PDA

View Full Version : 'Month of cannabis terrified me'

Moi x
29-Mar-08, 01:06
'Month of cannabis terrified me' (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7314812.stm) is the title of an article published on the BBC website on Wednesday. Here is a quote from it:-

"The drug totally wrecked my mind," she said. "There is no way I would want to repeat it again. Nothing made much sense to me any more."

Is one woman's experience typical and exemplary or is it media hype? It scared me and I had nothing to do with it.

Did anyone see the associated documentary, 'Should I Smoke Dope?' on BBC3? Was it objective or merely abject?

Moi x

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 01:46
Well it never did me any harm.

By the way, can you stop circulating in that neon swirl?

Moi x
29-Mar-08, 02:06
It never did me any harm either. I used to frequent all the best coffee shops but I stopped when the neon swirl started following me home every night. I swear it started near the Oude Kerk but my Christian friends saw red and I think I saw the light.

Moi x

Kevin Milkins
29-Mar-08, 02:20
I had 2 goes at it. The first time I was very sick, and the second time I lost about 6 hours of my life. I am game for a laugh and dont mind a few beers but I think that stuff long term is best left alone.

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 02:25
I have to disagree.

I smoke, have done my whole adult life.

Excess is always excess, doesn't matter what you are talking about.

Some years I only smoke once or twice, depends on the company I am keeping.

:)

Metalattakk
29-Mar-08, 02:59
I too tried it twice, but seriously, nothing gives me a bububuzz likekelike alcohomohololol.

Cheerereeres!!!

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 03:06
I am feeling ye MA
Did ye notice the Queen concert on t' telly?

Metalattakk
29-Mar-08, 03:14
Nope. I've likely seen it before. They weren't a patch on 'proper' Iron Maiden though... ;)

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 04:01
That is right, they were never as gay as IM

percy toboggan
29-Mar-08, 09:29
Tried it once...Cannabis...to see what the fuss was about...once was enough....I was in my mid-forties at the time.
It's a crutch ...like so many others.
My crutch of choice - moderate alcohol. Flushes through my body in hours and doesn't linger for months. I do not have to mix with the criminal underclass to obtain it and perhaps importantly, it is legal.
Long term Cannabis use is bad news...as is tobacco. I once smoked cigarettes - many years ago- and now look upon 'chokes' of smokers clustered outside work places and buildings as people to be pitied in some small way...happily lining their once beautifully pink lungs with black, sticky gunge and poisoning their blood... Why do it?

All of these habits are about escape...from the mundanity of modern life maybe ...cigs perhaps the least of them...but Cannabis? Well, if you've smoked it so much that you've convinced yerself it's done you no harm then I suppose its long term usage has at least one benefit. It obviously has delusion inducing qualities. Perhaps less controversially I also think that people who casually break any criminal law on a regular basis are not to be trusted in the wider scheme of things....as much as people who don't.

I'll happily settle for three pints of ale or a half bottle of red wine.

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 14:42
I will take an occasional recreational dope smoker over someone addicted to drink any day of the week.

Overall, there is no more harmful thing in our society than alcohol misuse, and every single day it causes misery and pain across the board.

The social acceptance of excessive drinking certainly deludes people into believing what they are doing is normal and 'healthy'; where for many who are so fooled it is actually ruining their lives.

Some of the best smoking sessions I have ever had have been with members of the police and members of the armed forces.

Likewise drinking, but I never had a friend die on me through smoking a wee bit too much.

Also, in around twenty five years, I have never had a pal descend into the kind of mental health problems now being associated with smoking too much. I know of people who have such problems; but I feel they probably had a disposition towards such, and excess of anything would serve as a catalyst.

That is not saying that skunk and such like is not dangerous in excess, just to point out that anything is, and the number of people smoking v number getting problems is huge. Unfortunately the legality issue encourages the use of sensationalism and skewed figures, as thorough research has proved hard to undertake.

