PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers

igglepiggle
27-Mar-08, 10:22
Just putting out feelers to see if there is any interest in Weight Watcher meetings in Thurso and Wick?

i have used weight watchers at home myself for the past 3 years and it really helps, and near my target, i would like to help others reach there goal and feel good about themselves also.

Any feedback positive or negative would be good.

Many thanks

Ash
27-Mar-08, 10:30
i would love to do this in thurso, getting married and want to lose weight

newpark
27-Mar-08, 10:33
I went to weight watchers in Aberdeen and lost loads of weight. When I came back up here I started with Scottish Slimmers. I can say from my own experience Scottish Slimmmers and Weight Watchers are much the same and I have done well with them both. So if WW did start up here I would probably just stick with Scottish Slimmers.

Ash
27-Mar-08, 10:34
i didnt know there was scottish slimmers up here, where?
how does it work

grumpy1
27-Mar-08, 10:47
Just putting out feelers to see if there is any interest in Weight Watcher meetings in Thurso and Wick?

i have used weight watchers at home myself for the past 3 years and it really helps, and near my target, i would like to help others reach there goal and feel good about themselves also.

Many thanks

oh definately been messing wi scottish slimmers for ages an getting no where fast.. there more range with weight watchers and is a definate morale boost at the weekly meetings.. count me in if you do go ahead.

mccaugm
27-Mar-08, 10:48

Many thanks

Weight watchers is MUCH easier to stick to than Scottish Slimmers. There are two options "points" or "full choice". Points, as the word states gives you points which equate to different types and amounts of food. Full choice means you can eat as much of a list of foods that you like (bar bread) as long as you have 3 meals a day. You do get a couple of extras for sweet snacks etc. I did it before I got married and again after I had my third son and it did work.
If you do become a leader I would definintely come along...esp if you had a class in Halkirk!

Venture
27-Mar-08, 11:07

Many thanks

Have been to both over the years and definitely found Weight Watchers a much better organisation with better diets and more support. Scottish Slimmers used to be good in Wick until Fiona and Irene left. Im afraid its gone downhill with me since then. Would love to join if you start up in Wick.

binbob
27-Mar-08, 11:59
me too for weight watchers..much better than scottish slimmers.

sadam
27-Mar-08, 12:19
I would like to try the WW as i was with SS for a few years and didnt get much support from them. I got my weight down a good bit then it stopped and wouldnt budge any more which was very frustrating. I would get weighed and if it was up they would'nt help you understand what you've done wrong etc it was always the same comment try again for next week. I got to the stage i grudged paying to be told this so I stopped going. I will keep my eyes open for you starting up

gillsib
27-Mar-08, 14:26
Having joined WeightWatchers thorugh the internet I lost 1.5 Stone. Initially I found it really easy to stick to but as time went on having to update daily eating plans to track my allowance usage became harder and harder. Although they offer support through their website - with messages like 'noticed you have gained a few pounds this week' became very annoying and I missed having a meeting to go to and the support you receive through real people. Would love someone to start up here as support makes all the difference when sticking to a diet.

igglepiggle
27-Mar-08, 15:44
Thanks guys,

thanks for the feedback, both positive and negative. I know there is a scottish slimmers up here and didnt want to tread on anyones toes, i am currently in the process off the application stage so i will let you know how it goes.

keep the feedback coming.

baggie boy
30-Mar-08, 17:55
hi

am currently doing weight watchers on line but wish there was local meetings. i started bout 6 weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds so far but now am losing interest in logging on line to do your daily plans. i am male, would i be the only male to attend these meetings?

mccaugm
30-Mar-08, 21:41
I attended Weightwatchers meetings with men and women alike. Admittedly there were fewer blokes but there was no "them and us culture". Everyone had the same goal, so there was mutual respect and support.

igglepiggle
31-Mar-08, 14:43
Weight watchers is a club for both men and female and of all ages over 18. I would welcome both men and women to offer my support and encouragement to them.

i have tried the online diet and i was also getting fed up of going online to update my eating plans etc, it was a friend of my mums that said to her that i should start up the weight watchers club up here as i done so well on the points plan before i got married. i have since put a little on since having a baby, but i am sticking at it again. I feel it is a great way to loose weight but still enjoy your food.

igglepiggle
31-Mar-08, 14:49
hi

am currently doing weight watchers on line but wish there was local meetings. i started bout 6 weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds so far but now am losing interest in logging on line to do your daily plans. i am male, would i be the only male to attend these meetings?

Well done for your weight loss, that is a really steady amount for 6 weeks, i know it is a hassel logging into do your daily plans, but keep at it at.:D

As for being male, it makes no difference what sex you are, everyone is there for the support and encouragement.

keep up the good work!!

CurlyTop
31-Mar-08, 15:22
:D
Weight watchers is a club for both men and female and of all ages over 18. I would welcome both men and women to offer my support and encouragement to them.

i have tried the online diet and i was also getting fed up of going online to update my eating plans etc, it was a friend of my mums that said to her that i should start up the weight watchers club up here as i done so well on the points plan before i got married. i have since put a little on since having a baby, but i am sticking at it again. I feel it is a great way to loose weight but still enjoy your food.

