PDA

View Full Version : cat help

twee dledum
13-Nov-05, 20:30
Our cat Flech was sadly knocked down this morning. Thankfully the driver came to our door but Flech died shortly afterwards before we could get her to a vet.
I would never consider getting another cat just now, we are too heartbroken.
Even though I know I couldn't have prevented this, I can't help wishing we had kept her in.
What I was wondering is, what do people think of keeping cats indoors?
Is it cruel or is it ok if they dont know any better?
Flech was an older cat, we got from balmore rescue and was used to going out when we got her so it felt cruel to keep her in.
Can anyone give me some advise please?

sandie
13-Nov-05, 20:35
Our cat Flech was sadly knocked down this morning. Thankfully the driver came to our door but Flech died shortly afterwards before we could get her to a vet.
Even though I know I couldn't have prevented this, I can't help wishing we had kept her in.
Flech was an older cat, we got from balmore rescue and was used to going out when we got her so it felt cruel to keep her in.
Hi if you want to keep a cat indoors you are better off getting a 6mnth kitten so that you can house train it.
I dont think it is sad to keep a cat inside but they will try to get out.
I know someone that has trained thier cat to go no further than thier garden so i hope any off these answers are a help to you.
I am so sorry to hear about you cat.

twee dledum
13-Nov-05, 20:42
Thanks Sandie, Im grateful for any advise.
I wonder how easy it was to train the cat to stay in the garden. Do you think you could maybe find out for me? I live near a busy road and would never want something like this to happen again.
Flech was part of the family so its hard to imagine being without her.

porshiepoo
13-Nov-05, 20:48
Sorry about your cat! I've lost two dogs the same way!

If you're thinking of getting a house cat then my advice would either be rescue one that you know to be a house cat or get a kitten that you can bring up as a house cat.
There are some breeds that will take better to being house cats than others but make sure you have loads to entertain them inside.
I have 2 birman cats who were bought up as house cats but are very very destructive inside - they will shred wallpaper.
I think persians and ragdolls make good house cats but you'd be better of seeking expert advice.

Sympathies again!

thrumsterloon
13-Nov-05, 20:48
Both of our cats were outdoor cats for about the first year of their lives, until one of them was knocked down by a car. After that we built a cat run attached to our house which they stay in during the day but come inside in the evening, they only took about 2 weeks to get used to the run and both are aged around 10 now.
keeping a cat indoors is definately not sad!

Liz
13-Nov-05, 20:50

First of all I am so sorry about Flech and send you my sincere condolences.

With re indoor cats there are those who will say it is 'cruel' but I personally have house cats and they are very happy and show no signs of wanting out.
As long as they have plenty to play with and lots of room to run around in they are fine.

As Sandie said it is best if they are kept in as kittens.

I would never keep a cat in against their will and as Flech was used to going out when you got her then you did the right thing in letting her out even though this does obviously carry risks.

However, although her life was cut cruelly short, Flech was one of the lucky ones as she knew what it was like to be loved and cared for and someone is sad that she has gone unlike some poor strays.

In time when you are ready I hope you will be able to give a home to another cat and can then make the choice as to whether you have a 'house cat'.

sandie
13-Nov-05, 20:50
hi yeah i really dont know how they managed it.
I will try to find out for you but i dont contact this person anymore so might not beable to.
If i cant i hope you can find out with someone else or even books from the libary.

crashbandicoot1979
13-Nov-05, 20:54
Really sorry to hear about poor Flech, you must be devastated. It was really good of the driver to come to your door - there are many people that would have just left the poor thing at the side of the road. As for keeping cats indoors, I agree that it is better to adopt an older cat that is used to being indoors or get a kitten of a particular breed that is happy to be indoors. In my experience most cats want to go outside but I see nothing wrong with keeping them inside provided that they are happy and don't know any better. Not sure how you could train them to stay in your garden, although as the above person said, you could keep them in a large run. I know a few people that do this and their cats seem perfectly happy.

twee dledum
13-Nov-05, 20:56
Thanks for the advise. its a great help.
If I was to get a kitten in future and planned to keep it indoors would it maybe be better to get two as company for each other as I am out all day?
Or are they perfectly happy on their own?

