PDA

View Full Version : Is it really wrong to eat our family?

Julia
25-Mar-08, 23:15
Hypothetically if a family could not afford a funeral and they were all in agreement, would it really be that wrong to have your nearest and dearest (consenting of course) for Sunday lunch, you could probably get a few good meals off an average sized person and what with the price of meat etc.. and less space would be needed for cemeteries.

Some women eat or even share their placenta after birth, is this considered cannibalism, they are in fact eating a bit out of their own body so what's the difference?

lady penelope
25-Mar-08, 23:21
That's just weird. Eating a member of my family, I could not contemplate, even the ones I don't like. What next; oh Doctor package my amputated limb up. My wife will cook it for dinner tomorrow! :eek:

Do you think if someone has died from some horrible disease you would still want to eat them!Yuck, yuck, yuck:eek:

Julia
25-Mar-08, 23:26
I forgot to mention that bit, of course they would have to be disease free. It does not appeal to me personally, twas just a notion that popped into my head. Cannibalism is such an ugly word, yet many species eat their fellows.

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 00:17
twas just a notion that popped into my head.
An echo from a primitive time pehaps. I believe that there are or were some cultures that did involve themselves in eating family members after their death. It symbolised that there spirit lived on after death.

webmannie
26-Mar-08, 00:26
jeezo, i`d better run for the hills if i see my lot licking their lips and winking at me over sunday dinner. I`d keep them going for a week!! (and Bro before you say anything, you`d be next!!)

TBH
26-Mar-08, 00:30
I forgot to mention that bit, of course they would have to be disease free. It does not appeal to me personally, twas just a notion that popped into my head. Cannibalism is such an ugly word, yet many species eat their fellows.And have a load of psychological disorders accocciated with eating their own. Kuru - a spongiform brain disease exhibited by cannibals in the South Pacific in the 1950s shows how deadly it can be.

golach
26-Mar-08, 00:34
this is nothing new

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/myths_legends/scotland/s_sw/index.shtml

mccaugm
26-Mar-08, 00:37
Sorry but having granny for Sunday lunch is a grotesque thought even hypothetically. The alternative thread asking where you would like your ashes scattered was fine but this is horrible.

trix
26-Mar-08, 01:55
Hypothetically if a family could not afford a funeral and they were all in agreement, would it really be that wrong to have your nearest and dearest (consenting of course) for Sunday lunch, you could probably get a few good meals off an average sized person and what with the price of meat etc.. and less space would be needed for cemeteries.

Some women eat or even share their placenta after birth, is this considered cannibalism, they are in fact eating a bit out of their own body so what's the difference?

julia....!!!

what is 'e maiter wi ye?????? :eek:

MadPict
26-Mar-08, 02:02
Whole new meaning for having the family round for dinner....

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-08, 04:56
Damn I wish I was not married.

The kind of women who contemplates this is exactly the kind of woman I need in my life.

Awesome post!

:)

_Ju_
26-Mar-08, 07:52
I forgot to mention that bit, of course they would have to be disease free. It does not appeal to me personally, twas just a notion that popped into my head. Cannibalism is such an ugly word, yet many species eat their fellows.

And many don't.... for a reason. Predators very rarely consume their own species. I can only think of omnivorous animals that will eat their own species.

floyed
26-Mar-08, 08:56
I would never eat any of my family member's, maybe my sister at a push lol:D

I couldn't do it i would rather starve than eat a human.

riggerboy
26-Mar-08, 08:58

you need help,

honey
26-Mar-08, 09:21
jeezo, i`d better run for the hills if i see my lot licking their lips and winking at me over sunday dinner. I`d keep them going for a week!! (and Bro before you say anything, you`d be next!!)

not such a good idea.. have you never seen The Hills have Eyes - :lol:

personally, i dont think i could, but then you see the film Alive which is based on a true story and it makes you think - eat a dead human, or die yourself..

BRIE
26-Mar-08, 09:28
what a horrible thought!! its enough to turn you vegetarian.

Metalattakk
26-Mar-08, 11:46

Webmannie, just the thought of you running for anything brings me over all queasy, never mind scoffin' ye! :D

The Angel Of Death
26-Mar-08, 12:03
not such a good idea.. have you never seen The Hills have Eyes - :lol:

personally, i dont think i could, but then you see the film Alive which is based on a true story and it makes you think - eat a dead human, or die yourself..

Why not you we have no idea of what's the human mind and body is capable of until your put in that situation for example that film alive takes a basis human instinct that's to survive and if that means eating someone who has died then I say fair enough its just a case of making the most of a bad situation I can guarantee that virtually everyone put in a situation like that would do the same

Saying that I'm going to pop off down to the hospital to see if they have any offcuts and all that leg of human severed (pun intended) with full trimmings etc [evil]

Seriously though I think given the right situation then something like cannibalism is acceptable

Tighsonas4
26-Mar-08, 14:03
APPETITE
all i can say would hate to be 40 days in a open boat with you lot [lol]
off for lunch before i go off it lol tony

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-08, 14:21
And many don't.... for a reason. Predators very rarely consume their own species. I can only think of omnivorous animals that will eat their own species.

