PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Sunday

percy toboggan
30-Mar-08, 16:34
Amidst great fan-fare a store was opened ten minutes away from here just a couple of years ago. Today I paid my second visit to this seemingly essential emporium of bargain buys and ludicrously named tat. Nordic monikers appeal to the British consumer it seems...

..Actually things seemed to have improved a tad....we actually bought summat this time.....a Flaarke!
http://t0boggan.wordpress.com/2008/03/30/flat-pack-palavah/

rockchick
30-Mar-08, 19:29
Ahhhh...the EVIL STORE! So named because, once you get in, you CAN'T GET OUT...until you have run the gamut, hopefully picking up various and sundries on the way in your lovely acid yellow shopping bag...

Course, I'm biased...I'm sitting on an Ikea Poang chair as I type this, and it is easy on the eye, and very comfortable to sit in...mind you, I bought it second hand on Ebay for a tenner, so am a little better off than the poor sod who paid £122 for it retail, but hey, who's counting?

I do like Ikea tho. They provide reasonably priced products that usually provide value for the money that you spend on them. Brilliant for people just starting out, especially their kitchen starter boxes. For £55 you get everything you need (albeit at a very basic level) to cook for yourself, from a peeler to a large(ish) pot). and it's FUN shopping there, especially if you go when it's not too crowded.

percy toboggan
30-Mar-08, 20:04
Brilliant for people just starting out.

Yep...I can't argue with that...in fact the very same thought crossed my anguished mind as I was ambling aimlessly along those hallowed halls...great for singles, young couple start-ups...the newly divorced, baby men finally kicked out at 32 etc...etc

(The Rolling Stones loomed large in my mind...sorry...it ocassionally happens)

northener
30-Mar-08, 21:03
A Flaarke?

One of these was referred to in the Viking Orkneying Saga.

Harald Half-Wit and his cousin Sigurd The Indifferent fought valiantly with a Flaarke just by the bus shelter outside the Torvhaug Inn in Kirkwall. Eventually the Flaarke was killed after it fell backwards under the wooden wheels of the 8.31 Ox-cart to Stromness.

They still sing of this fight in the Long Houses and Mead-Halls of Bergen to this day.

Funny where Flaarkes' turn up......

percy toboggan
31-Mar-08, 17:27
A Flaarke?

One of these was referred to in the Viking Orkneying Saga.

Harald Half-Wit and his cousin Sigurd The Indifferent fought valiantly with a Flaarke just by the bus shelter outside the Torvhaug Inn in Kirkwall. Eventually the Flaarke was killed after it fell backwards under the wooden wheels of the 8.31 Ox-cart to Stromness.

They still sing of this fight in the Long Houses and Mead-Halls of Bergen to this day.

Funny where Flaarkes' turn up......

:lol:..thanks for the smile inducing post.

northener
31-Mar-08, 18:34
Ok, I give up.

It would appear that a Flaarke is not the mythological creature I was thinking of.

Unfortunately, messrs Google & Yahoo esq. can shed no further light on what sort of critter a Flaarke actually is.

Come on Percy put me out of my misery!

percy toboggan
31-Mar-08, 18:54
It's one of these Northener...though there's only one 'a' in it...hardly does the name justice really....functional though...and cheap.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50081744

northener
31-Mar-08, 20:30
Gawd, I'm disappointed.

karia
31-Mar-08, 20:38
Gawd, I'm disappointed.

You're disappointed??:eek:

It's not even a mythical bookcase....'oh that its so so solid shelves should melt and............!';)

northener
31-Mar-08, 20:58
"Is this MDF I see before me?"

percy toboggan
01-Apr-08, 17:59
"Is this MDF I see before me?"

Chipboard innit?
Not so grand as MDF.
Veneered though, so I maintain my credibility as a man of taste.
It's now full of Princess books/Medieval tales and a few dolls...not to mention
'Big Bruiser' on the top shelf.

...a JCB type digger that sounds fab.

northener
01-Apr-08, 20:44
Chipboard innit?
Not so grand as MDF.
Veneered though, so I maintain my credibility as a man of taste.
It's now full of Princess books/Medieval tales and a few dolls...not to mention
'Big Bruiser' on the top shelf.

...a JCB type digger that sounds fab.

I'm a bit worried about the dolls. Surely, being a roughy-toughy truck driving kind of guy, you mean Action Men?

percy toboggan
01-Apr-08, 20:58
I'm a bit worried about the dolls. Surely, being a roughy-toughy truck driving kind of guy, you mean Action Men?

I might be rough but I'm no tough ;)
the Flarke sits proudly in the wee room our grand-daughter makes her own when she comes to stay.

northener
01-Apr-08, 21:11
the Flarke sits proudly in the wee room our grand-daughter makes her own when she comes to stay.

Now it definitely sounds like some sort of beastie!