PDA

View Full Version : What is Caithness Culture?

jojam76
27-Mar-08, 16:49
Hi all

I'm not so much of a newbie more a reader of the forums rather than a contributor but I'm hoping that maybe some of you can help me out. Pretty Please! lol

I am currently studying with UHI for a degree in Culture Studies of the Highlands and Islands.....one of the projects I am currently researching is regarding the culture of my particular home area....ie. Caithness or more specifically Thurso.

I noticed on a thread a wee while ago there was some debate about whether Caithness dialect was dying out....I would be interested in what people's views are on this and would anyone be prepared to be interviewed on the subject??

Also if it is not our language...dialect....what in the culture of Caithness do you think makes us seperate or distinct from the rest of the Highlands? Any views would be really greatfully appreciated.

Boozeburglar
27-Mar-08, 21:17
I think that you would be hard pressed to discern Caithness from Sutherland in terms of the culture historically.

James Hunter's Last of the Free would be a good place to start reading, if it is not already on your shelves.

:)