Sure students are going to talk about their drug use, that is hip, but 50 year old lawyers and police? Doctors, nurses, bank managers, businessmen?
Anyone with something to lose keeps their mouths tightly shut except amongst friends.

Ricco
29-Mar-08, 15:24
Tried a few of these kicks in my yoof - definitely brain-rot. I'll stick to the C2H5OH, thanks. When the day comes that I want to scramble my brains I'll use a shotgun, ta.:confused

percy toboggan
29-Mar-08, 15:33
I will take an occasional recreational dope smoker over someone addicted to drink any day of the week.

The stuff you enjoy inhaling is not called 'dope' for nothing.

To classify smoking dope as 'recreational' is a lexical attempt to de-stigmatise
societies stance on the drug...just like 'recreational' cocaine users...for 'recreation' substitute 'refuge' in my book....the tolerance extended to drug users...when they should be punished by the courts at every opportunity is one of the reasons Britain is sliding downhill fast. Zero tolerance for all illegal drug users should be the norm with mandatory life sentences for large scale suppliers.

Julia
29-Mar-08, 15:41
I've witnessed a friend of mine become slowly but surely psychologically dependent to cannabis, they now are unable to function normally in society, is unemployable and unable to have or form any kind of relationship whether it be platonic or otherwise!

I'm not a fan in any way shape or form and firmly believe that better information on this so-called soft drug would enlighten many people who think it's ok to smoke dope!

There is increasing evidence of a link between cannabis and mental health problems such as schizophrenia,depression and paranoia

The risk of heart attack more than quadruples in the first hour after smoking cannabis.

Here's a snippit from a website....
'Research has shown that some babies born to women who smoke cannabis during pregnancy display altered responses to visual stimuli, increased tremulousness, and a high-pitched cry, which may indicate neurological problems in development. During the preschool years, marijuana-exposed children have been observed to perform tasks involving sustained attention and memory more poorly than non-exposed children do. In the school years, these children are more likely to exhibit deficits in problem-solving skills, memory, and the ability to remain attentive'.

Smoking one or more joints a day during a year or longer is considered long-term use.

The health risks of this long-term use are:

In some cases high quantity users can experience feelings of anxiety, depression and be seriously unwell.
Cannabis influences driving ability.
Smoking cannabis causes carcinogens to enter the body.
During pregnancy, cannabis can have negative consequences for the fetus.
Long-term use of cannabis may affect thinking, emotions and feelings.
In some cases, long-term use of cannabis can lead to dependence and abuse.
Cannabis can provoke a psychosis in people who are sensitive to it.
Some researchers are of the opinion that:
Cannabis can be a first step to the use of hard drugs.
Cannabis has negative effects on the immune system.
Cannabis influences fertility.
Cannabis causes schizophrenia.
Cannabis leads to apathy and loss of interest.
Cannabis can cause anger, especially when trying to stop using Cananabis.I can go on and on and on about this subject.....

Gleber2
29-Mar-08, 18:16
I find it amazing that people are prepared to believe anything they are told about cannabis by the Experts who make all their judgements from observation. It equally amazes me that the same people will automaticlly reject that which they are told by those who have used the drug over long periods and know what they are talking about from direct experience.
One recorded death , ever, from cannabis with millions of users and number 11 in the recently compiled list of the twenty most commonly used drugs.
Hard drug use in Britain has increased by 1000% since the seventies but Holland has seen no increase in the last twenty years. The figures don't lie.
If you wish to keep cannabis illegal for the reasons trotted out at every opportunity then logic would dictate that you would want alcohol to be made illegal for exactly the same reasons.
Over forty years I have lost many friends to the ravages of alcohol but I have not lost one to the ravages of cannabis and most of my friends have been smokers of the weed.

karia
29-Mar-08, 19:40
I was disappointed by cannabis!:(

All that hype and..it was just like a few glasses of wine..and made my eyes nip.

Don't have a problem with it but don't smoke tobacco anymore so someone would have to bake me an interesting cake...

