PDA

View Full Version : Do you re-use polythene bags?

mccaugm
26-Mar-08, 10:53
Gordon Brown is proposing that companies charge for the use of polythene bags.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7270358.stm

What I want to know is how is this good for me as an individual directly? I am doing a project on this subject and I understand its good for the environment to "reduce, reuse, recycle". What I do not understand is how not using polythene bags is good for me as a customer of whatever shop I am buying from???? Anyone help?

badger
26-Mar-08, 11:08
Apart from making you feel better for doing your bit, everything we as individuals do is good for us in the long run if it helps save the planet and therefore, if not our own lives, those of our children.

But I'm puzzled by your question. Surely you don't organise your life on the basis of only doing what is good for you personally? Don't believe it. Or is this nothing to do with you and only for your project?

Bobinovich
26-Mar-08, 11:09
Firstly in answer to your query we do reuse our poly bags but as bin liners for small household bins - however these eventually end up in the main bin. This is where the problem stems from - that fact that, no matter how often they get reused, eventually they do rip or break and are then generally binned so end up in landfill anyway.

It is a real waste and I think we should be using shopping bags which last years - we have used collapsible boxes when shopping before but you need a good number of them for a decent shop.

ciderally
26-Mar-08, 11:14
afraid i save all mine and use as poop scoop.. when out with the dogs

changilass
26-Mar-08, 11:37
It would make a greater difference to the planet if they stopped putting all the packaging on stuff, I can fill a black bin liner with rubbish just from sorting the shopping out.

Each carrier gets used twice once for shopping and then again as a bag for rubbish.

All stopping carrier bags will do is to make me buy more black bin liners, so the shops have won yet again, and the planet is no better off.

johndh
26-Mar-08, 11:46
Gordon Brown is proposing that companies charge for the use of polythene bags.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7270358.stm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7270358.stm)

What I want to know is how is this good for me as an individual directly? I am doing a project on this subject and I understand its good for the environment to "reduce, reuse, recycle". What I do not understand is how not using polythene bags is good for me as a customer of whatever shop I am buying from???? Anyone help?

Very often I don't use plastic bags, and those I do get from the shops are re-used until they fall to bits.

I used to visit Loch Lomond, the shores were a disgrace with litter, mainly plastic and coke tins. But that's more about peoples behaviour.

The benefit to you, is that by not using plastic bags, you will not have to eat them. Plastic does not degrade at all well when its discarded. What does happen, particularly on beaches, is the plastic becomes fragmented until it eventually becomes the size of grains of sand. There is some study on this, cant remember where, but samples taken from some beaches show that plastic is now a constituent of the sand. Fish and other marine life also show that plastic has been ingested. That's what I mean about you not having to eat it, if we don't use them.

Something missed by the government, is that it is not bags that are the problem, but all plastic that is thrown away. Have a look at various beaches, see what's washed up. Have a look at the shores of Loch Lomond, a disgrace. Given time, most of that garbage winds up in the food chain. So another point missed by the Government is peoples behaviour when they're out and about.

So plastic bags are not the whole problem, just a part of it. But the government action on them makes them look good, makes the retailers look good. Green is the new marketing tool, even if it is not that green.

mccaugm
26-Mar-08, 11:51
Apart from making you feel better for doing your bit, everything we as individuals do is good for us in the long run if it helps save the planet and therefore, if not our own lives, those of our children.

But I'm puzzled by your question. Surely you don't organise your life on the basis of only doing what is good for you personally? Don't believe it. Or is this nothing to do with you and only for your project?

Don't panic I am a great believer in environmental issues and my question is solely in regards to my project.

olivia
26-Mar-08, 13:32
I've started using the carriers that the likes of Tesco's sell for 10p. They will replace them if they get worn out. They seems quite strong though so I should think they will last me a fair while.

Margaret M.
26-Mar-08, 14:26
What I do not understand is how not using polythene bags is good for me as a customer of whatever shop I am buying from????

I can't think of any benefit other than the environmental one -- plastic is certainly lighter to carry and easier to store. Paper bags are equally as bad for the environment.

I take my own canvas bags to the grocery store -- I get a few cents credit for each one I bring. Some clothing stores love to wrap each item in tissue and then put it in a bag. When I ask them to skip all the frivilous wrapping, they look at me like I have dropped in from another planet. Stores like seeing shoppers carry their name around on a bag and they are not at their happiest when I stuff the items I buy into a bag I am already carrying.

Julia
26-Mar-08, 14:29
I reuse plastic bags, my bin was bought to use them specifically, the rest I recycle. I even recycle till receipts :eek:

wifie
26-Mar-08, 15:28
Something to think about
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/steve-connor-why-plastic-is-the-scourge-of-sea-life-778017.html

canuck
26-Mar-08, 15:51
... What I do not understand is how not using polythene bags is good for me as a customer of whatever shop I am buying from???? Anyone help?

I'm starting to push the envelope with my answer to your question, but it does have a somewhat positive side to not using polythene bags.

When I was moving to Scotland I had to dispose of many old bits of clothing and household items which I kept around as much for the good memories as for anything practical. What do you do with your babies' old crib sheets and way out of style cotton skirts? You make them into cotton shopping bags. It saves the environment and gives a distinctiveness to your grocery shopping as well as makes you feel good when the old things jog your memories of fun times way past.

So, recycled skirts and shirts will be a good thing for you because the memories they evoke will make you feel good in the grocery store.

bekisman
26-Mar-08, 15:52
Don't use plastic bags at all - put the shopping straight into the trolley and then transfer to boxes and insulated bags in the boot of car (In Tesco's get points for each bag we don't use - soon mounts up)

cuddlepop
26-Mar-08, 16:43
We use ours to line the small bins in the house,rubbish bag for the car and dogs mess.give them to local charity shops too as there alwas wanting some.
Saw big recycle plastic bag bins in Morrisons in Dumbarton when we were away,havent seen them anywhere else.

badger
26-Mar-08, 17:03
I've been using re-usable bags for years but did have a problem with how to line the kitchen bin until I tried using newspaper, which is what I was using for the compost bin anyway. To my surprise it works well for a smallish bin but might be more difficult with a large one. Not impossible though except you have to take the whole bin to the wheelie where I'm afraid I do use a big plastic bag but that's because it's a long walk to the bin (and I mean long - boots, hat and coat job!).

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 18:45
I use them as bin liners, we give some to the local shop. I don't get that many though as I quite often do my tesco shopping online and get it delivered and they don't use bags.
A lot of the paper and plastic ends up on the fire in our house, so at least it provides us with heat.
Has anyone tried the compostable plastic bags? Do they work as well as they claim?

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 18:58
I burn mine or use them as a poop scoop. I reckon that a placky bag is more harmful to wildlife or the bairn in the bag form than it would be as carbon dioxide after I've burned it.

mccaugm
26-Mar-08, 19:40
I use them as bin liners, we give some to the local shop. I don't get that many though as I quite often do my tesco shopping online and get it delivered and they don't use bags.
A lot of the paper and plastic ends up on the fire in our house, so at least it provides us with heat.
Has anyone tried the compostable plastic bags? Do they work as well as they claim?
I also shop online, one wee mannie firing round the county is far better than hundreds of cars that would be using gallons fuel if people did not shop online, as well as the reduction in the use of plastic bags.

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 20:09
I just noticed that Keiss shop are starting to charge 5p for plastic bags.
I don't mind I have my collection of coop and tesco reusable bags. I just keep them in the car. Like I said earlier I use some for the bin, but if that stops, then fine, I'll just buy more bin bags.
I get the free poop scoop bags from the council, wonder how long it'll be before they stop that?

Penelope Pitstop
26-Mar-08, 22:23
stopped putting all the packaging on stuff, I can fill a black bin liner with rubbish just from sorting the shopping out.

That's what I find too.....far too much packaging.

Bought 2 pairs of knickers in Inverness today. Before I got my purse out of my bag they were wrapped in tissue paper, put in a posh cardboard bag with a rope handle and sprinkled with smelly beads....good god what's all that about:eek:....not as if they were a gift. lol

I use Tesco's "green" fabric bags. They are really good and the handles don't hurt your hands when they're full. Usually need 3 of them though...at least.

As for polly bags I always keep them and reuse them...mind you I hate the damn thin ones they're just hopeless, except to use them again as a bin....

Macwull
26-Mar-08, 22:35
I shop online so rarely use carrier bags, if I can manage it in my arms then i'll usually opt for that, plastic is a severe h8 of mine esp in easter eggs, such a waste. Of the subject a bit but I noticed the council now recycle those tetra cartons you get juice in, thats a positive step!! !!