God Save the Queen is not anti - Scottish Pepsi? Go to verse 2
Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the Queen.

moshmosh
14-Nov-05, 21:57
I think you will find that there is always a minority who will "boo" the opposition at an international match no matter where it is, a minority will always be louder than a silent majority.

regalkings
14-Nov-05, 22:33
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
God save the Queen.

was it not written by a scotsman? and rebel scots, i'm no rebel so it don't bother me, bit of a unionist to be honest.

the papers, bill leckie being the main one, slag the old firm but think everything the Tartan Army do is fun, very anti-english, very RACIST
. do you think the americans think booing their anthem is funny, i think not, they've started wars for less.

oh and they can stick their 'flower of scotland' where the sun don't shine, right up leckies ar*e.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 23:37
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
God save the Queen.

I never commented on God Save The Queen, golach; sorry.

golach
14-Nov-05, 23:50
I never commented on God Save The Queen, golach; sorry.
Never said you did mentioned it I was just pointing out that the English Anthem had a Racist element in it, maybe I was being too pedantic :~(

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Nov-05, 00:03
OK, man, whate...

scotsboy
15-Nov-05, 06:07
The verse you quote as "verse two" no longer exists, it was actually verse five - it also ended God Save the King.

It is also not the English National Anthem, it is the UK National Anthem.

Like RegalKings I have no problem with crushing rebelious Scots.

Stormblast
15-Nov-05, 11:41
As I was present at both the last two games, before the USA one, I can safely say nobody booed either the Belarussian or Italian anthems. In fact having been at countless games the only anthem to get booed was the English. I reckon even Uruguay these days wouldnt get much grief

As a rule nobodies anthem gets booed at Hampden unlike England who boo everything from San Marino to us. Does anyone need to be reminded of the scenes on Wearside when they played Turkey. Very civilised

I'd rather be a tartan clad jakie than a skin head boot boy smashing other people's culture and property to smithereens

MagicalTrevor
15-Nov-05, 11:46
I was at the Belarus game and nobody boo'd that..

However at any football match there can sometimes be a minority who boo the anthems but come on its about "we want to tan ye at football" rather than "we disagree with your countries foreign policy"

golach
15-Nov-05, 11:48
As I was present at both the last two games, before the USA one, I can safely say nobody booed either the Belarussian or Italian anthems. In fact having been at countless games the only anthem to get booed was the English. I reckon even Uruguay these days wouldnt get much grief
I'd rather be a tartan clad jakie than a skin head boot boy smashing other people's culture and property to smithereens

Stormblast many thanks for a statement from an eyewittness, it was a report I read in the Daily Mirror and which made me curious as I have never heard of this type of accusation before

willowbankbear
15-Nov-05, 11:50

As a rule nobodies anthem gets booed at Hampden unlike England who boo everything from San Marino to us. Does anyone need to be reminded of the scenes on Wearside when they played Turkey. Very civilised

I'd rather be a tartan clad jakie than a skin head boot boy smashing other people's culture and property to smithereens Im shocked at ye Stormblast, how can ye suffer 90mins of that drivel on a saturday??? You cant tell me ye enjoyed that game,it was dire as are most Jocko games nowadays. Least the proper football is back on saturday, Who fancies Big Ex job? I think Girls Aloud wid be fine