PDA

View Full Version : Meiklejohns beyond 1660

david meiklejohn
25-Mar-08, 23:25
Does anyone have any links beyond my 8 x Grandparents - John Meiklejohn and Isabel Burn married in Thurso 25-6-1698?

David Meiklejohn

Bonnie Parker-Duke
04-Apr-08, 02:59
David, what is your secret for getting your Meiklejohns back to the 1600's. Wonderful folks have shared info with me back to John Meiklejohn (b. November 1736) who married Margaret Sinclair but I have not been able to trace either of them back further. What do you recommend in the way of resources? I'm in southwestern Arkansas in the US where resources are few and far between.

I wish I could help you but at this time, I can't. I'm sorry.

Bonnie Parker-Duke

david meiklejohn
05-Apr-08, 15:07
Hi,

I Googled the names William Meiklejohn/Catharine Smith and picked up a link on something like page 15 approx. You don't have to do this as the address that I found was www.raylong.plus.com/monique/d466.html (http://www.raylong.plus.com/monique/d466.html)
This gives you the link back to where I am currently stuck! However when you get to John Meiklejohn/Isabel Burn married 25th June 1698, it might interest you to know that I was in Wick last Thursday and examined the Parish Register and both the librarian and myself believe that the handwritten entry of Bain has been mistaken for Burn. There are a number of descending letters from entries above the one we are interested in and overlapped the Burn/Bain entry which have caused this 'error' (?). Bain is a more popular surname in the area than Burn. This John Meiklejohn b 1660 was from Sordale and his wife from Weydale, the marriage was in Clardan. The witness was a Donald Meiklejohn but it doesn't state if he was his father or brother.
Good luck.

David

Bonnie Parker-Duke
12-Apr-08, 04:55
Thank you so much! I'll give it a try and if I can get my line back that far, I'll join the search! I appreciate your willingness to share!

Bonnie

david meiklejohn
14-Apr-08, 21:24
Hi Bonne,

Have a look, again via Google at 'The family of Lois Willis', and use the name search facility in the bottom left hand corner of the home page.

David

Bonnie Parker-Duke
15-Apr-08, 03:45
Thank you for your generosity, David. I'll do that!!

Bonnie

supergrover
15-Apr-08, 08:25
Hi this is my first post, not sure how to do it.

I am interested in Meiklejohns. My g grandmother was Catherine Meiklejohn McGregor and her mother was Catherine Angus. I have found a possible match to Catherine Angus on ancestor.com and her parents were Donald and Catherine Meiklejohn b 1835, which seemed to indicate where my g grandmother got her name from. As the only paper evidence I have is Catherine Angus being born in Watten, Caithness from her marriage certificate, I can't confirm anything.

I live in Australia.

Can anyone help please?

Debbie

Cactus Flower
16-Apr-08, 17:59
Hi Debbie,

Was your G.G.Grandmother's name, Catherine Angus, her married name or her maiden name? Also, I have Donald Angus (b. 25 Nove 1831) and Catherine Meiklejohn (b. 25 Aug 1835) married 28 Dec 1855. Are these the same people that you are referring to? :confused I have many Angus and Meiklejohns in my tree!

You may contact me privately if you wish.