PDA

View Full Version : Dunnet Forest

saffy100
26-Mar-08, 10:48
Went for a walk yesterday with my nephews, and was disgusted to see the amount of dog mess left behind by walkers......especially next to the areas where there is an activity, where the xylaphone (spelling?) is.

I have dogs but was out without them yesterday, wish people would clean up, the forest it's there for families too....not just dog walkers.

rob16d
26-Mar-08, 10:49
I agree but sadly it's the same story everywhere. Some people are just so lazy nad have the disgusting habit of not picking up dog waste!

I'm not sure if there's any way of enforcing people to pick up their dog's mess?

saffy100
26-Mar-08, 10:53
Its such a shame as its a lovely place, and they have done so much to encourage people there.

Like you say, its the lazy few who spoil it for everone else.

carlominno
26-Mar-08, 13:41
We were there at the weekend and were disgusted at the amount of dog dirt left at the side of the paths. We had two 2 year olds a 4 year old and a couple of older children and all we seemed to say they whole way round was "watch your feet here" and "look out here" - not easy for a 2 year old to understand!

What I found more astonishing though was that one person had picked up after their dog, put it into a bag.................. and then tied the bag to a tree!! Why???

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 14:07
What I found more astonishing though was that one person had picked up after their dog, put it into a bag.................. and then tied the bag to a tree!! Why???

I think the usual answer to that is that they only picked it up in the first place because someone was watching. People like that shouldn't be allowed to keep dogs.
The worst part for me is that these people go there because it is a nice place to walk, but they are too lazy to keep it that way.
Maybe the answer is to let them fill the place with dog muck, then they will stop going there, because it's filthy. When we're sure they've stopped, we'll go in quietly and clean it up and then keep it clean. Hopefully they'll never notice.

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 15:28
I wonder what the longterm effect will be to Dunnet forest as it denied nutrients from animal faeces.:confused Isn't it an ecosystem where all things depend on eachother?

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 15:30
I wonder what the longterm effect will be to Dunnet forest as it denied nutrients from animal faeces.:confused Isn't it an ecosystem where all things depend on eachother?

I would imagine that the nutrients would come from the faeces of herbivores, I can't imagine that pedigree chum and the leftovers of last night's dinner would do the trees much good.

ywindythesecond
26-Mar-08, 20:19
I agree but sadly it's the same story everywhere. Some people are just so lazy nad have the disgusting habit of not picking up dog waste!

I'm not sure if there's any way of enforcing people to pick up their dog's mess?

Allowing your dog to foul a public place is an offence
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/legislation/scotland/acts2003/asp_20030012_en_1

It is pretty hard going but it says this:

(4) In any proceedings for an offence under this section it shall be lawful to convict the accused on the evidence of one witness.

So if you see an owner not cleaning up after the dog, phone 01955 607740. It will take you to the Council Ward Manager and he can put you on to the dog warden who can issue fixed penalty fines, although I understand that the warden needs two people to witness the offence.
Remember, it is not the dog's fault it is the owner who has absolutely no respect for you who is at fault.

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 21:08
It is good to know that there is a handy piece of legislature that covers dog mess for Dunnet. There is just one grey area, I noticed that the act does not cover agricultural land with exemptions in another Act. Since the trust runs wood sales for the upkeep of the wood, would it be classed as forestry land and therefore exempt?:confused

ywindythesecond
26-Mar-08, 23:31
It is good to know that there is a handy piece of legislature that covers dog mess for Dunnet. There is just one grey area, I noticed that the act does not cover agricultural land with exemptions in another Act. Since the trust runs wood sales for the upkeep of the wood, would it be classed as forestry land and therefore exempt?:confused

It covers dog mess all over Scotland, not just Dunnet. Let us know the outcome of your research into the legal niceties.

I know that you are a responsible dog walker in Dunnet Forest, so please spread the good word.
ywy2

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 23:32
no probs, as long as that is all I'm spreading, pheuw...;)

Angel
27-Mar-08, 00:11
there is a tendancy to only pick up one's own dog mess... so whenvere they are of the lead... who knows who's dogs done what!

dunnetforest
27-Mar-08, 10:39
The Directors of Dunnet Forestry Trust are aware of the increasing incidence of dog-fouling in the forest. It had been our intention to have created a dog walk area next to the car park to be open at the same time as the newly surfaced car park but the work was completed early and our winter planting trees arrived late and took priority.

We expect the dog walk to be open sometime next week and there can be no excuses for dog fouling.

Highland Council’s dog warden has also agreed to visit the forest unannounced, and perhaps a prosecution or two will bring it home to irresponsible dog owners that their actions are unacceptable in today’s society.

saffy100
27-Mar-08, 11:34
Thats good news. Maybe even just the dog warden catching these owners in the act will deter.

northener
27-Mar-08, 13:40
It covers dog mess all over Scotland, not just Dunnet. Let us know the outcome of your research into the legal niceties.

ywy2

Places to which Act applies
(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (4), this Act applies to any public open place.
(2) This Act does not apply to agricultural land.
(3) In this Act—

“agricultural land” has the same meaning as in section 86(1) of the Agriculture (Scotland) Act 1948 (c. 45) except that it does not include land not in agricultural use and designated by the Scottish Ministers in pursuance of that section; and
“public open place” means—
(a)
any place which is open to the air to which the public or any section of the public has access, on payment or otherwise, as of right or by virtue of express or implied permission; and

(b)
any common passage, close, court, stair, back green, garden, yard or other similar common area.

So agricultural land isn't covered, but Dunnet forest would be as permission has been granted by the owners for access by the public.

ywindythesecond
27-Mar-08, 14:12
Places to which Act applies
(1) Subject to subsections (2) to (4), this Act applies to any public open place.
(2) This Act does not apply to agricultural land.
(3) In this Act—

“agricultural land” has the same meaning as in section 86(1) of the Agriculture (Scotland) Act 1948 (c. 45) except that it does not include land not in agricultural use and designated by the Scottish Ministers in pursuance of that section; and
“public open place” means—
(a)
any place which is open to the air to which the public or any section of the public has access, on payment or otherwise, as of right or by virtue of express or implied permission; and

(b)
any common passage, close, court, stair, back green, garden, yard or other similar common area.So agricultural land isn't covered, but Dunnet forest would be as permission has been granted by the owners for access by the public.

Thanks for that Northener