PDA

View Full Version : Sky

starry
27-Mar-08, 20:26
I am not getting signal to the dish because of trees at the back of the house.
The trees are on land owned by someone else and I am not sure they will give permission for me to have them trimmed back.

The tv signal in this area is really bad and without the sky working I am only getting a decent picture on BBC1 and Channel 4 :~(

Has anyone got any bright ideas that might help ?

STUDMUFFIN
27-Mar-08, 20:30
If They Are Overhanging Your Property You Are Allowed To Trim Them Back To The Boundary And Hand The Cuttings To Your Neighbour

starry
27-Mar-08, 20:36
If They Are Overhanging Your Property You Are Allowed To Trim Them Back To The Boundary And Hand The Cuttings To Your Neighbour

they aren't over hanging :~(

Sapphire2803
27-Mar-08, 21:36
Is there anywhere you could move the dish to, so that it has a clear view of the sky?

starry
27-Mar-08, 22:18
It is right on the top of a chimney just now, I was thinking it could maybe attach to a pole but I think it would get blown down without shelter of the chimney.

I am going to ask the owner of the land tomorrow if I can trim the trees down.

TBH
28-Mar-08, 01:56
I take it the trees are very close to the dish otherwise I can't see a problem getting a signal?

Loch not Lock
28-Mar-08, 09:10
I had a similar problem 2 years ago when I tried to get Sky installed and their engineer said it was impossible to get a signal due to the high building 30 metres east of my house. I needed Sky for my work so I contacted Colin Chessor. His installer was very good and resolved the problem by fitting a dual LNB to my neighbours dish and running a cable along to my house behind the guttering. It works a treat. Obviously this was only possible because we have very good neighbours who we get on well with.
If this is not possible in your situation and they won't cut the tree back contact the council as I think it similar in law as to light being taken away from you.
As a last resort, when there there is nobody about, dig a hole at the root of the tree and pour a gallon of deisel into it. Make sure you fill in the hole neatly and in a few weeks the branches will die back. Be careful not to get seen. I would like to make clear I am not recommending this action merely making an arboreal fact.
Good luck.;)
PS - a dual LNB does not affect what programmes you or your neighbour are watching.

Moonboots
28-Mar-08, 10:08
That would be the best solution to your problem as what Loch has suggested.. Not the diesel one tho..lol

The Angel Of Death
28-Mar-08, 10:33
Copper nails worka treat as well aparently

Again not recommending etc

Loch not Lock
28-Mar-08, 11:20
I have used the copper nail remedy on a tree stump in my own garden and it does work but is painfully slow. It took 4/5 years to die off. A bit too long to wait for Sky perhaps?:eek:

The Angel Of Death
28-Mar-08, 11:44
Did you use just the one or did you go all nail gun on the tree and put in loads of the nails ???

Loch not Lock
28-Mar-08, 11:51
Did you use just the one or did you go all nail gun on the tree and put in loads of the nails ???

About 10 three inch nails. Good fun if you are not in a rush for a miracle death.

bekisman
28-Mar-08, 16:52
Years ago had a 'friend' who had a neighbours Lelandi going bezerk and cutting out the light, most people would pay a fortune for a solicitor (no regulations in those days to height) to try and sort it out.. so someone cut a ring around the trunk, and they all died, don't know if they poured something into the roots too or not...