PDA

View Full Version : cold the wind blows!

brandy
12-Nov-05, 12:27
just wondering if everyone survived the wind last night! *laughs* i thought for sure our shed would be flat this morning but it survived it!
how did everyone else fare!
the one problem was i was up til 5 am this morning my 1 1/2 year old would not sleep last night! i think the wind scared him so much that he wouldnt even snuggle in with mummy! ended up downstairs watching bear on DVD!
anyone else have a sleepless night

Moira
12-Nov-05, 13:01
Hi Brandy - I'm not surprised your little one was scared - I was too & even the dog refused to go out late last night so his legs were crossed this morning - lol! Only good thing is that the wind has blasted all the fallen leaves up against the garden walls, which will make them a lot easier to pick up :)

moose and Lindsay
12-Nov-05, 13:30
I couldn't get to sleep i was up til 3, i did get a bit of sleep then i was up again at 6

We had a car windscreen smashed and 4 panes of glass out of the greenhouse on monday night but i haven't been out today to check, but i'm looking out of the window now and everything looks ok

It is easing off now i think, isn't it only meant to last 24hrs??

angela5
12-Nov-05, 13:33
;) sorry folks but i slept like a log..

Tugmistress
12-Nov-05, 13:44
It is easing off now i think, isn't it only meant to last 24hrs??

hi,
yes it's easing off tomorrow for a wee while but then coming back again monday, though not as bad.
May pick up again tonight overnight for a little (Hamnavoe has cancelled tonights sailing).

just for information, last night i recorded the highest gust of 49.8mph in Scrabster (well, above Scrabster really ;) ) and Wick recorded the highest gust at 75mph, so the East of the county got the worst of it.

kas
12-Nov-05, 13:59
hi,
yes it's easing off tomorrow for a wee while but then coming back again monday, though not as bad.
May pick up again tonight overnight for a little (Hamnavoe has cancelled tonights sailing).

just for information, last night i recorded the highest gust of 49.8mph in Scrabster (well, above Scrabster really ;) ) and Wick recorded the highest gust at 75mph, so the East of the county got the worst of it.

Your weather station has recorded 47.6 mph at 12.36. So its gusting here nearly as bad as it was last night, only difference is the direction, its now nw.

My laddie couldnt sleep last night either in his room (its south facing), but when we put him in a north facing room it made a big difference.
Sounds like the Wick side had the worst of it though.

Hope nobody had too much damage.

Tugmistress
12-Nov-05, 14:03
The direction does make a lot of difference, yesterday when southerly it hits the front of our house and 'howls' but now it has gone northerly we can hardly hear it at all :)

if you want to compare Wick and here, the site I use is http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
just hover your mouse over the arrow and the box on the right hand side comes up with all the details :)

porshiepoo
12-Nov-05, 16:38
Well we got it quite bad. we escaped the other night with just minimal damage but last night was worse. It didn't seem as strong as the previous one but did more damage, I assume that the direction makes a difference that way?
We lost the roof to our digger and one of the dog kennels came down letting the brute out. The gate was open but luckily they both came to the house.

sandie
12-Nov-05, 18:11
no affence but we my off had a little wind.
We do not get it as bad as the hurricanes.
If they came then everyone could be screaming i know this was the worst wind we ever had, but if you look back at america they have just had a victoria.
Which is the worst hurricane ever i only think 2 lassies survived so fingers cross we dont get it up here.

brandy
12-Nov-05, 18:24
what are you on about sandy?
what hurricane victoria?
belive me i keep up with american news not heard of it..
and just to set the record straight those winds we had last night WERE hurricane class winds...
i dont know where you are but here i thought the roof would come off !! the windows rattled and shook

sandie
12-Nov-05, 18:29
well i thought it was in america it must have been somewhere else.
yeah i know but i just think it is really sad for ppl to talk about the things we get when some ppl have it worse.
Like ppl i know talk about the war and say it is funny and that but it really upsets me. Just think about the ppl who dies.

