PDA

View Full Version : Someone to fix a slow laptop?

Fantoosh
28-Mar-08, 00:06
Hey everyone, Ive not had my laptop for very long and its really slow. Does anyone know of somewhere or someone I can take it to to get it sorted? I am going to take all my photos and what not off, so hopefully that might help, but to be honest i dont really know anything about computers. Would it cost a lot to get someone else to sort it completely?

Cheers everyone

blowfish
28-Mar-08, 00:18
Hey everyone, Ive not had my laptop for very long and its really slow. Does anyone know of somewhere or someone I can take it to to get it sorted? I am going to take all my photos and what not off, so hopefully that might help, but to be honest i dont really know anything about computers. Would it cost a lot to get someone else to sort it completely?

Cheers everyone

get a sledgehammer and get shot, you probably need a bigger an faster laptop. try the following online companies online

alienware or cyberpowersystems. both can supply cracking laptops, better than the bog standard shop ones and dell.:Razz

dandod
28-Mar-08, 00:20
if you laptop is newish it wont be the lap top could be your connection speed check it out at www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) or could be programmes that are that on it slowing it down try opening windows defender to see if anything starts up withuot permission also run the disc defrag and run anti virus and anti malware you can down load these free from www.download.com (http://www.download.com)

comodo firewall pro is the best free firewall also has anti malware included....

blowfish
28-Mar-08, 00:27
If it is a new laptop and on the bottom end scale of performance such things as having Norton security suite can slow the whole computer down due to it taking up a large chunck of your memory.

If you have got this sort of thing running, id advise you to get rid off computer and download AVG FREE of the internet. it is free and protects your computer brilliantly without taking up much memory.

do you know what processor is on your computer and the spec of your machine.

there is also the possibility of a virus!

Tristan
28-Mar-08, 00:29
There are lots of good sites to help clean up XP or Vista. If you have been adding and removing a lot of programs that can causes a lot of problems.
Before you get carried away open up my computer
Right click on your hard drive
run disk cleanup

Then
Select tools
Run defrag
repeat
repeat again
repeat one last time for luck
That should help
Get spypot to check for malware etc

Run the above every week

You should try and keep at least 20% of your hardisk free for optimum performance

There are other things you can do but that shoud be a good start.

blowfish
28-Mar-08, 00:34
other good free programmes for firewall, cleaning computer are

ADAWARE
ZONE ALARM
AVG
CRAP CLEANER

blueivy
28-Mar-08, 01:47

Cheers everyone

Hi Fantoosh,

The first thing you need to do is determine when a machine is slow is when is it slow? Is it all the time? Is it just when you are browsing the internet? Is it just internet pages being slow to come up? Is it applications that are slow to start?

Second thing you need to determine is what protection your machine has - does it have antivirus (what is it)? Does it have antispyware (again what is it) and does it have a firewall (yet again what is it)?

You don't need to get rid of it or buy a new one. You just need to find out why it's slow and fix it.

There are a few businesses in Caithness who will clean it for you. I run one. Bobinovich runs another. There are also others. I'd suggest you look at the laptop yourself, at least initially and decide from there what's best to do. You may find it's something straightforward to fix.

Moonboots
28-Mar-08, 10:13
Like what Blue Ivy suggests. This would be the best way around it.
One more thing you could also try if its the physical laptop thats slow.
Since you have removed all your personal items would be to do a clean fresh install of Windows.

blueivy
28-Mar-08, 12:16
Since you have removed all your personal items would be to do a clean fresh install of Windows.

I agree though that this will fix 99% of sluggishness problems that are caused by software. It can also be the quickest way to solve them!

However if you don't have a Recovery CD, just a Windows CD, then I'd leave it to somebody who knows how to do it (as she says that she's not good with computers).