PDA

View Full Version : Parents Beware

hotrod4
30-Mar-08, 13:52
Just to let parents know, my 15 year old son was "gestured" towards a large silver estate car(Volvo type) by a male in Wick. Thought nothing more off it until my 12 year old girl came home and told me a silver car pulled over beside her friend and when she went to run it followed her. It may be co-incidence but thought I should let parents know as it seems strange that this has happened.
Cant report it to the police as dont have any concrete info to give them.

If I have my wires crossed will hold up my hands and admit it, but seems a little to close for comfort.
Dont want to alarm anyone but best if parents know and make their own minds up.
Not trying to start a witch hunt as I dont know of any incidents from anyone else but you can never be too careful.

DeHaviLand
30-Mar-08, 14:01
Just to let parents know, my 15 year old son was "gestured" towards a large silver estate car(Volvo type) by a male in Wick. Thought nothing more off it until my 12 year old girl came home and told me a silver car pulled over beside her friend and when she went to run it followed her. It may be co-incidence but thought I should let parents know as it seems strange that this has happened.
Cant report it to the police as dont have any concrete info to give them.

If I have my wires crossed will hold up my hands and admit it, but seems a little to close for comfort.
Dont want to alarm anyone but best if parents know and make their own minds up.
Not trying to start a witch hunt as I dont know of any incidents from anyone else but you can never be too careful.

You can, and must, report it to police. Right now!!!

skimeister
30-Mar-08, 14:03
You can, and must, report it to police. Right now!!!

Have you called them now ???

anneoctober
30-Mar-08, 14:05
I agree wi DHL, hotrod4. Maybe they can't do anything at the moment, but at least they will be aware of the potential for a crime to take place. As you say, you can't be too careful wi bairns safety.

MadPict
30-Mar-08, 14:32
Report it - or are you waiting for the headlines "Child snatched by man in silver Volvo".......

I am sure the police would prefer to look into 'suspicious' activity and find it is just an innocent motorist looking for directions...

hotrod4
30-Mar-08, 15:11
Report it - or are you waiting for the headlines "Child snatched by man in silver Volvo".......

I am sure the police would prefer to look into 'suspicious' activity and find it is just an innocent motorist looking for directions...

As i have stated, my son was a bit vague on the description, it may, may not be a Volvo, the incidents may not be linked. I dont want to waste the police time on what may be nothing.
It happened 4 days ago and may just be innocent.
Only posted so parents can keep an eye out and to see if there were any "related" incidents which are linked and would help the police.
Hoping its nothing but an overactive imagination.
Will leave it be at the mo.

Dont like the accusation of "waiting for the headlines", found that in VERY bad taste and doesnt really help anyone :(

justine
30-Mar-08, 15:14
to be honest it would be better to contact the police only if it is to let them know..There cant be that many cars cruising around looking for your kids...It is good that you have warned parents but i know if my kids had told me i would have phoned them striaght away, you never knowt the police may have had someone make the same complaint and they may even know about it...Always better to be open and cautious..

Hope your kids weren't affected by this, i can imagine it would be really frightening for them....

MadPict
30-Mar-08, 15:26
hotrod4,
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you - I was trying to point out that not saying anything may be too late.

I think the police should be the ones to decide whether your information is useful or just an innocent incident. Not the few parents who just might happen to look at the forums and just might have a child that may just have mentioned a silver car and a male acting suspiciously...

The police get 1000's of reports every year from parents about suspicious cars & drivers. They have the reports logged and no doubt similar incidents will flag up very quickly on their system. Posting it here will not help IMO as the police don't read these forums to gather intelligence.

A phone call to your local station to pass on your concerns is the best way to proceed - let them disseminate the info to those who are in a position to watch out for silver cars (of whatever make) driving around the locality.

highlander
30-Mar-08, 15:36
I have to agree to get in touch with the police, you never know maybe someone else has already been to the police about it before, best make them aware and let them decide if any more action should be taken.

floyed
30-Mar-08, 15:36
If it was me i would of reported it. I would rather feel silly for it being something completely innocent, than not saying and something happening.

trix
30-Mar-08, 15:46
i ken, think how bad ye'd feel if ye did read 'e headlines mentioned above. even if yer piece o' evidence widna o' helped matters, it wil ease yer conscience.

hind sight is 'e best sight....

unicorn
30-Mar-08, 15:52
When I was young someone tried to get me into their car I never told a soul but someone who saw it reported it and the police were at the door the next day, it is better to be safe than sorry report it for sure.