Sorry lol i never actually classed last night as a hurricane just thought it was a bit o wind

sandie
12-Nov-05, 18:30
well if it aint called victoria. what is the name off the worst hurricane.
i never seen it on the news or anything i read it in a book.
I know books and magazines lie.

brandy
12-Nov-05, 19:25
hun my mama always had a saying.. there are folks better off than you and folks worse off than you.. you can still talk about what affects your life without feeling guilty about 3rd world countries and peeps in horrible living conditions!
by all means.. help where you can help donate and volunteer where you are able. and def have sympathy and empathy for those less fortunate and suffering.
but do not ridicule others for being concerned for what happens in their community.
if people did not care about their respective communitties and surroundings then we would all be living in a poor place.
thats why those who can generally help those in need.
from what i understand there was a lot of damage last night.
so please dont belittle what happened as a wee bit o wind.
that wee bit o wind we had here last night could have blown a caravan easily away.

sandie
12-Nov-05, 19:45
yeah you are right i am sorry.
it's just i can never not think off it that way i wish i could, if i could i would'nt be working as a volunteer in the red cross.
Iknow it was bad wind but we should just really be lucky it wasnt a worst hurricane and i know people should be worryed.
So are we going to be having one tonight????

Tugmistress
12-Nov-05, 20:05
Sandie,
tonight the wind is easing down slowly, reaching its calmest over tomorrow lunch, then during the afternoon (probably towards tea time) it will pick up again and probably be 20+mph mean speed right through until thursday (getting gusty again like today/last night at times).

sandie
12-Nov-05, 20:09
oh no way
do you think the school children will have to go to school on monday?
Hope not lol

jac1791
12-Nov-05, 21:21
if i can work out how to add a pic to this i will - my mums neighbour had a metal garage which ended up in mums garden last night !!!

Tugmistress
12-Nov-05, 21:24
not sure myself how to add pix,

just gonna try this

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk//components/com_ponygallery/img_pictures/12thnovember20054_20051112_41787395.JPG

ok sorted,
if your pic is up on a hosting site, do something like this
... http://www.whereveryourpicis.com ... (just remember to remove the dots i put in ;) )

SandTiger
12-Nov-05, 21:29
if i can work out how to add a pic to this i will - my mums neighbour had a metal garage which ended up in mums garden last night !!!
You need to ftp or post the piccy somewhere then pu the url in image tags - for example www.mypicture.net/mypicture.jpg

www.tugmistress.co.uk (http://www.tugmistress.co.uk) has a gallery that you can link the post back here to :)

Hope that is all crystal :eek:

Moira
12-Nov-05, 22:00
Nice pic Tugmistress - Brrrr ... now I am convinced winter is really here - what happened to the Autumn then ??

Brandy's original post header reminded me of an old nursery rhyme :-

"The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm
and hide his head under his wing, poor thing."

Quite a sad little poem really but a lot of nursery rhymes are. Might be an idea for a new topic thread here.

Tugmistress
12-Nov-05, 22:13
Hi Moira,
I went out and took about a dozen pics today, but only about 6 or 7 turned out ok as i was being buffeted by the wind! have put them up in my weather pics gallery on my site, the above being one of them :)

Moira
12-Nov-05, 22:41
Hi Tugmistress - went & had a look - I do remember going into your site before to look at the photos of the January storms. Excellent stuff - well done! I particularly like the 'slideshow' feature on the photos. The 'sunset/sunrise' album is amazing! Will add this to my 'favourites' & go back for a longer nosey later. Thank you.

Fran
13-Nov-05, 03:35
Had to drive to inverness at 6am yesterday morning- friday- not very nice,the roads were flooded, it was dark then there was fog for a while. soon after helmsdale it started to get lighter and the journey was easier. at night my shed caved in and bits oif wood had flown around the garden, dont know how im going to fix it. the fence blew down yet the bird table was still upright!!!!!

angela5
14-Nov-05, 00:58
glad the wind has settled down, notice this thread has too! until the next stormy night!.

Chillie
14-Nov-05, 06:04
really windy here to-nite what like the woods pooh

angela5
14-Nov-05, 23:32
:p there a little chillie!!