PDA

View Full Version : Banking Fraud

Katy
28-Mar-08, 21:09
We hear so much about people being affected by fraud, I myself have just had a phone call regarding someone trying to get money out of our account! I can't believe it! I never thought it would happen to me, but I thought wrong! I only checked our account online this morning and there was no strange goings on.....just wanted to give everyone a word of warning to keep a very close eye on their accounts, there seems to have been quite a few people locally being affected by this lately.
What is going on?! Everything I use online is secure or paypal so don't know where I have gone wrong, maybe a good idea to avoid buying online now!!
Keep your eyes pealed guys
Katy x

Buttercup
28-Mar-08, 21:13
We hear so much about people being affected by fraud, I myself have just had a phone call regarding someone trying to get money out of our account! I can't believe it! I never thought it would happen to me, but I thought wrong! I only checked our account online this morning and there was no strange goings on.....just wanted to give everyone a word of warning to keep a very close eye on their accounts, there seems to have been quite a few people locally being affected by this lately.
What is going on?! Everything I use online is secure or paypal so don't know where I have gone wrong, maybe a good idea to avoid buying online now!!
Keep your eyes pealed guys
Katy x

Hope it wasn't someone trying to get your details that phoned you? I know there's been a lot of warnings about that.

golach
28-Mar-08, 21:15
Hope it wasn't someone trying to get your details that phoned you? I know there's been a lot of warnings about that.
That was my first reaction also!

Katy
28-Mar-08, 21:16
No it did cross my mind as well and phoned the bank back but it was genuine! They didn't ask any bank details or anything when they phoned, just to confirm a few security questions unrelated to our account number etc which did make me think it was the bank.
Puts a horrible feeling through you thinking that someone could go away with your money so easily!
Katy x

northener
28-Mar-08, 21:32
No it did cross my mind as well and phoned the bank back but it was genuine! They didn't ask any bank details or anything when they phoned, just to confirm a few security questions unrelated to our account number etc which did make me think it was the bank.
Puts a horrible feeling through you thinking that someone could go away with your money so easily!
Katy x

Hang on Katy, are you saying they asked you to confirm some security questions? When you phoned back, was it a number you already knew or one the unsolicited caller supplied?

Katy
28-Mar-08, 21:49
No I phoned back the number on the back of our bank card rather than the number they gave! Far too wary to give any details over the phone etc. Only questions they asked was our normal bank security questions as in any direct debits that may come off etc, nothing personal or any account numbers etc!
Katy x

northener
28-Mar-08, 22:05
Ok, good result!

Fluff
29-Mar-08, 10:57
Katy I know how you feel. Last year my bank called me as there was a 50p online music sales coming out of my account. I don't buy music online.
They cancelled my card and issued another one (very quickly)
It has made me very wary, and much more careful, although I always thought I was!

binbob
29-Mar-08, 11:48
this week i have had money stolen from one of my accts.
it was taken by
T MOBILE,02 PREPAY,NATIONAL EXPRESS AND STAGECOACH...obviously not the real companies .in all £63.50 has been taken over 4 days.
it was with hbos...and their fraud dept. are now investigating.i will get the money back,eventually...card is now cancelled .it was from an account where i do not use the debit card very much..but hey ho..their are a lot of smart crooks out there.
very worrying..so please all keep checking those accts.

Katy
29-Mar-08, 12:21
Ours too was for online music downloading & we are the same don't download any music.
Ours is also the HBOS, have heard quite a few people having trouble with that bank as well as others too.
I can't praise them enough for catching it in time though! Think they only managed to get £2.50 from our account and the fraud team are looking into it as well!
Got some great advise about turning my firewall up which I have done, didn't realise even thought it was turned on you could get different levels of cover!!
Katy x

carasmam
29-Mar-08, 12:32
this week i have had money stolen from one of my accts.
it was taken by
T MOBILE,02 PREPAY,NATIONAL EXPRESS AND STAGECOACH...obviously not the real companies .in all £63.50 has been taken over 4 days.
it was with hbos...and their fraud dept. are now investigating.i will get the money back,eventually...card is now cancelled .it was from an account where i do not use the debit card very much..but hey ho..their are a lot of smart crooks out there.
very worrying..so please all keep checking those accts.

