PDA

View Full Version : Mutton pies

dellwak
25-Mar-08, 22:18
I can remember when I used to live in Thurso all them years ago that we used buy mutton pies.
Can anyone remember them flat round things with the hard, crunchy pastry, all full of mutton and grease?
I seem to remember leaving the Holburn at about 2 am and getting them from the back door of Budges bakery I think it was. We used to eat them on the way home with the grease running up to our elbows. Just the thing after a belly full of beer.
I have never been able to find them again during my recent visits home.
Doesn't anyone make them any more?

Bobbyian
26-Mar-08, 20:50
I can remember them I can't say if any body makes them but here is a starter recipe that I used till i got a fairly neart copy yummy

Mutton Pies

Hot water crust
8 oz. Flour
2 oz Lard or vegetable fat
2 fl oz milk
2 fl oz water
pinch of salt
1 egg yolk

Filling
12 oz lean Mutton or lamb
6 tablespoons of meatstock, gravy or water
salt and pepper

a variation add chopped onion and or barleygrains

method
Make the filling first. Chop the meat finely and season. Set aside. Set oven to 375 F or mark 5.
Sieve flour and salt into a bowl. Boil the lard,water and milk together in a sausepan.Make a well in the flour and pour in the hot mixture: mix well with a knife and knead until smooth. Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a floured surface, keeping a third for the lids Cut into 6 circles and press into deep patty tins. Spoon the meat into each tin, moistening each filling with a spoonful of stock,gravy,water. Cut the remaing pastry for lids. Brush the edges with water and seal. Make a split in each pie lid to allow steam to escape. Brush with eggyolk cook for 30 – 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.. enjoy :)

dellwak
26-Mar-08, 21:11
Thanks Bobbyian, I will give that a try.
It will no doubt keep me going till I can get back and find the real thing.
Although, as I am sure you know, it is impossible to find mutton in this benighted country. Or can you get mutton up your end of Germany?