PDA

View Full Version : Dream job!

floyed
27-Mar-08, 18:26
When you where growing up, what job did you want to have when you were older??

I wanted to work with computers when i was in primary school, don't no what doing. But i think my brother giving me my first computer, an a Amiga had something to do with it. In high school i wanted to be a chef.

percy toboggan
27-Mar-08, 18:44
Truck Driver
Professional Footballer
Rock musician

Not necessarily in that order you understand....now, all of those categories seem to have paled somewhat.

starry
27-Mar-08, 18:52
I always wanted to be a nurse.

mccaugm
27-Mar-08, 19:12
Then
age 13 - Air Hostess
age 14 - hairdresser
age 15 - no idea
age 16 - nurse

age 30+ (a lady never tells) I wanted to be work in a solicitors as an estate agent/legal secretary...now in college trying to achieve my new dream

sweetpea
27-Mar-08, 19:14
I always wanted to go to Art School, got accepted, ready to go then got a summer job in a Mental Hospital and loved it so much I went down that route instead.

EDDIE
27-Mar-08, 19:30
when i was little i always wanted to be a robber it must have been watching to much tv back then

percy toboggan
27-Mar-08, 19:37
Nowadays I'd like to write...but there are too many at it...just look at the org ;-)

floyed
27-Mar-08, 19:39
Nowadays I'd like to write...but there are too many at it...just look at the org ;-)

very true lol:D

unicorn
27-Mar-08, 19:41
I wanted to be a vet or work with animals in some way.

justine
27-Mar-08, 19:43
well i wanted to be a tank driver when i was 8 then decided on an air hostess...

floyed
27-Mar-08, 19:47
well i wanted to be a tank driver when i was 8 then decided on an air hostess...

A tank driver what a great job lol:D wonder what made you think of it??

mccaugm
27-Mar-08, 19:48
I always wanted to go to Art School, got accepted, ready to go then got a summer job in a Mental Hospital and loved it so much I went down that route instead.

So going by your signature you didn't need to vacuum. LOL!

I also worked in mental hospital not long after I left school, I hated it. Changed careers in my early twenties so I could work in offices. Much more me I think.

justine
27-Mar-08, 20:17
A tank driver what a great job lol:D wonder what made you think of it??
i think the fact that my father was driving one on the army camp, may have had something to do with it...I also played with action men. i think they wanted a boy.

Wellies
27-Mar-08, 20:34
I have got my dream job. There is just no money in doing it, but would never change it in anyother way.

unicorn
27-Mar-08, 21:01
you certainly love it though Wellies :D

Sapphire2803
27-Mar-08, 21:23
I spent most of my childhood wanting to be a truck driver or a car mechanic or anything to do with horses,
I had a brief notion of being a hairdresser. When I left school in Ireland there was nobody willing to take on a girl as an apprentice mechanic and I was too young to train as an HGV driver so I worked for the Aga Khan and then Kevin Prendergast until I stopped work when I had my children. Even in the world of horses in Ireland at the time there were only a handful of female grooms, well at least I heard there were others. I never met one.
That's what I get for being a tomboy.
I started working towards a law degree when I was 27, but then a marriage break up and the ensuing divorce knocked that on the head. I'd love to go back to it, I just need to give myself a kick up the butt to get on with it :lol:

Whitewater
27-Mar-08, 21:56
I became an apprentice, got a HND, done open university, became a manager. I'm now retired, and on reflection, going by all the books I read, I think I would have enjoyed being a historian. Wishful thinking now I guess, but I do some research on local history it is a very enjoyable hobby.

northener
27-Mar-08, 21:57
I always wanted to be a complete waste of space.

And now I are one.:Razz

newpark
27-Mar-08, 22:00
First was Air Hostess then it was a teacher.

Fantoosh
27-Mar-08, 22:03
Eco Warrior
Zoologist
Hippy :lol:
Teacher
Artist

Now studying degree to be a teacher.....hopefully if i stick it out. Might change my mind some time soon. Would like to be Art teacher in Secondary school or nursery teacher maybe

justine
27-Mar-08, 22:15
I became an apprentice, got a HND, done open university, became a manager. I'm now retired, and on reflection, going by all the books I read, I think I would have enjoyed being a historian. Wishful thinking now I guess, but I do some research on local history it is a very enjoyable hobby.