We had money taken from an RBS account using TMobile and Stagecoach as well, I am pretty sure it was around £63 too. The Stagecoach amounts were small, around the £2.50 mark but the T Mobile was big.
Our bank never phoned us, we noticed it ourselves, so lucky every penny is a prisoner and we check our statements :Razz

binbob
29-Mar-08, 13:56
yes ..i had one for £1.50 ,another for£2.50 then the other 2 were both for £30.
i hope u all get ur money back.
nothing is sacred these days....keep checking ur bank statements..

Scunner
03-Apr-08, 12:05
Just been told that 5 pounds has been charged to my credit card, on Monday. Bank has been so very good, and spotted the transaction immediately. Only down side, is that I have no credit card for more than a week. Well done the bank. No charge to me - but be warned.

cd1977
03-Apr-08, 12:23
Quote "Everything I use online is secure or paypal so don't know where I have gone wrong, maybe a good idea to avoid buying online now!!"

Everything you use or post online can and will be viewed by others. Therefore none of it can ever be "secure".

The bank will always refund the money.

This comes down to a battle between the banks and the fraudsters. It's kinda hard to work out who the bigger crooks are. Certainly I feel no sympathy for the banks as they are sharks engaged in many a sharp practice themselves.

What goes around comes around.

Buttercup
03-Apr-08, 15:04
I've never had this happen (there but for the grace..........), but my brother did. The bank contacted him as 2 small (under £2) amounts had been donated to charities online using his card. The card was a "spare" that he only ever used in emergencies. The only time he had used it within a year was in 3 well known shops in Aberdeen and it had never been used online. The bank told him that this was what usually happens ie the card is tested by the crooks by one or two small amounts taken before a large sum. At least his story had a happy ending as the bank refunded the money.

Bakerbhoy
03-Apr-08, 15:44
It happened to me last year, I had a large sum of money taken from my account. I was checking the account for hubbys expenses going in and instead there was a huge withdrawal. It seemed to come from either internet banking o telephone banking as it had EB as the code. Because I reported it quickly it stopped hitting the fraudlent account but it still took the bank a month to refund my money and their only security advice was to keep coming in and checking my account on a daily basis. Also they refused to cancel my cards and issue new one. It also happened to my dad who was with the same bank as me but someone had cloned his card. It took the bank a month to think something was wrong, the fact that the card was being used in inverness, invergordon and abroad all at the same time didn't give the game away at all!!!! We have both cancelled our telephone and internet banking plain old hole in the wall from now on!!

Kevin Milkins
03-Apr-08, 22:38
I dont know if they were up front or not, but we had a young couple going door to about a week ago and perportated to be from somthing like help the aged. My wife spoke to them and I was upstairs sending some emails but could hear the lads very good sales pitch.For just 50p a week we can do BLA BLA BLA.My wife said thats a great idea ,what do you want me to do . He said" we dont take cash from poeple ,but we set up a direct dedit for £2-00 a month and do you have a flat surface that I can write on, and wife let them in to the kitchen.He then asked for bank details and sort code etc at which point I was about to stop what I as doing and wife said sorry I dont know about our bank details you had better come back when my husband is home so I could hardly come down the stairs. He told my wife that the police knew they were working the area but she said no and they left.I phoned the police and and they had no knowlledge of them and would check it out.
I have heared no more since and wife insisted they were proper job with ID etc.With the details they may have gleaned out of my wife they could have stole all of my £13-73 in my account. :lol:has anybody else signed up?

poppett
04-Apr-08, 11:46
Had similar in Thurso last year, but sent them packing. Did offer if they left the paperwork I would decide if I was willing to donate and deal with their head office, but they were insistand they needed the details so no deal.

katarina
04-Apr-08, 18:07
I had an email from TSB telling me that there was a discrepancy with my account and would i re-submit my details and gave me a link. The email also gave me a phone number to ring to verify authenticity. fortunately i do not have an account with the TSB. When I went on to their genuine site, both the email address and number was correct. I reported it and was told that it was a scam. Everything seemed so in order that anyone with a TSB account might be taken in. So beware!

KCI
04-Apr-08, 18:12
I remember a while ago, someone had managed to get hold of my credit card details, and ordered a new computer worth over £1000!
I only found out when I received my statement. I panicked, thinking I would have to pay the whole amount, but luckily the fraud team investigated it.
It just goes to show, you have to keep an eye on your accounts, statements etc, no matter how safe and secure you think you are when using your credit card! :eek: