PDA

View Full Version : anyone know?

dandod
24-Mar-08, 00:05
hi does anyone know how much a local plumber will charge to fit 4 new taps?

Mik.M.
24-Mar-08, 11:09
Get a couple of quotes if you can. We had a local tradesman do some work at our house.Had to have some other work done (same trade). Second persons price was much more reasonable. Lesson learned.

DeHaviLand
24-Mar-08, 12:54
hi does anyone know how much a local plumber will charge to fit 4 new taps?

Its an easy enough job to do yourself, for anyone who's reasonably competent. Get down to homebase and buy a tap spanner for a couple of quid and you're laughing.

ywindythesecond
25-Mar-08, 01:09
Its an easy enough job to do yourself, for anyone who's reasonably competent. Get down to homebase and buy a tap spanner for a couple of quid and you're laughing.

Don't you believe it! A couple of years ago, the cold tap in the kitchen started dripping so I confidently said to the present Mrs y2 that I would fix this in a jiffy. Turned off the water, got out my little spanner and tried to turn undo the tap. Wouldn't budge. Got a bigger spanner, same result. Got a mole wrench, guess what! Got a Stilson, same thing. Gave up, went to my neighbour who is versed in mechanical things an built like the proverbial....
To my intense relief, he couldn't shift it either.
So the five minute job took a week to complete, involved the removal of the sink and a new set of taps and required some very ingenious temporary plumbing arrangements in the meantime.
DONT DO IT YOURSELF!!
(ps I have an almost unused tap spanner. £1 to the hospice shop and its yours. I will never use one again!)