PDA

View Full Version : Day Two of Canadian Seal slaughter

ciderally
29-Mar-08, 11:58
...and the goverment are breaking all the rules....
the seals are now supposed to be blead before being skinned, but thats not happening...they are being skinned while still alive...this is just not right

groatsgirl
29-Mar-08, 12:13
...and the goverment are breaking all the rules....
the seals are now supposed to be blead before being skinned, but thats not happening...they are being skinned while still alive...this is just not right

How can people involved in this barbaric act sleep at night !! it doesn't even bare thinking about what these poor animals are going through.

Margaret M.
29-Mar-08, 13:55
Humane treatment is not a high priority for those who can do this for a living and governments that support it.

mccaugm
29-Mar-08, 14:11
Its beyond sick...I detest these yearly actions. Why do they have to be clubbed surely there is a more humane way of culling if it is totally needed. Skinning them whilst alive makes me feel sick to my stomach. Like someone else said - how can they sleep at night causing such cruelty. If this happened to family pets there would be hugh hue and cry so why not for these defenceless beautiful animals...I am so upset I could cry.:(

MadPict
29-Mar-08, 16:36
Don't buy Canadian products (having problem thinking of anything other than maple syrup) or join one of the many pressure groups campaigning against such things. It's not just baby seals that die for the sake of consumerism - see the recent pics of a whale mother and calf being dragged aboard the Japanese factory ship?
Just so that the Japs can have some nice whalemeat with their sake...Oh, sorry it's all done for "scientific research" isn't it.
Like we need to kill a species to find out more about it...

I donate to IFAW - they have campaigned against the seal slaughter along with many other atrocities...

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/default.aspx

ciderally
29-Mar-08, 16:39
i have just noticed that one of the fishing boats that was involved in this slaughter has gone missing along with the crew....is this gods revenge i wonder...i am a fishermans daughter and dread the thought that a boat and crew are reported missing.....

sandyr
31-Mar-08, 14:31
i have just noticed that one of the fishing boats that was involved in this slaughter has gone missing along with the crew....is this gods revenge i wonder...i am a fishermans daughter and dread the thought that a boat and crew are reported missing.....
God's revenge(previous post). When did God have revenge?? My father also went to the sea, and it was not his or many others belief I am sure!
And the most vocal voice against it was Heather Mills and Pamela Anderson? Lots of credibility.
I don't often 'post' on here, but there are times when if one doesn't have a responsible thought, perhaps one should not Post!

Shabbychic
31-Mar-08, 14:42
And the most vocal voice against it was Heather Mills and Pamela Anderson? Lots of credibility.

So do you agree with the seal hunts?

sandyr
31-Mar-08, 15:08
It isn't if I agree or not. It is sanctioned by the Canadian Gov't so therefor, thus far legal. There are many laws that we do agree with and do not agree with, and those of us who wish can have their say. My comment was about God. I am not really a religious zealot, but don't personally think that bringing 'The Big Fella' into it serves any purpose! Doesn't make me feel good.
Simply a statement!

justine
31-Mar-08, 15:08
Ciderally
I am totally agaqinst the cruelty of killing seals for fur or meat..but what suprises me is the fact that you profess to being against this so much but you put in detail the facts of what these poor pups are going through..maybe i am just being slightly picky, but you could have put a link to the story without you adding graphic details...Is there a need for that...I agree with your sentiments but not the way it has been described....

Shabbychic
31-Mar-08, 15:18
It isn't if I agree or not. It is sanctioned by the Canadian Gov't so therefor, thus far legal. There are many laws that we do agree with and do not agree with, and those of us who wish can have their say. My comment was about God. I am not really a religious zealot, but don't personally think that bringing 'The Big Fella' into it serves any purpose! Doesn't make me feel good.
Simply a statement!

Fair enough. My view is, just because it's legal doesn't make it right. But since your main comment was about God, I'll leave that to others to debate.

Geo
31-Mar-08, 16:55
So do you agree with the seal hunts?

If carried out humanely, is it any different from us in the UK slaughtering animals for food or clothing?

sandyr
31-Mar-08, 17:22
I think that we should view it as perhaps a necessary necessity in some way. A livelihood for those people who have very little. The East Coast of Canada is rather poor, plus it is said that the 'culling' of seals increases the cod stocks. Both the North of Scotland and Eastern Canada, and I suppose other places are lacking in fish stocks.
The sight of seeing little fluffy animals being killed is not pleasant,(but we are seing only a tiny portion of what goes on), then again we are killing animals and birds every day for 'sport'. Is that any better.?
Everyone needs a cause but my thoughts were somewhat disturbed by "God's Revenge!.. During the blessing of the Fleet, wherever it may take place, I have never heard of that phrase added on. I have been at Wick harbour, sailed in Canada and offshore United States. (and all places have the same customs). Just a personal view from me. Regards.....sr

percy toboggan
31-Mar-08, 17:51
Whilst I could throw up I'm sure at the sight of seal cubs being bludgeoned to death I realise that this practice, and this culture is so far outwith of my own life's experience, needs or requirements then I really don't deserve an opinion.

Margaret M.
31-Mar-08, 18:37
maybe i am just being slightly picky, but you could have put a link to the story without you adding graphic details...Is there a need for that...I agree with your sentiments but not the way it has been described....

The title of the thread is enough of a warning that one would probably not feel warm and fuzzy after reading the post.

scotsboy
31-Mar-08, 18:44
Their Country
Their Culture
Their Industry
Their Livlihoods

It does not look pretty, and I really don't understand the practice - but I don't live there, I was not brought up there, I don't work there and don't rely on it for my livlihood. There are many abhorant practices which those who wish to pontificate to others about seal culls support (either directly or indirectly) but because it is not shown on their TV they choose to ignore.

Margaret M.
31-Mar-08, 18:55
The East Coast of Canada is rather poor, plus it is said that the 'culling' of seals increases the cod stocks. Both the North of Scotland and Eastern Canada, and I suppose other places are lacking in fish stocks.

The seals are not to blame for the dwindling fish supply so that cannot be used to justify the slaughter. Anytime culling is necessary, it should be done humanely. The seal clubbers, for the most part, refuse to follow the rules to make the slaughter a little more humane.

http://www.theparliament.com/EN/ForumInterviews/200604/803af32e-02f5-4dfa-a797-cab0d746013c.htm

Some would argue that the seal hunting maintains biodiversity in the region – what is your position on this point of view?

"Even the Canadian experts accept that killing seals will not increase fish stocks. This was admitted by the department of fisheries scientist when there was a hearing in the Council of Europe on seal hunting in 2004. There is no scientific evidence, in fact in the past there were large healthy populations of both seals and fish. Only 1-3% of a Harp seal's diet consists of commercially fished cod, and Harps also consume many predators of cod, including squid. Taking out one element of a highly complex web to try and predict an increase in another, just doesn’t work. Seals eat a variety of food, so killing seals almost certainly does not produce any detectible increase in cod stocks. The Canadian mismanagement of fisheries is what is responsible for the crisis in cod stocks. Plus the Europeans were fishing very heavily just outside the Canadian line. It is man’s predation, not the seal’s predation that has caused the crisis in cod stocks."

ciderally
31-Mar-08, 19:32
Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

This is the largest mammal slaughter in the world. It is just a beautiful, icy landscape. The seals go there to give birth to their young because they are safe," said Wayne Pacelle, the president of the Humane Society Of The United States.

scotsboy
31-Mar-08, 19:35
Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

This is the largest mammal slaughter in the world. It is just a beautiful, icy landscape. The seals go there to give birth to their young because they are safe," said Wayne Pacelle, the president of the Humane Society Of The United States.

Is it?? The Russians have factories processing walrus, seal and whale meat - that nobody wants.

ciderally
31-Mar-08, 19:51
Is it?? The Russians have factories processing walrus, seal and whale meat - that nobody wants.
whare is it all going then? why are they still processing if no one wants it...
brings me back to the whale's again and japan.....will it ever end when there is no need

scotsboy
31-Mar-08, 19:56
whare is it all going then? why are they still processing if no one wants it...
brings me back to the whale's again and japan.....will it ever end when there is no need

I think they are slaughtered to feed caged young foxes, in fox farms (it just gets worse eh!), but the back side has fallen out the fox farm business, but the feed suppliers have not been told!

Anyway, I think you said it was the largest mammal slaughter in the World, would have to disagree, cows, sheep etc - and if you are going for at one time, I would suggest that there are a fair few goats slaughtered at Haj time in Mecca.

ciderally
31-Mar-08, 20:03
I think they are slaughtered to feed caged young foxes, in fox farms (it just gets worse eh!), but the back side has fallen out the fox farm business, but the feed suppliers have not been told!

Anyway, I think you said it was the largest mammal slaughter in the World, would have to disagree, cows, sheep etc - and if you are going for at one time, I would suggest that there are a fair few goats slaughtered at Haj time in Mecca.
aw yes i agree with you thare about the Haj ...i lived in riyadh for 8 years and heard all the stories maybe that should be world wide news as well...
the farm animals...for food
goats at the Haj...religion....sacrifice...they say they feed the poor?
seals.....not for meat just for the fur...

northener
31-Mar-08, 21:06
Hmmm..... I hear anecdotal evidence about being skinned alive, but could anyone provide direct links to independant reports on this?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'd like to draw my own conclusions.

N.

Ex-British Divers Marine Life Rescue bod........

justine
31-Mar-08, 21:22
Hmmm..... I hear anecdotal evidence about being skinned alive, but could anyone provide direct links to independant reports on this?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'd like to draw my own conclusions.

N.

Ex-British Divers Marine Life Rescue bod........

you could read this one

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/default.aspx?oid=82078

or this one
http://www.harpseals.org/index.html

Shabbychic
01-Apr-08, 00:21
If carried out humanely, is it any different from us in the UK slaughtering animals for food or clothing?

I don't believe for a minute the seals are killed humanely, and as I am a vegan, I think this answers the second part of your question.

TBH
01-Apr-08, 00:27
Why care. Carry on eating your beefburgers and forget that other innocent animals are being slaughtered to feed your cravings not just the cuddlywuddly, doe-eyed furry ones. Ban all animal slaughter or be hypocritical and only ban the slaughter of the ones that make you go Ahhhhh.

Riffman
01-Apr-08, 13:31
Next time you tuck into a ham sandwich, or eat some turkey meat just remember you are directly contributing to the animal's death.

scotsboy
01-Apr-08, 14:27
aw yes i agree with you thare about the Haj ...i lived in riyadh for 8 years and heard all the stories maybe that should be world wide news as well...
the farm animals...for food
goats at the Haj...religion....sacrifice...they say they feed the poor?
seals.....not for meat just for the fur...

I assume your argument agianst fur would be that there are alternative materials, but likewise with food, you don't have to eat meat.

bekisman
01-Apr-08, 14:45
Ciderally
Over where you are (Spain) do they still drag donkeys and mules up a tower and throw them off?

ciderally
01-Apr-08, 14:50
oh that wouldent surprize me over here...not good to animals...thank god for the xpats that have started a lot of help centers and raise monies for the animal charites...a lot of horror stories i could tell...and a lot of rescue's

TBH
01-Apr-08, 18:36
oh that wouldent surprize me over here...not good to animals...thank god for the xpats that have started a lot of help centers and raise monies for the animal charites...a lot of horror stories i could tell...and a lot of rescue'sI take it we are sending missionaries to Spain now?