PDA

View Full Version : Billy Connolly

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-08, 08:33
Did anyone see the Billy Connelly world tour of Scotland last night? It was on late and I guess it was an old repeat. It showed him doing a gig in Wick before going on to Oakney and then to Shetland.I would guess such a big name in Wick would have got a big showing from the locals.

Thumper
28-Mar-08, 08:46
I was at a gig he did in Wick, it was brilliant!He has an amazing stage presence x

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-08, 08:52
I was at a gig he did in Wick, it was brilliant!He has an amazing stage presence x

How long ago was it thumper?
Looking at the Range Rover he was driving I thought over ten years ago

cemmts
28-Mar-08, 09:18
It was 1994 i missed it as I was working :(

Thumper
28-Mar-08, 09:46
The time I went was in 92 or 93 I think.....he was up again after that and the only reason i remember is because I was in Wick seeing my solicitor for my divorce and that was 94 and he waved and tooted his horn at me.....made my day :) x

wifie
28-Mar-08, 10:12
Saw the great BC in Inverness - some time before that - don't think I have ever laughed so much. What a talent! Read the books about him by Pamela Stephenson (his wife) they are fantastic.

The Angel Of Death
28-Mar-08, 10:26
Used to love billy but recently i feel his stand up shows are not as good or as funny as they used to be i remember splitting my sides watching him but now its just a chuckle and no more think he has become to americanised

At the mo i find jim davidson alan carr and lee evans hillarious last dvd (jim davidson) i got my sides and eyes were sore we laughing and the tears streeming down my face

Valerie Campbell
28-Mar-08, 12:31
He has such a great take on things. I don't think he could get over the Caithness wind though. I can't remember if it was shown or not, but he was at Whaligoe and asked one of the locals where he could get something to eat. The man disappeared and came back with a packet of biscuits. Well, Billy didn't say he was looking for a restaurant and I thought it was very nice of that man to give him the biccies.

honey
28-Mar-08, 12:36
I went off Billy Connelly, then went to a show down here just over a year ago (i think) and he was hilarious!!

Angel of death - agree with Jim Davidson, went to see his last show too, and although some of it was repeated from before, he was still hilarious.

I went to see Frankie Boyle two weeks ago, and laughed so hard my tummy hurt, the guy that was on before him was brilliant as well (cant remember his name tho)

Id love to see Ed Byrne and Jason Byrne live.... they were both on in glasgow recently too and i mised them!

Flair
28-Mar-08, 12:42
Uh... not like it really matters or anything but it's Connolly.

The Pepsi Challenge
28-Mar-08, 12:55
He was once the greatest. But now he's gone the same way as Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy: no longer funny.

scotsboy
28-Mar-08, 13:27
He was once the greatest. But now he's gone the same way as Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy: no longer funny.

Agree, the source of his comedy was characters and events he experienced in his working class life - now that he no longer interacts with the proletariat he does not have the material to work with...........he now relies on swearing to get laughs.............he has lost it big style.

The Angel Of Death
28-Mar-08, 13:37
Used to love the fact when he was telling stories and would drift off into another one but then a week later come back and finish the first one but as said above he aint interacting with the punters much anymore so the stories are drying up

Boozeburglar
28-Mar-08, 13:49
He may not have the edge he once had, but he is still funny at times.

Same goes for Steve Martin, he can still turn it on at will when he wants to, just prefers not to be 'on'.

I find this much preferable to Robin Williams, for example, who is always 'on', but rarely funny. How tiring that gets.

Wonder if Eddie Murphy plays the banjo...

:)

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-08, 14:31
The time I went was in 92 or 93 I think.....he was up again after that and the only reason i remember is because I was in Wick seeing my solicitor for my divorce and that was 94 and he waved and tooted his horn at me.....made my day :) x

Why did he do that? Was you startled in his headlights

Thumper
28-Mar-08, 16:23
Why did he do that? Was you startled in his headlights

I guess he must of thought I was a bunnygirl worth tooting at ;):lol: Honestly I have no idea why he did it but it fair cheered me up x

Tighsonas4
28-Mar-08, 20:46
I guess he must of thought I was a bunnygirl worth tooting at ;):lol: Honestly I have no idea why he did it but it fair cheered me up x
they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder does that explain it for you kid tony

karia
28-Mar-08, 20:51
Agree, the source of his comedy was characters and events he experienced in his working class life - now that he no longer interacts with the proletariat he does not have the material to work with...........he now relies on swearing to get laughs.............he has lost it big style.

Totally agree!

I used to be stretchered out o the room if BC was on...now I need to be stretchered in!:lol:

telfordstar
28-Mar-08, 21:51
I watched it last night and oh my heavens was some of it funny.

obiron
28-Mar-08, 22:03
he was funny about 20 years ago. pretty rubbish now.

Lumberjack
28-Mar-08, 22:18
When Billy appeared in Wick, he was staying at the (now Norseman) hotel.
My father was the night porter, and when Billy appeared after the show my father, naturally, asked him " How are you this evening mister Connolly" to which he replied, " I am F*%$£*g Knackered. Just what you would expect from Billy. But that is nothing compared to when the Krankies came to stay.
The little one - Janette Tough I think - let loose the most foul language my father had ever heard from a woman. As he said " It's moments like that that make the job more enjoyable".

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-08, 22:42
If anybody wants a recording I taped it.

TBH
28-Mar-08, 22:47
Billy Connelly the working mans comic is now nothing more than a sell-out and I dont mean one of his venues.:roll:

NLP
28-Mar-08, 23:13
When he was in Wick he stopped and asked the way to the Assembly rooms, me being me I sent him the wrong way. I'm rubbish at giving out directions so if he was late that night, sorry folks. now you all know if you want directions DON'T ask me.

