PDA

View Full Version : Community websites

cuddlepop
25-Mar-08, 17:04
On the way back to Skye yesterday we decided to take a drive through Dunbarton.We lived most of our lifes on the other side of the Clyde so it was interesting to see what it looked like from there.
Dunbarton rock isnt as big as it appears when your close up and there is a really strange building on the mainland to the right of the rock,its about 4 storey's high and long and narrow in shape.Has a granary look about it.
Decided to look it up when we got home but the community web site will only let locals on.:confused
This has really annoyed us and feel unwelcome now,not a great advert for tourists.

Well how do you feel about "outsiders " loggin into your web site?

Dumbarton in Scotland is where I really wanted to find lol.
Mr Cp didnt spot my error either.

ciderally
25-Mar-08, 17:09
dont think thats very friendly not letting you on the site....
org wouldent be the same without our visitors...

badger
25-Mar-08, 17:24
How strange. Although this forum is mainly local in content, one of the great things about it is the wide membership. Often wish all members would say where they live as it gives an extra something to their posts. If Dunbarton don't welcome visitors, that's their loss.

cuddlepop
25-Mar-08, 17:31
this is what you get.
Calendar Newsletter Bulletins Information Documents

Access to this Accesswebsite is rAestricted to residents of the
Dunbarton Community
LOGIN
USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

http://www.dunbarton.org/images/House%20004.jpg
Welcome to
Dunbarton Community Association
Web Site.
http://www.dunbarton.org/images/dblogo2.gifBut you cant click onto anylink to register,maybe the password comes with your council bill
It also states in the bit above log in.
Access to this website is resticted to residents of the Dunbarton Community but for some strange reason wouldnt copy.

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 17:55
Often wish all members would say where they live as it gives an extra something to their posts.
Mine could do with a boost badger...your wish is my command.:lol:

Moira
25-Mar-08, 17:57
Cuddlepop - do you mean Dumbarton?

I just noticed the Stars & Stripes on the flagpole in the photo, so this would be Dunbarton in the USA maybe?

cuddlepop
25-Mar-08, 18:00
Cuddlepop - do you mean Dumbarton?

I just noticed the Stars & Stripes on the flagpole in the photo, so this would be Dunbarton in the USA maybe?
Well spotted Moira,me and my spelling;)

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 18:08
But isn't Dunbartonshire a county - I seem to recall an 'm' and an 'n' mix up previously.

Please fill me in.

cuddlepop
25-Mar-08, 18:16
But isn't Dunbartonshire a county - I seem to recall an 'm' and an 'n' mix up previously.

Please fill me in.

There is a link to West Dunbartonshire council and East Dunbartonshire council.OH said we wanted West so you are right about the county but I think the area is called Dumbarton.
Cant believe I never spotted the flag.
Comment still stands though,they dont want visitors.:(

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 18:22
often pass through on the eighty two..
dunna linger there's better fish to fry..
Loch Lomond for a brew...
Glencoe for the eye

Might fill the tank
or call at a bank if the
readies are dwindlin' in ma pocket...
after the funny wee roondabout we're off like a rocket.

(poor poem...but accurate)

badger
25-Mar-08, 18:56
Thanks Percy - I might just hold you to that ;) .

Looking at the picture - is this a community website in the same sense as the .org? It looks to me as if it might be one of those gated communities for the rich so very private.

Spelling is confusing. It seems Dumbarton is in Dunbartonshire formally known as Dumbartonshire. I think they're right and that Dunbarton site is in US.

Margaret M.
25-Mar-08, 18:59
Comment still stands though,they dont want visitors.:(

I'm sure a housing community would have no desire to police a public messageboard. The website is probably used to disseminate information pertaining to the housing development to the homeowners.

badger
25-Mar-08, 19:02
I'm sure a housing community would have no desire to police a public messageboard. The website is probably used to disseminate information pertaining to the housing development to the homeowners.

That's exactly what it is Margaret

An ideal active adult enclave in Hometown, USA. The location will keep you close to friends and relations. The setting will surround you with nature and the world-class amenities of Braemar (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.braemarva.com/). At this gated, intimate, active adult enclave, one-level living and superb Dunbarton recreation prove the fun really starts at 55. (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.dunbarton.org/)

Can't find any community website in Dumbarton

EDDIE
25-Mar-08, 19:24
On the way back to Skye yesterday we decided to take a drive through Dunbarton.We lived most of our lifes on the other side of the Clyde so it was interesting to see what it looked like from there.
Dunbarton rock isnt as big as it appears when your close up and there is a really strange building on the mainland to the right of the rock,its about 4 storey's high and long and narrow in shape.Has a granary look about it.
Decided to look it up when we got home but the community web site will only let locals on.:confused
This has really annoyed us and feel unwelcome now,not a great advert for tourists.

Well how do you feel about "outsiders " loggin into your web site?

Dumbarton in Scotland is where I really wanted to find lol.
Mr Cp didnt spot my error either.

Well i think u should email the person who runs that website and tell him what u think but if thats the case were u have to be a local to get access to the website its not a very good idea in terms of promoting the area on the web bit silly u would think the person would want as many people as he can get to use the website.
Im not a local in caithness used to be years ago i just go on this website here to keep upto date with whats going on and caithness.org is a brilliant website were other community website owners can learn from

Venture
25-Mar-08, 19:32
Well spotted Moira. :eek:

gem1982
31-Mar-08, 23:35
Dumbarton Rock may not look that big but try climbing the stairs to it!!! :) its a killer!

There is a Whiskey factory near by to it maybe this is the bulding you are describing it is built out of Red Brick and probably about 4 storeys high