PDA

View Full Version : Places to see / roads to take

Solus
01-Apr-08, 20:05
Got some friends coming up start of May for a long weekend, I want to show them as much of the area as possible over a couple of days ( weather permiting ) It will be on motorbikes, any ideas as to places to go / nice roads to take. I going to take them to the usual, JoG, Camster, Duncansby head etc and possibly a run up west, just wondered if any one got any other ideas ?

Tugmistress
01-Apr-08, 20:16
'round the block' is a nice ride, it was fun in a car so a bike would be great :)
go west out of thurso and dependant on time available either take the turning to forsinard just before melvich, come out at helmsdale and back up the A9 orgo right over to tongue and take the road to lairg (think i got that right) come back out around the mound on the A9.

karia
01-Apr-08, 20:22
Don't deprive them of Farr Bay or Strathy point just because they are across the 'border.';)

emszxr
01-Apr-08, 20:28
its probably a bit too far but the garve to ullapool road is my favourite on the bike.
but along top to durness and down to laxford and to lairg and back onto a9 and back up. its a brill run in a day.

percy toboggan
01-Apr-08, 20:35
Did it in the car - quite fastish last year...mostly single track but some good non-blind spot stretches great for a bike...it was travelling back down from Tongue to Lairg via Altnaharra...not sure of the number. Dunno what kind of riders you are...sporty or like me...laid back in the landscape cruiser type no rush, few risks.

Solus
02-Apr-08, 10:41
Thanks for the info, weather permitting I think it may well round the block, sounds ideal and keep the Lairg one for the summer.

canuck
02-Apr-08, 11:59
The drive from Melvich to Helmsdale is spectacular.
But so is the trip from Melvich, through to Tongue and then to Lairg.

Good luck and enjoy.