Igglepiggle!
I have previously been to WW's down the line and lost 4 stone on it, I never felt like I was on a diet as as you say you can eat what you want as long as it is within your points. I looked into starting a class up here when I moved but because I was not at a regular class before I moved I could not so would love it if you did as need to loose a lot more weight. Going to the classes is far better than the internet site as you get to do it as a team and see other people and hear their successes. Some folk in my class lost 8 stone!! Please let me know if and when you start one in Wick.

dirdyweeker
01-Apr-08, 00:05
hi

there were males attending the Scottish Slimmers in Wick when I attended. Does it really matter if you are the only one?. We would all have the same goal.

lexie
01-Apr-08, 12:03
what ever diet thats followed..... it only works if you stick to it!

gillsib
14-Apr-08, 14:25
Hi

Is there any progress in setting up the classes - things are getting desperate!!!!

Thanks

donnasmithy27
14-Apr-08, 15:57
Thier is scottish slimmers twice a week in Thurso , Monday and Tuesday,

porshiepoo
14-Apr-08, 17:43
Definately up for WW. Would prefer Wick but desperate enough to travel to Thurso.
Have done SS but found it too much like Slimming World, I can't be doing with Red days OR Green days - too restrictive.

igglepiggle
14-Apr-08, 20:50
hi all,

i am still in the application progress and awaiting my training. i will let you updated

sadam
15-Apr-08, 17:05
Why not try for one in Wick and one in Thurso then all would be happy

mccaugm
15-Apr-08, 17:08
Why not try for one in Wick and one in Thurso then all would be happy

& Halkirk....scunnered travelling through to Thurso for weigh ins...

magtomich
22-Jun-08, 23:33
Any progress on getting meetings started in Thurso

oldmarine
23-Jun-08, 01:44
Sounds like WW and SS have the same goals. Whatever works best for you, I suggest that one. We have an abundance of WW here in the states. I nearly joined, but discovered I could lose weight just as effectively by way of exercise. I walk 3 to 4 miles daily, work with weights, and use our community swimming pool often. I am able to control my weight with those methods. I truly enjoy walking. When it gets too hot here in sunny Arizona I go "Mall Walking" in airconditioned Malls. My wife discovered how much fun it can be and has joined me.

igglepiggle
23-Jun-08, 15:13
Sorry i am still waiting to hear, once i have any information i will post it on here for you all.

duchess
03-Aug-08, 20:30
hi there just wondering if you were any further ahead with starting weight watchers classes in caithness

tobleroneali
11-Aug-08, 16:23
I have been doing ww online, but would love to attend meetings, its frustrating knowing the nearest meeting is Dingwall! And doing it online, you dont get certificates and keys etc like you do at meetings.

Please keep us updated!

joxville
11-Aug-08, 17:40
Just a suggestion but if Thurso and Wick both had a club then the residents of the respective towns could jog to the other town and back, wouldn't that help in their goal to lose weight?

JammyDodger69
11-Aug-08, 19:02
i was going to join, but everytime it was due to go, i'd back out. i feel too nervous going by myself.

sarah

Welcomefamily
11-Aug-08, 22:44
At least if its in Thurso, I can go for a chinese and a few pints afterwards and not worry about having to drive.

purplelady
11-Aug-08, 23:17
Would deff come to a wick one

ABC
14-Apr-09, 08:46
Did anything every come of this? Would be interesting

joxville
14-Apr-09, 23:46
Did anything every come of this? Would be interesting

Was resurrecting this thread at Easter deliberate.....don't you know they'll all be stuffed with Easter eggs? [lol]

butterfly
15-Apr-09, 00:20
Was resurrecting this thread at Easter deliberate.....don't you know they'll all be stuffed with Easter eggs? [lol]

This thread is not for you Joxy,you dont need to lose weight but you do need to see a Doctor about that monstrous head of yours.[lol]

Fran
15-Apr-09, 01:28
I would go to meetings in wick

dragonfly
15-Apr-09, 07:27
I've done both too, WW easier for busy Mums however I would love it if someone opened a Curves (http://curvesscotland.com/) branch up here somewhere

mccaugm
15-Apr-09, 09:12
Weightwatchers is the best by far...I need to lose about 2 stone..and would love WW to be in the area. Someone take the risk please. I probably would but I don't drive which is kind of necessary.

igglepiggle
15-Apr-09, 11:21
hi there, i put off all the information they needed for it but sadly got no joy from them. i think it would off been great, as so many interested!

Dadie
15-Apr-09, 11:29
It would be useful to have a good slimming group that could advise on slimming while still breastfeeding.... all that happens when you try to join a group on the net is you get refered to your doc.
Im not looking to lose much weight at any one time but to stop me putting it on while trying to wean Iona off the boob!
I will start slimming when the breastfeeding is stopped!

edayhouse
08-Sep-09, 09:35
Any word on a Weight Watcher class coming to Thurso?

tartanyorkie
08-Sep-09, 12:40
I wish there was one. It is not the same doing it online. I need to get out of the house.

igglepiggle
08-Sep-09, 14:10
I never heard back from Weight Watchers and i havent chased them up after starting my new job. I agree there should be one up here tho, i think they would do really well after all the positive feedback there has been.

MsMe
08-Sep-09, 14:29
Hi All,

There seems to be a lot of interest in these slimming classes, there also seems to be a fair bit of knowledge on the whole diet part.

My question is,

With all the knowledge brought by each individual does it matter whether or not one or two people are certified?

For instance, why cant you approach the powers that be that run the assembly rooms and hire a room once a week where you can all meet up and discuss your plans?

There is a huge ammount of information readily available on the net including the cheque points for whichever diet that uses them, anyone with a small amount of time and printer can put a pretty good package together and chair the meetings.

What is good for one may not be good for another, the basics to weight loss are exactley the same regardless of the horribly named fad diets.

Best of luck to all!!!