sandie
13-Nov-05, 21:01
Really sorry to hear about poor Flech, you must be devastated. It was really good of the driver to come to your door - there are many people that would have just left the poor thing at the side of the road. As for keeping cats indoors, I agree that it is better to adopt an older cat that is used to being indoors or get a kitten of a particular breed that is happy to be indoors. In my experience most cats want to go outside but I see nothing wrong with keeping them inside provided that they are happy and don't know any better. Not sure how you could train them to stay in your garden, although as the above person said, you could keep them in a large run. I know a few people that do this and their cats seem perfectly happy.
i really dont know how the owner off the cats that i have mentioned managed to keep the cats in the garden.
I thought it was pritty wierd when i got told but when i actually saw it then i believed it lol.

crashbandicoot1979
13-Nov-05, 21:02
I would say get two for the added entertainment value! Plus I think its nice for them to have a companion particularly if they are going to be indoor cats. However cats can be quite happy on their own so i guess its whichever you prefer.

crashbandicoot1979
13-Nov-05, 21:04
i really dont know how the owner off the cats that i have mentioned managed to keep the cats in the garden.
I thought it was pritty wierd when i got told but when i actually saw it then i believed it lol.

I'm sure I've heard of people training their cats to stay in their gardens. I can't imagine how they do it because I can't train my cats to do anything!!!

sandie
13-Nov-05, 21:04
If I was to get a kitten in future and planned to keep it indoors would it maybe be better to get two as company for each other as I am out all day?
i would get two if i was you.
I have six baby kittens but all have homes now as they are just ready to go and i really think if anyone keeps it in door has asked for two.

sandie
13-Nov-05, 21:12
I'm sure I've heard of people training their cats to stay in their gardens. I can't imagine how they do it because I can't train my cats to do anything!!!
i know i really wish i knew how they could do it.
It wont be long for me to get my own house i would'nt want my cat to be run down.
I wont be able to keep it in the house the whole time as am an asthmatic.
So what does people think just not get any animals or what??

_Ju_
13-Nov-05, 21:18
I am very sorry for your loss. I undertand how yo must be feeling, and also know that a new pet will not take the place of another. But once a person has had the priveledge of caring fo a cat, its very difficult to live without them.
Cats are very adaptable, especially when starting from a young age. A house cat can be a very happy cat. Two house cats are usually even happier. They do keep eachother company. The trick is choosing two that get along.If you do decide for 2, it's 99% garanteed that they will get along.
Females also tend to be more homely than males, even neutered males. To make sure that theydon't wonder off hen in season it ould also be a goo idea to get a female fixed as well ( besides which, a queen in heat locked indoors would drive anyone crazy!!!!).
My sisters two house cats are really happy with their cat furniture (Poles wraped in string that suport small table covered in fake fur material) that allowes viewing the great outdoors and the busy road outside from a very comfortable perch and stops the human furniture from being scratched. To encourage the use of these poles for scratching, especially at the begining, use catnip ( IT WORKS!!!!!!! Most of the time)
If you do have a house cat, make sure to allow them to get unfiltered sunshine once in a while.When a cat is sunbathing, the are actually producing vitamins through their skin, that they the ingest by licking and if my memory serves me correctly, sunshine that is filtered through a window does not simulate this vitamin production.
As for house training, I have never met a cat that is not inherently house trained. A kitten might make a mistake if they cannot find the litter tray in time.Just show the at the litter box first thing when tey get home. If they refuse to use it 99% of the time its because of the smell of the litter. Try a different brand.

twee_dledee
13-Nov-05, 22:28
Or are they perfectly happy on their own?do i know you? you sound familiar

angela5
13-Nov-05, 23:36
:( i am so sorry to hear about flech, you must be very upset, my grandmother had an indoor cat Itchy for 9 years, sometimes she would like to have a peek out the front door if my grandmother was talking to the milkman, One morning just that was happening when a woman was passing with her very large dog,
i think a great dane?. it spotted Itchy sitting on the doorstep minding its own,
next it went straight for Itchy, poor itchy was so terrified she ran straight onto the road and into an oncoming van, she died instantly. my grandmother has never got over this and wished Itchy maybe could of had a better life, outdoors chasing birds etc.

Liz
13-Nov-05, 23:55

As you are out all day would definitely advise you to get two kittens as a kitten on it's own would be very bored as they need a lot of stimulation. Obviously you would need to make safety checks such as making sure there are no live electric cables they could chew on or curtain cords etc they could become entangled on. When you are out you could always confine them to one room with plenty of toys and climbing frames.

A nice 'hidey hole' such as a cat igloo where they could cuddle up would be a good idea.

If you don't want to build an outside run a daylight (full spectrum) bulb is a good idea as this gives them all the benefits of sunlight.

I have four cats who have been indoors since they were kittens (all moggies) and they are very happy and active cats.
I also adopted a stray who was living outside but 90% of the time he chooses to stay inside especially in the cold weather!

Whatever you decide any cat you get will be very lucky as you are obviously a very caring and conscientious owner.

angela5
14-Nov-05, 01:33
:( i don't have any advice for you, just wanted to say how sad i was to read of the loss of flech.

Chillie
14-Nov-05, 04:50
House Cats? who needs them i have garage cat and kittens who sneaked in when i had broken window left by some youth with e ball so to twee and all ye cat lovers ther free to good hom if ye can catch em,if not can some lend me a Great Dane or 2.

Liz
14-Nov-05, 14:10
Afraid we don't have room for your cats and kittens at CP just now but if you give me your details (via pm) we could arrange to have them neutered or you'll end up with a lot more!

pie2000
14-Nov-05, 14:29
Hiya
Very sorry for your sad loss . My cousin who lives near a busy road has cats and she was advised (no sure who by) to put the cat in a cage like the one you use to transport your cat around in, set the cage on the pavement and when a car drives by spray a small amount of water on the cat, they do not like this so associate it with the road and stay away from it . it did work for her although she had to do a few reminders every now an then. Not to sure what you would think of doing this it does sound a bit sad eh but hey it stopped them being run over and gave the cat freedom.

pie2000
14-Nov-05, 17:52
I thought it sounded a bit bad too when she first told me but it worked and it was a very busy road she didnt have to stand for very long for cars to pass.

twee dledum
14-Nov-05, 22:47
:) Thanks everyone for your help and advise here. It was much appreciated.
I have decided that I probably will get a couple of kittens in the future although they will never be able to replace Flech. As no-one seems to think it is cruel to keep them indoors I have decided I will definately do this.
I will probably leave it until after Christmas though before I start looking though as I am going off for a couple of weeks in December and could do without looking for a "babysitter" for them.
When I do decide to get them is it better to have 2 boys, 2 girls or 1 of each and should they be from the same litter?.
thanks in advance for any advise

angela5
14-Nov-05, 22:55
ah! nice to see you are on the road to recovery after loosing flech, they won't replace flech, but after your wee holiday you get 2 little kitties, they will bring you much joy, 2 little females from the same litter would be best,

linzy222
15-Nov-05, 11:32
If u get 2 female kittens i suggest u get them spayed as soon as they r old enough, coz if not they will meow the place down when they r in heat, til they get out, to go and look for a boyfriend, haha, well my cat does it, but then again it could be coz she has had 2 litters and is ready for more, i do let my cat out coz i feel sorry for her keeping her in and she is use to getting out, so it is hard to keep her in, but if she was never out i don't think it would bother her being kept in and i wouldn't of had 2 litters of kittens, but don't get me wrong i don't regret her having them as they were so georgous and i was lucky to get homes for them all

A friend of mine lived in London and had cats, they were boys tho and they never got out, due to busy roads etc and they didn't mind,(the cats that is) and then she moved up here and wanted them to go out as she had a big garden, but the cats were wiery of going out as they had been kept inside for years, but after a few days they would slowly go out to the garden til they got use to it and i still think now they just stay in the garden they never wander off

So it can be a good thing, keeping them in and it is safer

twee_dledee
15-Nov-05, 19:33
:) Thanks everyone for your help and advise here. It was much appreciated.
I have decided that I probably will get a couple of kittens in the future although they will never be able to replace Flech. As no-one seems to think it is cruel to keep them indoors I have decided I will definately do this.
I will probably leave it until after Christmas though before I start looking though as I am going off for a couple of weeks in December and could do without looking for a "babysitter" for them.
When I do decide to get them is it better to have 2 boys, 2 girls or 1 of each and should they be from the same litter?.
thanks in advance for any advisehey,where you going on your hols for 2 weeks,how come i know nothing of this?is twee_dledad taking you away on your own again,its just not fair,you were always his favourite

Liz
15-Nov-05, 23:02
House Cats? who needs them i have garage cat and kittens who sneaked in when i had broken window left by some youth with e ball so to twee and all ye cat lovers ther free to good hom if ye can catch em,if not can some lend me a Great Dane or 2.

If the cat is friendly we could take her and the kittens into foster care now as we managed to rehome a cat.

Please get in touch.

Thanks!