Venture
30-Mar-08, 16:09
As i have stated, my son was a bit vague on the description, it may, may not be a Volvo, the incidents may not be linked. I dont want to waste the police time on what may be nothing.
Only posted so parents can keep an eye out and to see if there were any "related" incidents which are linked and would help the police.

Dont like the accusation of "waiting for the headlines", found that in VERY bad taste and doesnt really help anyone :(

If the incident happened four days ago why are you only posting it now? Would it not have been better to have done something about it at the time. That in itself would have been more helpful to the police than asking parents on here for information. Surely the best people to tell you about other related incidents would be the police.

trix
30-Mar-08, 16:11
When I was young someone tried to get me into their car I never told a soul but someone who saw it reported it and the police were at the door the next day, it is better to be safe than sorry report it for sure.

i hed an incident that happened til me too when i wis little an'a niver said a word.

now that am beeg, i always wonder......[disgust]

if i kent then fit i ken now.....

Solus
30-Mar-08, 16:44
Report it, no matter how vague ! They will log it and even follow it up. Specially if others have reported similiar info they then know that someone may or may not be up to no good. The police will then keep an eye open for car that matches descriptions given and should it be acting suspiciously they can pull it over.

EDDIE
30-Mar-08, 17:21

madpict has a point u should have reported it its better to be safe than sorry

ciderally
30-Mar-08, 17:35
i agree best to give the police a call...dont matter if it was last week...

KCI
30-Mar-08, 18:29
I think I would report it - for your own peace of mind as well as for the safety of other children.

But, thank you for posting the warning on here as well! I'm sure all parents are really vigilant now anyway, but hearing something like this will make us all even more vigilant.

Please report it to the police - I'm sure they will not think you are wasting their time, and even if you don't have any concrete info, at least it will give the police a warning, so they can be on the lookout as well.

percy toboggan
30-Mar-08, 18:41
I agree with the concensus...let the Police know.

As someone said there can't be 'many cars cruising looking for kids' ....there can be even fewer silver Volvo Estate cars doing the same thing...if indeed this was the case.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'gesturing' I don't want to know the details either. This could have a harmless, innocent explanation but if others have experienced the same problem, or do tomorrow..or the next day the Police will be forewarned.

©Amethyst
30-Mar-08, 18:42
It's like a story I once heard...

Little old lady getting mugged in busy park. No one calls the police because they all assume someone else will. Mugger is now free to attack someone else.

In these incidents it's your childrens safety that you must all think of. The Highlands aren't as safe as they once were, unfortunately.

A friend of mine had warned a young lad in merkinch off causing trouble last weekend. That boy is now facing a murder charge.

Please just let the police know that this has happened. And you may very well not have been the first to report it.

It would be wonderful to be able to trust the man or woman walking down the street so readily like we could have done 15 years ago. Sadly it's not the case any more.

Even if the police can't do anything about it, they could always contact schools and be a little more vigilant of suspicious activity.

Better safe than sorry, isn't it?

ywindythesecond
30-Mar-08, 18:47
I have alerted Wick police to this thread.

hotrod4
30-Mar-08, 18:50
Have spoken to my son who is reluctant to take it any further.
As i wasnt there at the time dont want to force him.
I can understand peoples concerns, but i dont want to put my son off by forcing him to tell the Police about something that he says "was nothing".
He said he may have read it wrong, at his age I dont want to push him as we all know what teenagers are like!
I was going to contact the police but after he stated a categorically "NO", it wouldnt be fair to betray his trust.
Thanks to all who replied.

hotrod4
30-Mar-08, 18:52

Thanks for that, I know i should have done it, but as stated Son doesnt want any involvement.
Once again thank you.

balto
30-Mar-08, 19:06
my god i hope the police take this very seriously , as who know where it might end up.

Julia
30-Mar-08, 19:47
I was just wondering how often parents remind their children not to speak to strangers?

I'm always going on to mine about it and saying not to get into anyone's car even if the person says they know mummy or daddy and have been sent to pick them up.

©Amethyst
30-Mar-08, 19:53

I'm glad someone did, and the thought had crossed my mind. Was about to pick the phone up when I saw this. Thank you.

Kevin Milkins
30-Mar-08, 19:58
For sale
1 Large silver car
One carefull owner never raced or rallied.
Taxed and MOT till Christmas
£6-75 ONO for very quick sale.:lol: