PDA

View Full Version : Inverness to Kylesku

Munro
28-Mar-08, 12:36
We are visiting in May and stopping the first night in Inverness, I am hoping to drive the next day to Kylesku but also to drive to Applecross first, it looks a bit of a hike on the map so I thought I would ask all you Orgers what you think.
I was going via A9, A835, A832 and A890 and then back to A835 and on to Kylesku.

cuddlepop
28-Mar-08, 12:47
We are visiting in May and stopping the first night in Inverness, I am hoping to drive the next day to Kylesku but also to drive to Applecross first, it looks a bit of a hike on the map so I thought I would ask all you Orgers what you think.
I was going via A9, A835, A832 and A890 and then back to A835 and on to Kylesku.

I think once you see Applecross you'll want to spend more than one night there.Kylesku via Applecross is one heck of a drive in one day.:eek:

emszxr
28-Mar-08, 12:57
i would go from inverness north to tore round about, take a835 to to garve, then the a832 to achnasheen then a890 to lochcarron then a896 that takes you to the applecraoss road which is an unclassified road. i would do the costal road to sheildaig from applecross, its a lovely road. then join the a896 again to kinlochewe. then the a832 round gairloch and poolewe to braemore junction, then a835 to ullapool and upto ledmore junction. then a837 to skiag bridge, i would if you have time go to lochinver and take the coastal road round drumbeg. some beautiful scenery up there and clashnessie beach is a must. then onto a894 to kylesku.

it is possible to do it in a day but i would highly recommend a stop somewhere overnight so you can appreciate the scenry more.
i used to drive these roads all the time delivering and its a wonderful part of scotland

emszxr
28-Mar-08, 13:01
i would definately take 2 days to do this, i was just working out in my head and you would be a good 8-10 hours if not more driving as applecross over the mountain and along the coastal road is an hour and half in itself.
i would look for somewhere to stay between applecross and kinlochewe if it was me doing it.

northener
28-Mar-08, 14:11
I'd agree with breaking the journey over 2 days. It's certainly not too difficult to do it in one day, but you really will be missing out.

I'd plumb for an overnight in Lochcarron (a few b+b's) or Applecross - if you book early enough. If you are camping, then there's a site in both places. Regardless of where you stop book it early!!!

I'd try for the Appplecross Inn if possible. A lovely pub with a tremendous reputation for it's food and beer. Put it this way, we originally booked in for one night and stayed the week - even though we had to move down to a B+B down the road as the pub was booked for the rest of the week. We managed to eat everything on their very extensive menu over the next few days. I was quite proud of that!!!:D

#Tip# If you do want an evening meal there, book early (5-6ish) and you'll get to blag the comfy chairs. Any later and you'll end up on the uncomfy chairs.

Oh, and make sure you go to Applecross over the pass.

Munro
28-Mar-08, 19:15
Thankyou all for your input, we are booked in at the Newton lodge at Kylesku
on our second night, so we will go straight from Inverness and save Applecross for another trip next year. We were planning on seeing Lochinver and the coast road to Drumbeg. From Kylesku we have two days yet to fill, we have done the north coast so thought we would head for the hinterland before spending our last two days at the Portland in Lybster.
Thanks again for the advice

Munro.