PDA

View Full Version : Are the EU right in banning our mince?

golach
24-Mar-08, 10:48
Is this just another ridiculous EU interference to our way of life? I love my traditional Mince and Tatties, who cares about the French and their Steak Tartare

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/newsfeed/2008/03/24/mince-butchered-86908-20361215/ (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/newsfeed/2008/03/24/mince-butchered-86908-20361215/)

northener
24-Mar-08, 11:02
Is this just another ridiculous EU interference to our way of life? I love my traditional Mince and Tatties, who cares about the French and their Steak Tartare

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/newsfeed/2008/03/24/mince-butchered-86908-20361215/

Another nail in the coffin, Golach.

Tristan
24-Mar-08, 11:39
Aged beef is the best way to go for flavour (including steak tartare). No doubt the supermarkets will love the changes though. They will be able to justify their non-aged beef and raise prices at the same time.[disgust].

Venture
24-Mar-08, 11:59

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/newsfeed/2008/03/24/mince-butchered-86908-20361215/

We'll just have to get the oldfashioned mincers out of the cupboard and make our own or dash to the shops and buy one before they put the price of that up too.

golach
24-Mar-08, 12:05
We'll just have to get the oldfashioned mincers out of the cupboard and make our own or dash to the shops and buy one before they put the price of that up too.
If it were only that easy Venture, it is the age of our Scottish Beef that the EU are making a fuss about, if they get their way my butcher will not be allowed to hang his carcasses the traditional way, and I will not be able to buy aged beef to even try and make my own mince.

Rheghead
24-Mar-08, 12:05
As far as I see they aren't going to ban beef mince at all, only aged beef. The solution is to keep it in your fridge for a wee while longer and then use it or whatever they do to age the stuff.

The funny thing is, if there was a label on aged beef to say its been ages since the cow was killed then few people would buy it! :)

MadPict
24-Mar-08, 12:23
We'll just have to get the oldfashioned mincers out of the cupboard...

...at which point I fell off my chair...

[lol]

World Scotch pie champion Amos Smith added: "It is stupid meddling and a lot of nonsense.

Why did he pipe up? A Scotch Pie usually contains mutton...

Hmmm, now have a craving for a hot Scotch Pie...

DeHaviLand
24-Mar-08, 12:34

[lol]

Maybe you should read the article again? Then you will see why he "piped up".

Venture
24-Mar-08, 12:36

[lol]

...and why did you fall off you chair?

Venture
24-Mar-08, 12:41
If it were only that easy Venture, it is the age of our Scottish Beef that the EU are making a fuss about, if they get their way my butcher will not be allowed to hang his carcasses the traditional way, and I will not be able to buy aged beef to even try and make my own mince.
You're right golach I only read your heading when I replied and now having read the article I see what its all about. Ah well thats that idea out the window.

percy toboggan
24-Mar-08, 15:21
The European Union should never have been elevated to the position of Governing Britons in our own land.

That they have is due to incautious politicians , but the true blame lies with an apathetic public who have stood idly by (I'm not blameless myself) and seen our sovereignty whittled away bit by bit.

I like France and the FRench ...ambivolent towards modern Germany...admire the Dutch but the rest can go hang for all I care. We have nowt in common with Portuguese & Greeks...where corruption is rife..equally Spain , which might have been a good place to holiday in 1975 but is of no consequence to me now really.

We should be shot of the lot....and golach freed of the EU shackles to enjoy his minced meat once more.

rupert
24-Mar-08, 15:50
As far as I see they aren't going to ban beef mince at all, only aged beef. The solution is to keep it in your fridge for a wee while longer and then use it or whatever they do to age the stuff.

The funny thing is, if there was a label on aged beef to say its been ages since the cow was killed then few people would buy it! :)
There have been many studies done to test the quality of beef after length of hanging and even how it is hung and it has always been shown that aged beef tastes the best. Leaving it in your fridge is not the same, as I'm sure you well know. Most people are fully aware that beef is hung for sometime before being sold, it even says so on many labels which promote the fact it has been hung for 21 days for example. Who is this idiot minister from Europe to dictate how we should eat our beef? I have eaten steak tartare on many occasions, it is delicious, and I would have no hesitation in eating British beef made into steak tartare as well.

MadPict
24-Mar-08, 16:09
How about just banning the French from eating raw mince?

Oh no, that would NEVER happen. Let's just tell les rosbifs they can't have aged mince...

Highland Laddie
24-Mar-08, 17:16
So what if a few French have bellyache

that's what they do best most of the time anyway.:lol:

thebigman
27-Mar-08, 00:08
I'm surprised that anyone still believes what the British / Scottish press write about so called EU proposals.

The new regulations came into force in January and the relevant article is an extension of rules which have been in force for 10 years!

There is still and exemption for mince produced on a butchers own premises for direct sale to their own customers and there is nothing to stop them selling aged beef as mince.

The only ones who are affected, as they have been since then end of the last decade are the industrial butchers who sell wholesale.

Over to you supermarket shoppers.

Rheghead
27-Mar-08, 00:19
How about just banning the French from eating raw mince?

Oh no, that would NEVER happen. Let's just tell les rosbifs they can't have aged mince...

How about just banning the French?. Sarcozy wants better ties with UK, ok then, how about them trying on a slip knot for size?

:roll::roll:

MadPict
27-Mar-08, 01:17
Had to chuckle at the band playing "The British Grenadiers" as they marched the guard of honour past the review dias...

emszxr
27-Mar-08, 08:23
thankfully i dont buy mince, it comes of the hill and we mince it ourselves.