...mind you, I've a Birthday in the offing!;)

Loch not Lock
29-Mar-08, 20:36
'Month of cannabis terrified me' (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7314812.stm) is the title of an article published on the BBC website on Wednesday. Here is a quote from it:-

"The drug totally wrecked my mind," she said. "There is no way I would want to repeat it again. Nothing made much sense to me any more."

Is one woman's experience typical and exemplary or is it media hype? It scared me and I had nothing to do with it.

Did anyone see the associated documentary, 'Should I Smoke Dope?' on BBC3? Was it objective or merely abject?

Moi x

I recorded it on DVD and found it most informative and entertaining. Brought back memories of 25+ years ago. Even at my age some parts gave me fits of giggles and tears. The presenter did a great job and was quite brave with some of the experiences she endured. I could do a DVD copy for you Moi x.:)

Loch not Lock
29-Mar-08, 20:46
I recorded it on DVD and found it most informative and entertaining. Brought back memories of 25+ years ago. Even at my age some parts gave me fits of giggles and tears. The presenter did a great job and was quite brave with some of the experiences she endured. I could do a DVD copy for you Moi x.:)

Or a video copy.

Rie
29-Mar-08, 20:57
i have tried canibis, my ex swears by it to help with pain caused by a motorcycle accident, and i have a friend who is canabis dependant,
to get to that stage you have to smoke it like a chain smoker!!!
its never done me any harm but then i dont use on a regular basis.
i have seen both sides of this drug , and have seen its heeling properties in many a people, just as bad as alcohol every thing in moderation!!!!!!!!

Rie
29-Mar-08, 21:00
karia, cookies or peanut butter on toast is the best way unless you can get hold of rose hip and colts foot tobaco, great for the none smoker!!!! no nicotine content, used it alot when i lived in london as i am a non smoker so to speak

_Ju_
29-Mar-08, 21:24
I find it amazing that people are prepared to believe anything they are told about cannabis by the Experts who make all their judgements from observation.

Medical advancement results from judgements based on the observation of results.

It equally amazes me that the same people will automaticlly reject that which they are told by those who have used the drug over long periods and know what they are talking about from direct experience.

Those advancements are not based on single observation, but a statistical analisis. There are people that suffer no significant consequence to their use of canabis, and there are others that suffer significant problems already listed previously. I understand and am glad that your aquaintances that have used the drug over prolonged periods have been able to relate to you positive experiences, but how significant are they statistically? As you said in your post: you know several people who have suffered the ravages of alcohol and none the ravages of canabis. Well I don't know anyone that has had a serious detrimental affect to their life from the use of alcohol. That does not mean that alcohol does not provoke serious problems.

One recorded death , ever, from cannabis with millions of users and number 11 in the recently compiled list of the twenty most commonly used drugs.
This one death you speak about is probably the one due to direct toxicity from the use of the drug. However there are many, many canabis relateddeaths: mental issues, suicides, drug related violence resulting in death, accidents, etc, etc. People die because they use canabis, even though the death is not directly and linearly attributable to canabis.

Hard drug use in Britain has increased by 1000% since the seventies but Holland has seen no increase in the last twenty years. The figures don't lie.

Soooo....... Holland allows the use of soft drugs and the policy seems to have had the effect of even driving down the use of hard drugs? But..... Sweden and Finland have not and the hard drug consumption is lower than Holland. The figures don't lie, but you can't just grab figures out of the air and use them to prove a point when you aren't considering the variables used and how the data was collated.

karia
29-Mar-08, 21:50
karia, cookies or peanut butter on toast is the best way unless you can get hold of rose hip and colts foot tobaco, great for the none smoker!!!! no nicotine content, used it alot when i lived in london as i am a non smoker so to speak

I will keep an eye on Delia and Nigella for recipes...