Just about all the predators have been observed to eat their own species, given the opportunity. Lions do it, crocodiles do it, and all the snakes I can think of do it. Let's do it, let's eat our folks!

justine
26-Mar-08, 14:24
Well i would become vegitarian and thats that.I could not contemplate eating any of my family...Not enough meat on them;)
But as we are not predaters and have nurturing as a main instinct unlike alot of animals, i dare say most would not...
But then you never know...:eek:

mccaugm
26-Mar-08, 14:34
Just about all the predators have been observed to eat their own species, given the opportunity. Lions do it, crocodiles do it, and all the snakes I can think of do it. Let's do it, let's eat our folks!

Why did I read/sing your post to the tune of "Birds do it, Bees do it, even educated fleas do it.....":lol:? Cannot possibly imagine...LOL!

Venture
26-Mar-08, 14:43
Damn I wish I was not married.

The kind of women who contemplates this is exactly the kind of woman I need in my life.

Awesome post!

Maybe BB plans on singing the song to Julia[lol]

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 14:45
Well, if I was stuck anywhere with no food and no sign of rescue, I would certainly be scoffing anyone who stayed still too long.
My family though... probably, if it was my only chance of survival.
Don't think it'll be Aunt June rump steak or leg of Uncle Charlie on the dinner table anytime soon though.

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-08, 14:47
Venture,

I should perhaps disclaim that sentiment immediately.

My other half will not generally eat read meat, whereas I will eat whatever someone puts in front of me these days.

It is probably not, however, a make or break issue!

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-08, 14:50
Hey, maybe this is not such a mental leap.

Who amongst us has never, accidentally or otherwise, nibbled a bit off our partners?

rob16d
26-Mar-08, 14:54
M O R B I D

Julia...I have a hpone number of people who can help you. It will all be OK....!

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 14:58
Hey, maybe this is not such a mental leap.

Who amongst us has never, accidentally or otherwise, nibbled a bit off our partners?

Heheh, Lorena Bobbit?
Oh BB, you owe me a monitor cleaning session for that post!!
I'm awash with coffee! :lol:

The Angel Of Death
26-Mar-08, 15:18
Heheh, Lorena Bobbit?

Lol she chopped not chomped it off

Either way painfull thing to happen regardless of the "how" part

honey
26-Mar-08, 15:38
Why not you we have no idea of what's the human mind and body is capable of until your put in that situation for example that film alive takes a basis human instinct that's to survive and if that means eating someone who has died then I say fair enough its just a case of making the most of a bad situation I can guarantee that virtually everyone put in a situation like that would do the same

Saying that I'm going to pop off down to the hospital to see if they have any offcuts and all that leg of human severed (pun intended) with full trimmings etc [evil]

Seriously though I think given the right situation then something like cannibalism is acceptable

sorry, thats what i meant... my initial reaction, was good god no!!!, but given a situation like that, then you might just not have a choice..

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 15:44
I wouldn't mind anyone eating me when I die or even made into pet food for that matter, it would save a bit on the old carbon emissions and it might earn my family a bob or two if Whiskers wanted to buy my cadaver.

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 15:48

So she did, my memory is terrible!
I have heard stories of people losing said organ in accidental biting incidents in moving cars. :eek:

The Angel Of Death
26-Mar-08, 15:50
Just nasty that is brings me out in a cold chill

How can some one accidentally bite it off arrrrhhhhhh think im going to need a big squirt of mental bleach to get rid of that one

northener
26-Mar-08, 16:12
I've got a few cold cuts in the secret cellar if anyone cares to come over for a meal...........

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 16:15
How can some one accidentally bite it off?

I think it usually involves sudden braking! :eek:

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 16:17
I've got a few cold cuts in the secret cellar if anyone cares to come over for a meal...........

Only if you've got apple sauce...

northener
26-Mar-08, 16:33
Only if you've got apple sauce...

How do you like your sausage?

POUNDIT
26-Mar-08, 16:43
It would be hard to get the whole family to agree anyway.Dont think its right
and because they must be a way of burrying a family member free if no one has got the cash?You would have to be very desperate to think about this.
How would you eat the bones.Surely its not possible to eat the whole being so whats the point in this post?

northener
26-Mar-08, 16:50
and because they must be a way of burrying a family member free if no one has got the cash?You would have to be very desperate to think about this.
How would you eat the bones.Surely its not possible to eat the whole being so whats the point in this post?

You can eat any part of any animal if you are determined and hungry enough.