TBH
28-Mar-08, 23:15
When he was in Wick he stopped and asked the way to the Assembly rooms, me being me I sent him the wrong way. I'm rubbish at giving out directions so if he was late that night, sorry folks. now you all know if you want directions DON'T ask me.When he asked that you should have said, "practice son, practice".

Cedric Farthsbottom III
29-Mar-08, 00:03
I like Billy,he learnt me ma first jobby jokes.The man's a legend.I like the way he takes an everyday subject and turns it into a joke.He still makes me laugh,fair enough he's maturing in his years and taking it more easier,who disnae.He still told the joke on Parkinson wi the bum stickin oot fae the ground,still makes me LOL:lol::lol:

robynaus
29-Mar-08, 00:16
luv the man he did a world tour oa australia very funny regards robyn

TBH
29-Mar-08, 00:20
luv the man he did a world tour oa australia very funny regards robynPerhaps you would like to keep him.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
29-Mar-08, 00:44
TBH how is Billy Connelly a working man's comic?As Ali G wid say"Is it cos aye is a welder"

ywindythesecond
29-Mar-08, 01:09
I first heard about Billy Connelly in Glasgow in the late 1960s when someone told me about this man who told jokes and wore banana boots. I just didn't believe it.
But it was true.
Great for most of the time. Bad for a lot of the time, relying on swearing. But I think he is maturing and there is lots to come.

http://www.stravaiging.com/culture/music/bands/band.php?id=15

Cedric Farthsbottom III
29-Mar-08, 01:14
I first heard about Billy Connelly in Glasgow in the late 1960s when someone told me about this man who told jokes and wore banana boots. I just didn't believe it.
But it was true.
Great for most of the time. Bad for a lot of the time, relying on swearing. But I think he is maturing and there is lots to come.

See I think its the opposite.Billy's swearing isnae a part of the act.Thats just the way it was wi him.I agree there's a lot more to come,but I think it will be through acting not comedy.

ywindythesecond
29-Mar-08, 01:44
See I think its the opposite.Billy's swearing isnae a part of the act.Thats just the way it was wi him.I agree there's a lot more to come,but I think it will be through acting not comedy.
Did you ever see the TV play "The stick thrower"? Connelly acted in it and he was a brilliant actor.
Tried

Cedric Farthsbottom III
29-Mar-08, 01:59
Did you ever see the TV play "The stick thrower"? Connelly acted in it and he was a brilliant actor.
Tried

I've not seen it.But I'll give it a go.For me he'll always be Judy Dench's other half.He was immense.Love chemistry between a stage dame and a Glasgow welder.Fantastic.:D

Aaldtimer
29-Mar-08, 04:09
But it was true.

I think you're a wee bit early with your recollections, the banana boots didn't appear before about the mid 70's! They are now in a museum in Glasgow, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
As far as the notion that Billy has lost contact with the punters...Billy's great pal and informant for jokes and stories, Danny Kyle died some years ago, I think that's when his humour lost a lot of the "local" touch.
He's still boody funny tough!

Lolabelle
29-Mar-08, 05:33
Perhaps you would like to keep him.

I bet most Australians would love to keep them, Pamela is from NZ, I think, but also has strong ties with Australia. So they could easily fit right in. I don't care if he is getting old, I love his take on life and the funny way he describes the most mundane situations. I know some don't like all the swearing, but with his accent, it just doesn't sound like swearing to me. Oh and I saw the Tour of Scotland show, and the wind was blowing him away, it looked to me like he was out the front of Ackergill Castle, am I right???

percy toboggan
29-Mar-08, 08:39
I recently bought the 'Was it Something I said' dvd. The first hour or so was funny...and refreshingly non p.c. lots of knocks and digs for all religion.
I did once think he was the funniest man on the planet. He still makes me laugh...as much his mannerisms sometimes and his face pulling...of course the language is bad but in context given his accent and his background. I still rate Billy (I'm sure he's relieved) but like anything there is only so long one can spend at the top of the tree. Though I'd still watch Connolly ahead of anyone else.

Perhaps 'Two Night Stand' from the mid-nineties was his finest hour...'Toboggan' man and the Lions of course. Classic comedy on a par with the very finest from any era.

Mik.M.
29-Mar-08, 10:57
Watched all of the Tours,Scotland,Britain,Austrailia. Very funny and interesting. Got several video`s,made the mother in law watch one (she`s a church going pessimist who finds everything offensive or rude). We thought her reaction was great, tutting then pretending to go to sleep whilst we were laughing our heads off!

golach
27-Sep-08, 19:39
Just noticed that Billy Connolly's World Tour of Scotland is being repeated on Dave channel Sky 111 and Virgin 126.From 2100, the Wick visit is timed for 2230

teenybash
27-Sep-08, 23:33
Been watching Billy Connely on Freeview and was disappointed with the Wick coverage being so scant............Still think he's good though...even today when he gets revved up a bit.:Razz

EDDIE
28-Sep-08, 11:36
Did anyone see the Billy Connelly world tour of Scotland last night? It was on late and I guess it was an old repeat. It showed him doing a gig in Wick before going on to Oakney and then to Shetland.I would guess such a big name in Wick would have got a big showing from the locals.

It was done years ago but im prity sure the whole tour of scotland which billy done is on dvd to buy if u are a fan of billy connelly

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/184397/Billy-Connolly-World-Tour-Of-Scotland/Product.html