..they are laid back kinda gals!;)[lol]

sweetpea
30-Mar-08, 03:46
[quote=percy toboggan;366171]T

Crutch or pain killer perhaps?

sweetpea
30-Mar-08, 03:49
[quote=percy toboggan;366171] I do not have to mix with the criminal underclass to obtain it and perhaps importantly, it is legal.

Maybe it should be the other way around?

sweetpea
30-Mar-08, 03:53
[quote=_Ju_;366419
This one death you speak about is probably the one due to direct toxicity from the use of the drug. However there are many, many canabis relateddeaths: mental issues, suicides, drug related violence resulting in death, accidents, etc, etc. People die because they use canabis, even though the death is not directly and linearly attributable to canabis.

Yeah but I don't think there are more beacuse of cannabis use rather than alcohol, probably more from the latter. Plus add up all the alcohol induced murders compaired to cannabis induced ones.

percy toboggan
30-Mar-08, 09:26
[quote=percy toboggan;366171] I do not have to mix with the criminal underclass to obtain it and perhaps importantly, it is legal.

Maybe it should be the other way around?

So, you think a bourgeoning underworld operation & black market mired in violence, death and dirty money & which caters for a small proportion of the populace (illegal drug users) should be replaced by an even bigger one that would cater for about 95% of the adult population? Not for the first time, I doubt your wisodm.

In relation to painkillers please,...I need them every day and would not resort to cannabis.

Dope is causing problems, drugs generally are too...we have enough with legal substance abuse when it comes to addictive personalities. If you flirt with the drug, or are a regular user managing to function normally in society then congratulations. Please do not argue though that the whole issie of 'problems' with illegal drugs, and legal ones are not borne of inadequacy.

I would not wish to live in a street full of drug addicts...who need to raise money to support their pathetic habit, and have in essence developed the personality of law-breakers. Would anyone? Tolerance...and 'sensible/justified' usage is the thin end of a very slippery wedge in my opinion.

I guess one answer might be to legalise all and let the inadequates out there have enough access to stupify them permanently or overdose to death, depending on their concoction of choice.

_Ju_
30-Mar-08, 10:47

Yeah but I don't think there are more beacuse of cannabis use rather than alcohol, probably more from the latter. Plus add up all the alcohol induced murders compaired to cannabis induced ones.

As is often said, two wrongs don't make a right. I don't know if alcohol induces murder more than canabis. I don't have the figures. When an airoplane crashes, often the mortality will be 100%. When cars crash, most of the time the mortality will not be 100% of ocupants. That does not mean that driving is safer than flying. Personal experience tells us only what works for ourselves, but since we don't have perspective necessary even what we percieve to be working for ourselves might not be seen the same way by others ( ie: the drinker who thinks he has it under control, but whose family knows different; the pot head who feels his smoking is just a way to relax, but is slowly becoming paranoid).

Loch not Lock
30-Mar-08, 18:42
Wish I knew where to get some, purely for nostalgic and health reasons.;) If your getting on a bit and don't mix in that circles you never come in contact with it.:~(

Loch not Lock
30-Mar-08, 18:50

Surely if you had it with peanut butter on toast it would not have much effect as I understood the THC in cannabis had to reach a certain temperature before it released its magic. That is why it has to be cooked in cakes or similar.

percy toboggan
30-Mar-08, 19:11
Dope on toast...?
...the mind truly boggles..
I'll stick with Flora pro-active..
(even though it's probably more expensive!)

karia
30-Mar-08, 19:32
Dope on toast...?
...the mind truly boggles..
I'll stick with Flora pro-active..
(even though it's probably more expensive!)

I'm on the old Flora Pro Active..advice..avoid the raspberry one!:mad:

I know a lot of people who swear by the pain relieving properties and other muscle relaxing attributes of cannabis that make it useful in the treatment of MS etc....who am I to say that this is a bad thing.

Personally, I haven't used it much at all ..6 times in 20 years perhaps!

But all things evolve and I would never say never.

I don't think it is appropriate for me to comment given my limited experience but anything that could prolong mobility and dampen pain for Neuropathy sufferers should at least be investigated. and if useful ..legalised forthwith!

I have seen the side effects from, and the limitations of, the conventional treatments.

golach
30-Mar-08, 19:40
the pot head who feels his smoking is just a way to relax, but is slowly becoming paranoid).
Ju I like your terminology, I know a few who brag about being " Pot Heads", and IMO, you are correct, they are paranoid

Loch not Lock
31-Mar-08, 08:38
The programme made it clear that it is perfacly legal to buy cannabis seeds but is illegal to grow the plant. Double standards?:confused

mccaugm
31-Mar-08, 09:31
I feel that it should be legalised for medicinal purposes for pain relief.

However for just a general high then I feel it should stay illegal as it is now. People think its a poor mans heroin but its much more powerful than it used to be especially in the "skunk" strength. Just think, if smoking had not existed until now, it would never have been allowed to go on sale and would also be a banned substance.

Loch not Lock
31-Mar-08, 13:32
The cannabis programme on BBC3 left me with the impression that Amsterdam and it's "coffee shop" culture have got things just about right because the individual can choose to take mild or strong varieties. Also they know that the product they are buying is safe whilst in Britain one does not know what one is buying from the gangster dealers.
It is also a fact that more people in Britain use cannabis than in Holland on a proportional basis based on population.
Surely that tells us something!:)
Why should we encourage dodgy importers to make millions from gullible users?:(

Loch not Lock
31-Mar-08, 22:58
You can still watch the programme "Should I Smoke Cannabis" by going to the BBC homepage - go to TV iPlayer - click on BBC3 and you'll see it listed on page two. Just click on it and you'll get the whole programme clear as a bell. A must watch as it is most objective in it's presentation - Showing both the bad effects and the hilarious effects.
It will only stay on website for another day or two so don't miss it!:)

TBH
01-Apr-08, 00:40
Cannabis can stop the flow of dopamine in your brains. Do smokers enjoy their depression and paranoia going so far as to exalt the effects of their chosen drug whilst pretending or actually believing their psychosis doesn't exist?[lol]

rfcgav
02-Apr-08, 19:46
Tried it once...Cannabis...to see what the fuss was about...once was enough....I was in my mid-forties at the time.
My crutch of choice - moderate alcohol. Flushes through my body in hours and doesn't linger for months. I do not have to mix with the criminal underclass to obtain it and perhaps importantly, it is legal.
Long term Cannabis use is bad news...as is tobacco. I once smoked cigarettes - many years ago- and now look upon 'chokes' of smokers clustered outside work places and buildings as people to be pitied in some small way...happily lining their once beautifully pink lungs with black, sticky gunge and poisoning their blood... Why do it?

All of these habits are about escape...from the mundanity of modern life maybe ...cigs perhaps the least of them...but Cannabis? Well, if you've smoked it so much that you've convinced yerself it's done you no harm then I suppose its long term usage has at least one benefit. It obviously has delusion inducing qualities. Perhaps less controversially I also think that people who casually break any criminal law on a regular basis are not to be trusted in the wider scheme of things....as much as people who don't.

I'll happily settle for three pints of ale or a half bottle of red wine.

Never smoked fags masel but am sure smokers dana want your pity
You sound like your above them in your own mind somewhere.

And what gives right to call cannabis smokers comments delusional because you dont agree with what they do??
Because alcohol is taxed that makes it ok and socially acceptable its
just another form of escapism like cannabis and tobacco for gods sake!

You do know that alcohol has long term harms to the body too dont you?? :confused

hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver
gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining) or pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
high blood pressure (which can lead to stroke)
certain types of cancer, including mouth and throat
damage to the brain
heart failure
neurological problems such as epilepsy
certain types of vitamin deficiency Excessive drinking has also been linked to:

obesity
sexual problems
infertility
muscle disease
skin problemsMaybe cannabis not so bad after all?