PDA

View Full Version : Euthanasia

Anne x
28-Mar-08, 00:41
With the coverage today on Television and Press of one of the Msp 's today wanting the right to end her life in dignity when the time comes due to suffering from Parkinsons
what is your opinion ?

Whitewater
28-Mar-08, 01:01
There was a good thread on this about two years ago. Many great comments made, both for and against.

Every case has its own merits, my own father died about 35 years ago from motor neuron disease, and I'm sure that if he had the choice he would have gone for it.

However, I won't go into all the details again, but I can understand why people want it as well as why people think life is precious (which it is) and should be preserved at all costs. It is easy to go for life, but I can only say that if such a choice should come into your life, and you see what was once a fit and intelligent person become a vegitable you will know what should have been done. Should I ever become unfortunate enough to suffer from it, I know what I will go for.

Anne x
28-Mar-08, 01:14
I feel the Same having watched loved ones suffer from Strokes and Senile Dementia and listened to the tales of my Family involved in the caring of them as Individuals and the ongoing caring that went on within the private lives of people and families and lastly the ultimate costs involved in Private Care Having said that I still dont know where I actually stand on the subject for or against

Kevin Milkins
28-Mar-08, 08:44
I had to make the most diffucult decision of my life last year when my boxer dog had a brain tumor. Seeing him in distress and go down hill very quickly broke myself and my wifes heart. If I had a close relative in the same situation and was not able to make the call for them,it would be unbearable.

Thumper
28-Mar-08, 08:49
Parkinsons is a horrible disease,my Dad suffered from it for a few years,it was heartbreaking to watch and if he could have legally taken his own life I am almost sure he would have!he eventually died of cancer,which I am sad to say was a blessing as it ended his suffering.....I am all for euthanasia and if I was in that circumstance I would want to end my life with some dignity x

Poultney lad
28-Mar-08, 18:02
Agree 100% thumper , my mum had dementia and watching her go down hill was heartbreaking i am for euthanasia

northener
28-Mar-08, 19:59
Euthanasia has got to be better than having to commit suicide and causing distress and suffering to your family and the poor sods who have to find you and sort it all out.

I always say that if it came down to it, I'd have to go out on my boat and 'disappear' if I couldn't die with dignity. The problem with that is there cannot be any warnings or goodbyes to your loved ones without implicating them or causing huge distress.

And you'd have other people put their lives at risk trying to find you.

Euthanasia should be legal.

karia
28-Mar-08, 20:15
[quote=northener;365952I always say that if it came down to it, I'd have to go out on my boat and 'disappear' if I couldn't die with dignity.
.[/quote]

Totally agree with everyone in support of Euthanasia and part of the problem is that few of us will be able to perform it 'unassisted' if we live to the ultimate edge of what we find bearable...

..so if northener can't make it to his boat and someone helps him out of love they shouldn't have to face a prison sentence for that anymore than northener should have to go on living an existence he finds unbearable.

PS Sorry N...wishing you a long and healthy life.;)

golach
28-Mar-08, 20:27
The jury on the rights or wrongs of Euthanasia is still out and discussing the issue in this household.
But I would like to salute Margo MacDonald, for the guts and dignity for standing up on the floor at Holyrood, and pour out her plea, she is a person I have long admired, it is a pity more of our MSP's do not have her courage and bravery.

northener
28-Mar-08, 20:28
..so if northener can't make it to his boat and someone helps him out of love they shouldn't have to face a prison sentence for that anymore than northener should have to go on living an existence he finds unbearable.

