View Full Version : Seafood

Chligh
30-Mar-08, 20:52
Has anyone tasted limpets?

northener
30-Mar-08, 20:55

Nope, but I intend to.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall comments on them in his River Cottage books. Not bad, but a bit bland.

karia
30-Mar-08, 21:21
[quote=northener;366878Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall comments on them in his River Cottage books. Not bad, but a bit bland..[/quote]

Sorry for the obvious..but Hugh's a little bland?

Or the limpets?!:roll:

Didn't even know he had a backing group!;)

Kevin Milkins
30-Mar-08, 21:31
I think there are some that you have to be carefull of as they can make you ill.I cant just remember who or when I had this discusion with but do keep us informed. If we get no reply within a month we can assume you ate the wrong ones.lol:lol:

northener
30-Mar-08, 22:14
Sorry for the obvious..but Hugh's a little bland?

Or the limpets?!

Didn't even know he had a backing group!;)

Some days, I wonder why I bother...........:D

northener
30-Mar-08, 22:17
I think there are some that you have to be carefull of as they can make you ill.I cant just remember who or when I had this discusion with but do keep us informed. If we get no reply within a month we can assume you ate the wrong ones.lol:lol:

Ones from good tidal ranges away from outlets should be fine. If I remember rightly, they're not subject to as many probs as other shellfish. Providing you cook them thoroughly.

Keep you eyes on the Obituary column on .Org....

karia
30-Mar-08, 22:41
Ones from good tidal ranges away from outlets should be fine. If I remember rightly, they're not subject to as many probs as other shellfish. Providing you cook them thoroughly.

Keep you eyes on the Obituary column on .Org....

If you aren't prawn to that sort of thing then you cod be squids in..only you can Mullet over...

..herring you!;)

And not Mackering a beeg deal about it!:lol:

EDDIE
30-Mar-08, 22:52

no but if its like eating muscles its like chewing rubber

unicorn
30-Mar-08, 23:23
Just the thought makes my stomach squirm and churn :eek::confused

hell raizer
30-Mar-08, 23:27
i love my sea food but i draw the line at eating limpets[disgust]

Joefitz
30-Mar-08, 23:28
If you treat them right, done in a broiler with a little garlic and lemon, a little tough, but you have to remember they are all muscle.........MMMMMMMMMMMm

Rie
31-Mar-08, 10:29
i was just about to say the same , cant beat limpets with garlic and lemmon,
it is an art to get them just right but when you do you will know and i hope you will enjoy them.

highbury
31-Mar-08, 10:33
put em on a hook and catch a cod or a bass, that'll taste better !!

_Ju_
31-Mar-08, 10:35
Thats right, Joe. Just make sure you pick them in a place with clean water: ie not close to sewage outlets, in ports, etc. In Portugal we say you shouldn't eat shell fish in months that do not have an "r" in them (ie: May, June, July, august) but biological pollution is more of a problem down there (warmer water) and in those months the shell fish will have been laying eggs, so are not in the best of physical conditions.

I am not sure what you mean by brioler, but put them under a gril or in a grill pan with a drizzle of olive oil and garlic. They cook very quickly. When you take them out, season with lemon and/or a hot sauce ( tabasco).

anneoctober
31-Mar-08, 19:40
Oh my gosh........ I'm not feeling so good now.....can't think WHY? [para]

_Ju_
31-Mar-08, 19:48
It's good clean protein. Cleaner than any sausage, bacon or ham you might fancy, by the way! Highly unlikely that you'll get e-coli 0157 or campylobacter off it anyway!

The squemishness reminds me of a story/joke my grandad used to tell: a man went to restaurant and asked what the dish of the day was. The garcon replied tongue, to which the man exclaimed in absolute horror that he could NEVER eat something that came from the mouth of an animal, and asked for an omlete instead!;)

domino
31-Mar-08, 20:24
mussels are browsers,not filterers, and therefore should be safer if picked in the right location. A bit tough, but tasty enough. Always remove the black bits.
Never liked to use them as bait as there were better alternatives

thebigman
31-Mar-08, 21:41
mussels are browsers,not filterers, and therefore should be safer if picked in the right location. A bit tough, but tasty enough. Always remove the black bits.
Never liked to use them as bait as there were better alternatives

Wrong way round there mate, limpets are the algae feeders.

domino
01-Apr-08, 20:09
Wrong way round there mate, limpets are the algae feeders.
Apologies.Genuine mistake

south view 7
01-Apr-08, 21:26
We use to boil them in an old can at the shore when we were kids.they are very rubbery but never did us any harm,any harm,any harm!!!!**8*8*8