PDA

View Full Version : Inverness/new shops in Wick

bobbyrussell09
26-Mar-08, 17:01
is it me or is it not a good time to go to here as i went down on monday and came home with nowt.not even ma usual funny t shirt fae matalan.whats everyone else think?

Ash
26-Mar-08, 17:03
i think its a hit or a miss sometimes the shops are awful.... depends what your looking for

bobbyrussell09
26-Mar-08, 17:07
wasnt looking for anything in particular,thought id get some new jeans or a console game,sadly nowt took ma fancy

carasmam
26-Mar-08, 17:11
I hate when that happens :mad: Then when you've no money you see loads that you want :roll:

bobbyrussell09
26-Mar-08, 17:13
what new shops would people like in wick.for me i would like a jjb sport to give our 1 a run for its money.also ones i wouldnt like to see is more cafes of chippys

rob16d
26-Mar-08, 17:32
I'd like to see a decent clothes shop or a music shop.

BRIE
26-Mar-08, 19:00
i went to inverness on friday & got loads of things, thats the first time ive managed to find anything i like in ages

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 19:08
I can never justify the cost of the fuel for a run to Inverness, but if I do get down there I tend to raid Primark for kids clothes. It'd be great to get a Primark or Matalan in Wick.

silverfox57
26-Mar-08, 20:53
I would like to see d i y shop,with reasonable prices ,as could shop all day in big d i y shops, dose that mean I am male or female??

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 20:58
I would like to see d i y shop,with reasonable prices ,as could shop all day in big d i y shops, dose that mean I am male or female??
Yep, B&Q would be good, I never used to shop in Homebase down south, too expensive. You'd think they'd do better as they're owned by the same people as Argos and some of the products are the same.
I can spend hours wandering round a good DIY shop, looking at all the things I can't afford and I'm female (last time I checked) so I'd say it doesn't give any clues :D

NickInTheNorth
26-Mar-08, 20:59
I find I can buy nearly everything I want when I want at good prices simply by buying online. The major exception is bulky DIY materials. However Travis Perkins are pretty good for that sort of thing.

Certainly cheaper than a trip to Inverness - or even Wick!

balto
26-Mar-08, 21:46
we could do with a decent kids clothes shop in THURSO for a change all we have is M & co and the little(sorry nearly none) range of clothes we have in woolies.

Angel
27-Mar-08, 00:25
lets have all the high street shop all the other towns have.. then we can all look the same.... then sometime in the future we will all start eating grass...

new independents is what we need....

beelag2000
27-Mar-08, 00:46
Other than the novelty "day out" value or unless you can get a very cheap mode of transport to Inversnecky and back then travelling by car to the Highland capital to shop is always going to work out expensive for buying stuff.
Round trip of 220miles at a conservative estimate of 25p a mile to run your banger = £55 + whatever you judge your precious time is worth x 4hours travelling.
You are going to have to get some bargains to offset that initial additional cost to make your trip worth while on a financial basis.

Fran
27-Mar-08, 02:25
I came back from inverness tonight and thought the shops were great....especially the pound shop, i couldn't beleive how they could sell things so cheaply.Peacocks is opening tomorrow and that looks a great shop, also there wre a lot of sales on. Cant wait to get back next week!!!

Boozeburglar
27-Mar-08, 12:37
I hope anyone coming to Inverness for shopping makes sure their car is full to capacity.

Car sharing is the way I try to offset some of my carbon footprint, I always ask around and find someone to take the spare seats if possible.

:)

Sapphire2803
27-Mar-08, 12:55
I hope anyone coming to Inverness for shopping makes sure their car is full to capacity.

Car sharing is the way I try to offset some of my carbon footprint, I always ask around and find someone to take the spare seats if possible.

If I fill up my car, it probably won't make it to Inverness :eek:

The Angel Of Death
27-Mar-08, 13:39
Round trip of 220miles at a conservative estimate of 25p a mile to run your banger = £55 + whatever you judge your precious time is worth x 4hours travelling.

Lol didnt know anyone with a space shuttle that makes a round trip to inverness !!!

My car is a 1.8 and i can quite easily do a run to inverness on £30 and thats normally with 3 or 4 in the car as well

northener
27-Mar-08, 13:48
Lol didnt know anyone with a space shuttle that makes a round trip to inverness !!!

My car is a 1.8 and i can quite easily do a run to inverness on £30 and thats normally with 3 or 4 in the car as well

Depreciation? Wear, tear and maintenance associated with mileage covered?

