PDA

View Full Version : Displaying cigarettes could be banned

Countryman
24-Mar-08, 11:39
Displaying cigarettes in shops could be banned under government plans being considered.The measures could effectively force the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products under the counter in convenience shops and supermarkets.

Measures that make it easier to sell nicotine replacement gums and patches are also under consideration.

Is this the way forward, could it work - what next stop supermarkets selling drink - set up special government controlled outlets for drink and tobacco.

Where will it stop.

Rheghead
24-Mar-08, 12:01
If someone is determined to smoke then it matters very little where the cigarettes are displayed so I don't see any problem with the proposal.

DeHaviLand
24-Mar-08, 12:49
Displaying cigarettes in shops could be banned under government plans being considered.The measures could effectively force the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products under the counter in convenience shops and supermarkets.

Measures that make it easier to sell nicotine replacement gums and patches are also under consideration.

Is this the way forward, could it work - what next stop supermarkets selling drink - set up special government controlled outlets for drink and tobacco.

Where will it stop.

Why not? It works perfectly well in Canada, where liquour off sales can only be brought from Government run liquour stores. As for tobacco, if this Labour government wasn't so hypocritical, they'd have banned it altogether, rather than the half-hearted way they've gone about it.

unicorn
24-Mar-08, 13:17
why on earth would they ban it when they make so much revenue from it :roll:

DeHaviLand
24-Mar-08, 13:21
why on earth would they ban it when they make so much revenue from it :roll:

Thats exactly where the hypocrisy comes in.:roll:

Rheghead
24-Mar-08, 13:30
Is it hypocritical to preserve the rights of the individual to choose what they want to do with their own health and yet make it perfectly clear that that is bad for one's health?

Where are the arguements re banophilia?:roll:

ciderally
24-Mar-08, 13:52
over here you have to go to special tobacco shops for your ciggs and baccy....you will get the cig machines in some pubs but thats it...dont stop me ..infact i think i buy more as we stock up just to make sure i dont run out....

TBH
24-Mar-08, 14:45
over here you have to go to special tobacco shops for your ciggs and baccy....you will get the cig machines in some pubs but thats it...dont stop me ..infact i think i buy more as we stock up just to make sure i dont run out....We used to have tobacconists in this country to.

skimeister
24-Mar-08, 14:56
We used to have tobacconists in this country to.

Yup, Pentarc's shop used to be a tobacconists and a sweetie shop. My Dad would get his Gold Block in there and I would hassle him for some liquorice strings. If I remember right, all the tobacco was under glass tops and ciggies were under the counter and it was the jars of sweets on show behind the counter

:confused

percy toboggan
24-Mar-08, 15:06
Out of sight out of mind?

Not with fags....the yearning in your head and the aching void in yer gut tells you you need one when you're hoked! wheher or not you can see them lined up in neat rows behind the counter.

Before you're hooked ....well maybe this is a good idea. As a kid I'd weigh up the different brands, even before I started and ponder which might be the best. GOLD LEAF; PICCADILLY;NUMBER SIX;EMBASSY;WOODBINE;BENSON & HEDGES;GUARDS;PARK DRIVE (Dad's brand); STRAND...ET AL...the brands all had strong corporate identities backed up by t.v. & cinema ads. I remember experimenting as a mid-teenager, and finding GOLD LEAF (Mum's brand)to my taste. The colour and nature of the packaging was as important as the taste to an impressionable kid who wanted to be grown up.

Big vending machines would sit unprotected outside newsagent's and tobbaconist's shop over night with four or five vertical rows of fag packets all on display...available for half a crown for twenty.

If we should be protected from ourselves then this might be a good measure. We've come to a sorry state though then H.M. Government is micro-managing our lives to this extent. I'm open minded about it and look forwrd to reading intelligent contributions to this thread.

I gave up smoking when I was thirty - as I always said I would...foolishly took up the habit (one or two with a drink) in the mid nineties...kicked it finally in 1998 for good. Having had breaks of two, three and then thirteen years!..what's your fag fable?

brandy
24-Mar-08, 15:22
saying that rheg. what about all the second hand smoke?
what about a persons right not to be poisoned?
what about infants and children that have no choice but to smoke along with their parents?
personally, im anti-smoking.
my mum has chronic lung disease from smoking and she still puffs away even though she is suppose to be on oxegen 24/7 now.
i refused to stay with her when we went home as i told her that i would not bring my young children into that enviroment. and that they were not allowed to smoke around them .. (sam has asthma and its the last thing he needs!)
people are not allowed to smoke in my house or in my car, and if im out in public and someone starts smoking i simply move away from them. if we were visiting some one and they started smoking, exspecially if i have the kids with me, i would let them know that the kids are not to be exposed to cigerette smoke and politley leave the room with the kids while their is smoking going on. not a big deal.
i dont care if an idividual chooses to smoke, what one does to their own body is thier own buisness, but when it affects others .. well then its everyones buisness.. so if hiding the fags, reduces smoking im all for it.
anything that cuts down on the want to start is good in my book

karia
24-Mar-08, 15:30
so if hiding the fags, reduces smoking im all for it.
anything that cuts down on the want to start is good in my book

Agree with you there brandy.

However as an ex-smoker for a decade now I find that nipping to the cigarette counter and looking at the prices is an excellent way to cheer myself up!:D

skimeister
24-Mar-08, 15:45
Agree with you there brandy.

However as an ex-smoker for a decade now I find that nipping to the cigarette counter and looking at the prices is an excellent way to cheer myself up!:D

I cant agree more, it also makes me smile when I can look and dont want them anymore :lol:

dunderheed
24-Mar-08, 18:27
sorry to put the dampers on this , but if the person who had started this thread had listened to the full news report , they would have heard that this legislation is being considered for england and wales only.

mccaugm
24-Mar-08, 20:24

Where will it stop.

What a brilliant idea....the less kids are exposed to it the better....yay...first sensible suggestion the government has made since the smoking ban! Hurray for common sense!:D

Tighsonas4
24-Mar-08, 20:45
UNDRE THE COUNTER
sorry i cant post as positively as some. but for kids not to start smoking it
has goot to be good.. only need to read some of the posts here to see how addictive it can be..its the under the counter bit [lol] during the war there was as much sales done under as over??? not fags of course. not biased by any means and goog luck to anyone who can kick the habit regards tony

scorrie
25-Mar-08, 15:19
It is hard to imagine anyone getting away with this 1940's ciggie advert today!!

http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/camel6_40.html

There might be a problem with the claims regarding this one as well.

http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/julep2_40.html

Oh no, Santa's still at it in the 50's, how come his beard isn't brown?

http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/chesterfield5.html

Finally, even the late Rock Hudson gets in on the act. You have to believe him when he says he's tried them all ;)

http://www.chickenhead.com/truth/camel5.html

Changed days indeed. Hiding fags will make no difference in my opinion.

percy toboggan
25-Mar-08, 18:01
"You're never alone with a Strand"
Does anyone remember that one?
It was nonsense of course ..I bought a packet once and still no beggar would talk to me as a youth. I came to think of each fag as a friend...so much so that I'd always leave two in a pack so they'd not be lonely like me.

Advertising has much to answer for....

So has a couple o' glasses o' red on an empty stomach :-)