Eating one's relatives could be viewed as a honour. It could be argued that returning the body of a family member into the bodies of the nearest relatives is to absorb that persons' soul and physical being back to the family.

I could start my own religion!

Also, you can make some very good stock out of human bones.

Ooops....

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 16:52
I can't eat a whole cow either, but that doesn't stop me enjoying steak! :confused

Gleber2
26-Mar-08, 16:53
Overnight, society has collapsed, all government gone, all factories closed and all shops permanently empty. How long do you think it would take for cannibalism to take hold in inner city London?[evil]

scorrie
26-Mar-08, 20:10

"Left attached to my body"

John Wayne Bobbitt 1993 ;)

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 20:12

Wow! I thought the invite was just for dinner?! :lol:

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 20:15
Overnight, society has collapsed, all government gone, all factories closed and all shops permanently empty. How long do you think it would take for cannibalism to take hold in inner city London?[evil]
You mean it hasn't already?

Julia
26-Mar-08, 20:15
Gives a whole new meaning to finger rolls!

silverfox57
26-Mar-08, 20:29
dont want to put down thread ,but to donate your organs after death so that someone else may have life, might be more senslble .

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 20:32
dont want to put down thread ,but to donate your organs after death so that someone else may have life, might be more senslble .
Okay, I'll donate my organs, but my family can have the rump steak ;)

scorrie
26-Mar-08, 20:36
The perfect ingredient for enchancing the flavour of your parent:-

http://www.art2day4u.com/metal_signs/groceries/A663_Daddies_Sauce.jpg

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 21:28
Fastfood made out of puny wee lads could be marketed under as the 'New wimpy burger' ?

Penelope Pitstop
26-Mar-08, 22:10

Did Mrs Bobbit eat it...........??[lol]

Anyway, back to the question.....no way Julia....not much meat on my lot anyway:lol:

Kevin Milkins
26-Mar-08, 22:16
The film Alive that many has mentioned, is that the one about a plane crash with the Rumanion rugby team on board? If it is I thought under those circumstances it showed just what we are capable of doing in the face of adversity.Some people do strange things for other reasons, like the guy on telly a while back that had a taste for road kill, badgers etc. I dont think its even healthy to contemplate such ideas really.

karia
26-Mar-08, 22:37
At first I kidney believe it, didnae have the stomach... then I thought..have a heart, yer a lung time deid.;)

Offal I know!:lol:

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 22:48
At first I kidney believe it, didnae have the stomach... then I thought..have a heart, yer a lung time deid.

Offal I know!
Groan... lol... Groan...
Ooh, by the way, we drove past your neck of the woods the other day and I made everyone in the car wave out the window and shout 'Hi Karia'
Did ya see/hear us? ;)

P.S. My family are well aware that I am mad and they're well used to being asked to do strange things like this :lol:

northener
26-Mar-08, 22:51
At first I kidney believe it, didnae have the stomach... then I thought..have a heart, yer a lung time deid.;)

Offal I know!:lol:

I had a gut feeling you'd respond like this Karia.

Now desist, or I will have to vent my spleen by braining you.

Liver it alone....

justine
26-Mar-08, 23:01
Depending on your religion, it seems is a difference to would you or do you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_(people)
this is the fore tribe of New Guinea who eat their dead relatives....

Whitewater
26-Mar-08, 23:23
Well Julia,or is it Hannibal Lectur (spelling). I must admit that there are several ladies that I would love to eat. mmmmmm!

karia
26-Mar-08, 23:25
Groan... lol... Groan...
Ooh, by the way, we drove past your neck of the woods the other day and I made everyone in the car wave out the window and shout 'Hi Karia'
Did ya see/hear us?

P.S. My family are well aware that I am mad and they're well used to being asked to do strange things like this

Aw babe...thanks!:)

I didnae hear you ... but the earth shook a bit!;)

Hope you went to see the Falkirk Wheel?!

Next time I will show you around...It's a grand sight!

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 23:27
Depending on your religion, it seems is a difference to would you or do you..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fore_(people)
this is the fore tribe of New Guinea who eat their dead relatives....

I agree, aetheists and agnostics tend to be matter o'fact about death. Believers are oh so touchy about it and yet they have the least to worry about cos its 'curtains' for me after I'm gone.[lol]

karia
26-Mar-08, 23:28
I had a gut feeling you'd respond like this Karia.

Now desist, or I will have to vent my spleen by braining you.

Liver it alone....

Muscling in... is in vein Northener!;)

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 23:29
I didnae hear you ... but the earth shook a bit!;)

Hmm... sorry about that... I gave my hubby chilli for dinner the night before ;)

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 23:29
Muscling in... is in vein Northener!;)

having a stew about it or are you gonna put your foot in it again? I'm just relishing the thought...:Razz

karia
26-Mar-08, 23:31
having a stew about it or are you gonna put your foot in it again? I'm just relishing the thought...:Razz

It'll ketchup with you!;)

karia
26-Mar-08, 23:35
Hmm... sorry about that... I gave my hubby chilli for dinner the night before ;)

That explains the new potholes!:D

Rheghead
26-Mar-08, 23:38
It'll ketchup with you!;)

I prefer Daddies, but any parent will do at lunchtime..

