PDA

View Full Version : at whose convenience?

cuddlepop
01-Apr-08, 15:18
We have just opened our refurbished toilets at a cost of £140,ooo.

If your disabled you'll have to go before 5pm,Monday-friday and actually go to the council offices,park,pick up,drive to another carpark and then walk across a road go 75yards before you get to use the toilet.:eek:

These toilets are frequently trashed,if we're lucky we might just get this season out of them.

Portree Public Toilets Upgraded (01/04/08)

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/3CA7CDAD-0463-437B-9F9B-394CBC32DD2C/0/PORTREENEWTOILETS.jpg (http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/3CA7CDAD-0463-437B-9F9B-394CBC32DD2C/0/PORTREENEWTOILETS.jpg)

Public toilets in the centre of Portree on the Isle of Skye have received a £140K refurbishment and are now open for use by visitors and locals.
The works were carried out by The Highland Council’s TEC Services with design and supervision by the Council’s Housing and Property Services. The refurbishments have made the toilets a more pleasant facility for the public to use with under floor heating and new sinks, toilets and vinyl wall coverings.
Designs include energy efficiency instalments like sky-lights to allow natural light into the building as well as light and tap sensors to switch on and off the lighting and taps by movement thus saving electricity and water.
Councillor John Laing, Chairman of The Highland Council’s TEC Services said: “I congratulate our staff for their hard work in getting Portree’s public toilets up to a high standard, especially Community Works Officer, Richard Cairns who has played a big part in over-seeing the refurbishment. This vital facility not only serves locals but also visitors that we welcome to our area. Provision of quality facilities can reflect highly on people’s perceptions of an area. I urge everyone that uses the toilets to look after these facilities well, and leave them in the pristine state in which you find them.”
The public toilets located at The Green in Portree have free admission and are open from Easter to October from 8am to 8pm; and during winter from November to mid-March from 8am to 6pm. Radar key access is available for people with a disability and radar keys are available during Council office hours at Tigh na Sgire, Portree.

Torvaig
01-Apr-08, 15:50
Hi CP; a Radar key offers independent access to disabled people to around 4,000 locked public toilets around the country. There is even a special one for people who find them difficult to turn. You get the key to keep for use wherever the special toilets are available. I'm sure there will be a list available; it's a great idea.

It enables these toilets to be locked, to prevent vandalism and misuse. I would ask at the Council offices for a key; not sure if you need to provide proof of disablement but I'm sure the staff will enlighten you; good luck!

cuddlepop
01-Apr-08, 16:34
Hi CP; a Radar key offers independent access to disabled people to around 4,000 locked public toilets around the country. There is even a special one for people who find them difficult to turn. You get the key to keep for use wherever the special toilets are available. I'm sure there will be a list available; it's a great idea.

It enables these toilets to be locked, to prevent vandalism and misuse. I would ask at the Council offices for a key; not sure if you need to provide proof of disablement but I'm sure the staff will enlighten you; good luck!
Thats good to here that you get to keep your key but what if your a foreigner over here on holiday?
I dont mean to pick holes in this great idea but why the need to lock them seperatly?:confused

Torvaig
01-Apr-08, 22:58
Thats good to here that you get to keep your key but what if your a foreigner over here on holiday?
I dont mean to pick holes in this great idea but why the need to lock them seperatly?:confused

It means that toilets for the disabled are always available (where they exist) when you have a RADAR key and I would think that a disabled traveller would research such facilities before their journey just as they would research anything else pertaining to their condition.

I know we have a long way to go to have everything available to the disabled as well as to the able-bodied but times they are a-changing.....:)

Fran
04-Apr-08, 01:12
The keys are £2.75 each, and at night the light goes on automatically when you unlock the door. there is one just inside the toilets at Inverness rail station, none at aberdeen which is very disabled unfriendly.

poppett
04-Apr-08, 11:32
Along with my key I purchased the book of Radar keys in Britain. It has been put to good use nationwide. However Highland Council have in their wisdom put the disabled toilets at Daviot wood behind a locked metal grille, not just when they are closed for the winter, but all the time.

The book also gives pubs with radar facilities (Wotherspoons in Wick is one) where the facilities can be used without having to purchase food and drink.

Personally I do not grudge having to buy a cuppy to get the use of a clean loo, but it is better if the two don`t have to go together.

Newtonmore Ralia disabled facility is good, Dunbeath also, but Brora and Golspie are truly awful, although I heard yesterday Golspie may be getting a superloo......Hope it`s not one of the ones where you have to stand outside listening to gushing water whilst it self cleans as this is truly the worst form of torture for anyone with poor bladder control!

This may end up as the best/worst toilet forum before the orgers are done

cuddlepop
04-Apr-08, 11:44
Brand new toilets just opened this week and yes the joiners were out today,something wrong with the disabled toilet lock.:roll:

Who is responsible for informing you that Radar Keys are available because we knew nothing about them.?

poppett
04-Apr-08, 11:56
I saw the name RADAR on the locks for the disabled loos and googled it to find the website and sent a cheque for the key and book direct to the company. It was returned within a few days. Excellent service.