PDA

View Full Version : Muckquoys

Robert1893
17-May-03, 21:34
Can anyone help me to locate the site of Muckquoys in the Parish of Bower? I believe it was in the vicinity of Tister. My GGG Grandmother was there at the time of her marriage to Donald Sutherland of Mount Pleasant in 1806.

KitKat
22-Sep-03, 21:15
Muckqouys no longer exists as a farm. It has been incorporated into the farm of Tister.
One of the fields is still known as Muckquoys.

Robert1893
14-Oct-03, 21:06
Thanks, Kit Kat. I apologise for not responding sooner to your post but I've just returned (to England) from a visit to Thurso. I had that suggestion from the Highland Archive on my last trip up. I have found Tister on the OS Map but didn't get out that way this trip. I was too busy chasing up McKays and Shearers this time. Quite successfully. Thanks again.

Tricia
16-Oct-03, 21:22
Robert
Any of your Shearers from Dunnet, Canisbay or Wick.

Robert1893
16-Oct-03, 23:23
Tricia, my Shearers were from Thurso but I have reason to believe that one branch moved to Wick. I've just found this out so haven't much infromation as yet. John Shearer married Helen Waters McKay in 1873 in Thurso. One of their sons was Donald Frederick Shearer who was a draper in Thurso and also had two stores in Wick where I believe he lived. I only got this information on Fred Shearer on my recent visit to Thurso and haven't yet got any further. I believe Fred Shearer and his shop were very well known in the town. The Thurso site is occupied by a branch of Mackays now. I didn't manage to get over to Wick to find out the locations of the Wick branches of Fred Shearer's.

Tricia
04-Jan-07, 15:21
Robert
Hope you still visit this message site.
QUOTE 2003 :"Donald Frederick Shearer who was a draper in Thurso and also had two stores in Wick where I believe he lived. I only got this information on Fred Shearer on my recent visit to Thurso and haven't yet got any further. I believe Fred Shearer and his shop were very well known in the town"

Are you related to the above family if so get in touch with me.
Tricia

Angela
04-Jan-07, 15:57
Robert
Hope you still visit this message site.
QUOTE 2003 :"Donald Frederick Shearer who was a draper in Thurso and also had two stores in Wick where I believe he lived. I only got this information on Fred Shearer on my recent visit to Thurso and haven't yet got any further. I believe Fred Shearer and his shop were very well known in the town"

Are you related to the above family if so get in touch with me.
Tricia
Hi Tricia,

Well...Fred Shearer's as well as Grover Clyne - I do remember them!
No likely family connection, but I'm trying to find out about the family that ran the Cliff Bakery up to the 1960s I think - they were friends of my auntie (or possibly cousins?). I can visualise the lady who used to serve us but I just can't remember her name!

Angela