Sapphire2803
26-Mar-08, 23:41
Stop it you two, you're getting far too saucy!! :roll:

Julia
03-Apr-08, 17:55
A fellow orger has sent me a wonderful link (http://www.oneplusyou.com/q/v/cannibal_lunch)

Just how many cannibals could YOU feed?

Sapphire2803
03-Apr-08, 17:59
A fellow orger has sent me a wonderful link (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.oneplusyou.com/q/v/cannibal_lunch)

Just how many cannibals could YOU feed?

12 apparently :eek:

Julia
03-Apr-08, 18:10
12 apparently :eek:

Och you must be a wee petite lass, my 7 year old daughter could feed 6!

Sapphire2803
03-Apr-08, 18:21
Och you must be a wee petite lass, my 7 year old daughter could feed 6!
5'10" and I'm not exactly a waif ;)

Boozeburglar
03-Apr-08, 18:47
18 here, and they would all be getting a drink in to the bargain!

Sapphire2803
03-Apr-08, 18:51
Aye, If they'd scoffed me on Friday night I would've been a Sapphire Liqeur, or possibly a pickled Sapphire? :lol:

moureen
03-Apr-08, 19:09
Never thought about this before but NO,NO,NO,could not bear the thought of eating my big, hairy, biker, brother!!! I bet he wouldnt like it either.

Sapphire2803
03-Apr-08, 19:33
Never thought about this before but NO,NO,NO,could not bear the thought of eating my big, hairy, biker, brother!!! I bet he wouldnt like it either.

Probably better to eat him after he's dead then ;) and you might want to think about plucking him too :)

TBH
03-Apr-08, 21:05
20 cannibals.:eek:
But am gonna eat them instead so they better run and hide.

I eat cannibal, feed on animal
Your love is so edible to me, I eat cannibals
I eat cannibal, it's incredible
You bring out the animal in me, I eat cannibals

karia
03-Apr-08, 21:07
I can't get mine to get into the marinade bath!:confused

TBH
03-Apr-08, 21:11
I can't get mine to get into the marinade bath!:confusedMibbye they dinnae want till stay e're o'er night marinating.:lol:

karia
03-Apr-08, 21:59
Mibbye they dinnae want till stay e're o'er night marinating.:lol:

They could leave their ribs to soak.

Congrats on yer 1k..by e way!;)

trix
03-Apr-08, 22:02
am half a 1Kr...or a 0.5Kr as fie aday - so happy.....

an i got ma 5th green box last nite....:cool:

karia
03-Apr-08, 22:09
am half a 1Kr...or a 0.5Kr as fie aday - so happy.....

an i got ma 5th green box last nite....:cool:

I'll put ye down as a late arrival at e BBQ trix.

Tilter
04-Apr-08, 19:39
I seem to remember that when the Ecuadorian (think it was Ecuadorian) football team crashed in the Andes and had to eat their dead to survive, when the survivors got out they were specifically absolved from any wrongdoing by the Pope.

I suppose it depends a lot on how old you are, how much you cling to life, who you'd have to eat etc. You might find it better to die. Who knows?

percy toboggan
04-Apr-08, 19:59
It's a fair question, but my answer is no.
Unless, like those South American rugby players it was chomp on an arm , a leg or a buttock....or face a slow, painful death. Dying of hunger would hurt.

I couldn't face the offal truth...tongue etc....imagine if they'd been a heavy fag addict......or would that just taste smoked?...and picking at a hand, like one does a chicken leg...gruesome. Skin on...or skin orf?

Could you save face...for supper...cheeky.

JAWS
04-Apr-08, 22:11
Eating Long Pig is not unusual even in resonably modern times, especially before the advent of modern fairly reliable transportation. It simply went unmentioned and unquestioned with the "evidence" buried at sea.

If I remember correctly the problem in the 1950s regarding the South Sea Islanders was confined to one group where it was the custom to eat the brains of a dead relative which led to a human equivalent of BSE.

Had cannibalism in general caused such problems the South Sea Islanders would have disappeared long before we Europeans ever knew they existed.
Eating enemies killed in battle was the norm for them as it gave you their strength and bravery. Warriors with completely addled brains tend not to survive very long so if that was the normal consequence the practice would soon have died out, literally.

Having said that, anybody who wishes can have my portion!

Angel
04-Apr-08, 22:58
if the person was a cabbage... should be ok for veggies...

JAWS
04-Apr-08, 23:07
Spot on, Angel, spot on!