PS Sorry N...wishing you a long and healthy life.;)

It's no good trying to weasel out of it Karia, you're inciting the public to do me in![para]

Seriously though, you've got it right.

gillsib
28-Mar-08, 20:30
I believe that if someone has the wish to die due to an irreversible medical condition that they should be able to have their wishes to die respected. In putting their wish in writing through some sort of formal process should be the way ahead but it would be just the start. The process must be as water-tight as possible so that there are no repercussions and that is probably where the problem lies, not for the person that wishes to die but for the person who has to end the persons life. I for one would rather go peacefully and with dignity having watched my father suffer.

oldchemist
28-Mar-08, 20:34
I agree with Margo MacDonald's view on this. I would certainly like to have the option if things got bad enough but as someone has rightly pointed out, it would probably require the involvement of others who would then have to live with what they had done.

Loch not Lock
28-Mar-08, 20:57
If I ever become a burden to my loved ones I would definately like to be legally put down. If it does not become legal I would do it myself.

karia
28-Mar-08, 21:11
If I ever become a burden to my loved ones I would definately like to be legally put down. If it does not become legal I would do it myself.

The thing is that surely we should encourage people to live as long as they can bear with the knowledge that that amount of pain and suffering will be as much as they are expected to take.

If someone with an incurable illness and great suffering wishes to push their endurance to the limits and then say 'no more' ...it may well be too late for them to do something to end that of their own volition and involving help from others leaves those people open to criminal proceedings.

If you extrapolate from that then sufferers may have to choose to end their lives at an earlier point than they would wish so as not to have to involve other people and risk their freedom.

sweetpea
28-Mar-08, 23:34
It doesn't happen so much these days but a few year back Doc's would up the dose of morphine or whatever to speed up death. mostly they would talk to the family and come to an agreement when the end was nigh to give them a fatal dose, to me it's the same thing as euthinasia. But I do think it should be written down like a will before illness takes hold.

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 00:01
It doesn't happen so much these days but a few year back Doc's would up the dose of morphine or whatever to speed up death. mostly they would talk to the family and come to an agreement when the end was nigh to give them a fatal dose, to me it's the same thing as euthinasia. But I do think it should be written down like a will before illness takes hold.

I didn't think this happened any less than before, how come the change?

Admittedly I haven't been in that area of work for the last ten years, but personal experience would suggest it is still the accepted face of assisted death on the NHS.

The only thing I have a problem with is the idea of giving these decisions to nursing staff.

:)

Fran
29-Mar-08, 00:23

I totally agre with you , but...this all should be discussed with the family first and sometimes it isnt. this can cause a lot of heartache for those left behind after.

Venture
29-Mar-08, 02:26
When you place an elderly relative in care you are now asked the question if anything happens to them do you want them resuscitated. How difficult is that to answer?

Compare a relative who is well in themselves and only suffering from dementia with one who has a terminal illness and in constant pain. The latter I would more than likely say do not resuscitate. But what do you answer to the other example. Say for instance that person has a heart attack. Some people recover well from this, some are left with major problems. How do you know what the outcome will be? How do you choose in a situation like that?

Mik.M.
29-Mar-08, 09:51
Having watched both my parents die slow painfull deaths through cancer I fully understand why some people wish to end it all. There should be a legal way to do it. We wouldn`t let an animal suffer so why should humans. If the subject is fully discussed and understood by all involved then why not?

poppett
29-Mar-08, 14:10
10 years ago my brother in law died of incurable bone cancer with secondary lung cancer. He was given morphine tablets for three days with the dose doubling each day and a bottle of "Oramorph" with the instructions that when he felt he could take no more, drink the entire contents of the bottle, but to make sure only his fingerprints were on the bottle and cap! If that is not legalised euthanasia I don`t know what is.

cuddlepop
29-Mar-08, 14:14
10 years ago my brother in law died of incurable bone cancer with secondary lung cancer. He was given morphine tablets for three days with the dose doubling each day and a bottle of "Oramorph" with the instructions that when he felt he could take no more, drink the entire contents of the bottle, but to make sure only his fingerprints were on the bottle and cap! If that is not legalised euthanasia I don`t know what is.

That to me is a "human" doctor.Hopefully I'll never have to be in that position but if I was I'd prefer to go quickly.
Mum alwas said if she went dolally to dispatch her on the hills.