The Angel Of Death
27-Mar-08, 13:53
Fair point but still i would only associate that sort of costs for a round trip to inverness (Fuel only) with a monster of a car engine size

Even when you take wear and tear into the equation i still wouldnt expect a cost of £55 (ish) for a trip to inverness and back in a normal car

Fran
29-Mar-08, 00:07
I put £20 of petrol in the tank and that sees me to inverness and back home again to wick.

Boozeburglar
29-Mar-08, 02:18
On Petrol?

Are ye on a bike?

Gross
29-Mar-08, 09:30
I love the comment about JD sports giving the Wick sports shop a run for it's money. So community spirited!

I say we close the council offices, the BT Call Centre, the Cinema and the local restaurants. Tender the council and BT call centre services to a call centre in India - so much cheaper, and the great thing is that since everyone loves Primark, JD Sports, Peacocks etc. and all their clothes are made there, it'll be fine to have Indian staff, unless of course, you think they're only good enough to work in sweat shops.

Close the cinema. Just watch stuff online. Saves you having to go out.
Get rid of those pesky restaurants that give a place an identity, we all know that identity is bad. MacDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut all do edible food and it'll make us feel like we're not so remote.

Any other ideas for sterilising Caithness? What other shops do you want closed down. (Cross reference thread to the one on unemployment).

northener
29-Mar-08, 10:15
I love the comment about JD sports giving the Wick sports shop a run for it's money. So community spirited!

I say we close the council offices, the BT Call Centre, the Cinema and the local restaurants. Tender the council and BT call centre services to a call centre in India - so much cheaper, and the great thing is that since everyone loves Primark, JD Sports, Peacocks etc. and all their clothes are made there, it'll be fine to have Indian staff, unless of course, you think they're only good enough to work in sweat shops.

Close the cinema. Just watch stuff online. Saves you having to go out.
Get rid of those pesky restaurants that give a place an identity, we all know that identity is bad. MacDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut all do edible food and it'll make us feel like we're not so remote.

Any other ideas for sterilising Caithness? What other shops do you want closed down. (Cross reference thread to the one on unemployment).

I was beginning to think I was the only one who would prefer not to see Caithness reduced to a bland retail landscape controlled by huge national companies. You tell'em!:Razz

Tony
29-Mar-08, 21:31
Regarding the fuel prices up here. Perhaps the Thurso customers are subsidising Wick area or fuel companies could be subsidising Wick due to local competition by a multinational within close proximity. If the fuel taxation is national then the pricing of all fuel should be nationalised also so everybody is paying the same.
I may be wrong but It would appear "GLEANER" seem to be taking over the Highlands as the majority of garages have this name displayed suggesting unfair lack of competition.

Angel
29-Mar-08, 22:53
Gleaner... Isn't that owned by Tesco?

hotrod4
30-Mar-08, 13:45
More LOCALLY owned shops is what we need.
Its Ok to say we need "cheaper" shops, but small companies cant compete with the big boys, due to bulk ordering etc, but most try and compete.
I work for a "local" shop and our prices are the exact same as Inverness and sometimes even cheaper!!.
If locals support local shops then they will prosper if they dont then say goodbye to "local" .
Charity shops dont really help either.
I am all for charity but how many more charity shops do we need?.
These shops also affect local shops,though not on the same scale.
Having worked for the "big boys" and local shops I must admit the "personal" touch does make a difference as local shops dont have to stick to "head office" rules all the time and have some leeway.

JAWS
30-Mar-08, 14:07
Gleaner... Isn't that owned by Tesco?No they aren't.

©Amethyst
30-Mar-08, 19:06
I went shopping with my housemate on Friday. Neither of us were impressed and we're so very disappointed with Bay closing down... Did not like Peacock's at all. And is it just me or is the petite range in Top Shop (the only place I can buy trousers that fit me unless I go to Kylie - I dropped a dress size when I actually started eating properly a year ago once I got used to my diet requirements) getting shabbier and shabbier!?

These days, Inverness has little appeal to me, perhaps is because it's home to me now. Roll on next day trip to Edinburgh! lol

©Amethyst
30-Mar-08, 19:14
Gleaner... Isn't that owned by Tesco?

I thought it was Shell

Edit: further investigation looks as though they are independant although they are a 'shell distributor' lol

Highland Laddie
30-Mar-08, 20:05
I never count Depreciation? Wear, tear and maintenance when making any journey, as you have to pay that if the car sits in the garage and never turns a wheel.

ashaw1
31-Mar-08, 16:51
I put £20 of petrol in the tank and that sees me to inverness and back home again to wick.
Me too!!!!!!!

wi46
31-Mar-08, 19:17
£18 return from Wick to Inverness in my Deisel van