I agree with the hobby you have .I have been studying local history for about a month and it fascinates me....

neepnipper
27-Mar-08, 22:23
I wanted to be an archaeologist from the age of about 8, only managed to get an 'A'level in it, didn't take it any further.

Second choice was working with animals which I suppose I sort of do now!

golach
27-Mar-08, 22:24
From an early age all I wanted to do was go to sea, which I did aged 16, and sailed the 7 seas until I became a prospective father 8 years later, then many jobs all of which I left for better things. But since I retired I have found my dream job, what I do now, sit on an open topped bus and telling stories, to visitors, and getting a round of applause at the end of a tour.

dook
27-Mar-08, 22:35
A male gigolo commanding thousands of pounds per client. Started out all right but now I wouldn't be happy with the wage cut to the thousands.......

sweetpea
27-Mar-08, 22:37
Considering we spend roughly a third of our lives at work it's a great feeling when your in a job you love and get a lot of satisfaction from, anyone that has found their dream job is very lucky indeed. I reckon a lot of folk are trapped in jobs because of money or fear of taking a risk and following their dreams. Noways it's said that people will change not just jobs but careers on average seven times.

blowfish
27-Mar-08, 22:55
I have always wished to do conservation or something similar. I was never intelligent enough to get a degree in such studies.

I always wanted to focus my attention on the Canadian wildlife having travelled there on many an occasion. I fell in love with the rockys there and was fascinated with such animals as the majestic Elk, fearsome Bear and lovely Beaver in their natural enviroment.

dook
27-Mar-08, 22:59
I have always wished to do conservation or something similar. I was never intelligent enough to get a degree in such studies.

I always wanted to focus my attention on the Canadian wildlife having travelled there on many an occasion. I fell in love with the rockys there and was fascinated with such animals as the majestic Elk, fearsome Bear and lovely Beaver in their natural enviroment.

Canadian or Cairnduna?

rfr10
27-Mar-08, 23:22
I still am growing up but I'll post my previous plans here anyway if you don't mind.

In primary school, I wanted to be a policeman but let's face it, most people in primary school say they want to be a policeman or a fireman or something along those lines!

At the beginning of High School, I wanted to work with computers (Computer Support Services Engineer to be specific) Along side this though, I had a career in music in mind but then decided I'd probably rather do this as a hobbie.

Moving on through High School, my career choice remained the same.

Now, being in 5th year, I've got various choices in mind. I've moved away from computers now and decided I either want to get into politics, youth development or guidance counselling/ social work.

I don't know if that will remain the same as I get older or will it remain the same. Who knows.

sweetpea
27-Mar-08, 23:32
Now, being in 5th year, I've got various choices in mind. I've moved away from computers now and decided I either want to get into politics, youth development or guidance counselling/ social work.

I don't know if that will remain the same as I get older or will it remain the same. Who knows.[/quote]

Go for whatever makes you feel good and your passionate about. Some of the above you mentioned may come with more life experience. Just follow whatever path makes you feel good and feels right. You don't have to get it right first time and I'm sure you will try a few thigns before you find your niche.

Whitewater
27-Mar-08, 23:56

I don't know if that will remain the same as I get older or will it remain the same. Who knows.

Go for whatever takes your fancy, your choices all seem to be sound.

When I was young my parents couldn't afford university so I took the next best thing, a good apprenticeship. Got a good education out of it, and a good life, although probably not on the lines of what I may have followed if I had been able to continue my education at university.

At the end of tha day in choosing a career, you have to follow what you are most suitably adapted for, rather than what you would like to do. I have a friend who took honours in geology, he is the same age as me, but he never ever worked as a geologist.

The Angel Of Death
28-Mar-08, 00:10
Astronaut being part of a privileged group like that and being able to see with your own eyes the earth / moon below would be fantastic would take my breath away to do or see that hopefully in my lifetime easy jet will do budget space tours from Inverness lol

blowfish
28-Mar-08, 00:10
Justine I was going to study history but there is no future in it

Hibeechick
28-Mar-08, 11:48
Im one of the lucky ones in that im doing what I always wanted to do, right from a very young age :)

Ricco
29-Mar-08, 15:32
Pilot - didn't mind what. Eyesight let me down.
Astronaut - yeh... didn't make that either.

Last thing on my mind was teacher... but I really enjoy it. :D