PDA

View Full Version : can you help?

angela5
12-Nov-05, 00:20
can someone tell me why some of us have green boxes, others blue and a few have red?? its just under our posts??

Sandra
12-Nov-05, 00:26
If you hover the mouse over the boxes, there are some words that come up, although I have no idea what they mean or where they come from.

I think it might be to do with our 'reputation' as a poster.

twee dledum
12-Nov-05, 00:32
Thanks Sandra, I was wondering too.

angela5
12-Nov-05, 00:36
thanks sandra that was interesting, i was thinking red card was a warning for bad posts, it just letting us know they have had a shameful past tut!tut!

Moira
12-Nov-05, 01:48
Niall explained a bit about this on the "Special" forum in answer to a couple of posts from me:-
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4255&page=2
More on page 3. Very interesting! I've only spotted one "red reputation" on the board so far.

fred
12-Nov-05, 10:40
Niall explained a bit about this on the "Special" forum in answer to a couple of posts from me:-
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4255&page=2
More on page 3. Very interesting! I've only spotted one "red reputation" on the board so far.

Look harder, I have a "red reputation" too.

But I don't mind, it doesen't bother me if the people who run this forum consider me a second class citizen. It doesn't bother me being tried, found guilty and sentenced without even being told what crime I'm supposed to have committed. I don't mind having to wear a badge of disgrace so everyone can see that I'm not to be trusted.

twee dledum
12-Nov-05, 12:27
Thanks Fred, im glad to see someone feels the same way I do.
I have only been on here a couple of days but already seem to have a bit of a reputation. Why, because I am straight to the point instead of posting pages and pages of jargon that no normal person can be bothered to read anyway.
I have been accused of being stupid and ignorant but i can assure you I am neither of these!!
I dont think anyone has the right to call anyone stupid!:( We are all clever on different levels.
Maybe my sense of humor does not appael to certain others but I do not expect it to. It would be a pretty boring world if we all shared the same opinions.
I think we are all entitled to our opinions...... whether others like it or not!

There are cartain people on here who think they are more inteligent than others because of their use of big words. Personally I dont think that calling other people stupid is clever at all.
There is one thing these inteligent people are lacking, something wich I do have and its a bit of common sense!!!!!!!!
Common sense tells me that you shouldn't sit here for ten to fifteen hours a day insulting people who were born and bred in this county.
I am proud of my Caithness accent and wouldn't change it for anything and by the way these inteligent first class citizens act, I am also glad I am one of the second class citizens!

Moira
12-Nov-05, 13:07
Look harder, I have a "red reputation" too.

But I don't mind, it doesen't bother me if the people who run this forum consider me a second class citizen. It doesn't bother me being tried, found guilty and sentenced without even being told what crime I'm supposed to have committed. I don't mind having to wear a badge of disgrace so everyone can see that I'm not to be trusted.

So you have Fred - you must have picked this up over the past week - I am sure your "reputation" was intact the last time I looked :) Never mind - maybe it's better to have had a little shameless behaviour in the past & gained a reputation than to be an "unknown quantity" like me - lol.

fred
12-Nov-05, 13:10
Thanks Fred, im glad to see someone feels the same way I do.

I can't think what I can have done to deserve it, I just speak out against injustice where I see it and try to help people wherever I can, I never expected a kick in the teeth for it.

dpw39
12-Nov-05, 13:37
Bit Orwellian what with coloured boxes, junior/senior members etc, is this a conspiracy theory?

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

angela5
12-Nov-05, 13:40
I can't think what I can have done to deserve it, I just speak out against injustice where I see it and try to help people wherever I can, I never expected a kick in the teeth for it.

fred i also like to speak my mind, voice my opinion, but i am a little confused as to what we can/can't say i have not noticed anything out of place you have said to earn a reputation,, there are a few on here who have been down right cheeky, calling others stupid & thick. i am confused as to why they are on green cards. maybe soon i will be joining you on a red card too! some people can't take others opinions.

twee dledum
12-Nov-05, 13:49
Theres no doubt about that Geezer. Seems you have to be above a certain IQ to post on here. It seems to be ok to be cheeky and horrible to people as long as you choose your words carfully otherwise. But im afraid i'd rather be straight to the point too and its a bit tough if others dont like it.

brokencross
12-Nov-05, 14:32
Hi Fred

On the old message board I goofed big style by putting in things like **$" to create a swear word without actually saying it.
I was barred from the forum for doing this. I was unaware of this using dingbats or symbols rule but upon reading the small print it was there....I had broken the rules.
As it was what I considered a minor infringement and a genuine mistake, I apologised to the moderator, he accepted my apology and my reassurrance it would not happen again and was reinstated.
Fred, think back to what you have "said". If you had been really naughty you would now be "Sent to Coventry" by the moderator. (Maybe you said something in the chatroom).
I am sure it is nothing to do with you being a second class of citizen as been suggested.
Everyone on the forum is entitled to their own opinion, if someone disagrees with a point, someone else can put forward their views, opinions, thoughts etc without being rude to the other people in the forum.

twee dledum
12-Nov-05, 14:44
:eek: I think maybe some people take things a bit too personally.
sometimes its not actually what is said that is the problem it is how it is perceived that causes the friction!

angela5
12-Nov-05, 15:27
people say anything ,but forget about their prayers

Sandra
12-Nov-05, 15:37
The difficulty with online messageboards, is that anything you say can be taken out of context, or taken personally by others. You cannot see the other posters body language or hear their tone, so you cannot see if they are angry, happy, upset or sad, or whether what they are posting is meant as a joke, or if they are being serious.

What one person may see as a hilarious joke, others may see it as unfunny, insensitive or downright sick. There is a time and place for humour, and you have to be very careful where you post your joke.

What one person may see as a personal opinion, others may see as a personal insult!

The whole point of moderated forums is so you can have an informed discussion with others, express your own views and opinions, without being made to feel a fool, without being rude and offensive, and without being threatened or insulted by others. The moderators are there to remove such offensive posts and suspend offending members.

porshiepoo
12-Nov-05, 16:14
Ooops well I got a red square straight away and thought I was the only one, until i noticed the other day that there are a few red squares and one even has about five for the one person. Crumbs that person must have committed an extremely serious boo boo!

You're right about things being taken the wrong way. Alot of my comments have been taken out of the context thay were meant in, maybe thats my fault for not being a bit more sensitive. I will try to learn!!! :)

angela5
13-Nov-05, 23:51
if you find yourself on a thread you find distasteful, simply get back out as quick as you went in, simple.
that would then save pages of people throwing insults, or just butting in to insult. arguing like playground kiddies, its a joke!!!

Niall Fernie
14-Nov-05, 11:09
If you look along the blue bar you will see a small icon like : http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/reputation.gif

Clicking on this icon allows anyone to leave a reputation mark for a post made by any user. If your own reputation is over a certain level your marks can affect the level of another's reputation. If you decide to leave a comment as well, only the user commented on (and the admins) will be able to see it.

The levels of reputation start out the same for all users with the following exception, users who have been on the boards for a very long time and have a high number of posts have slightly higher alteration abilities, ie all users with the basic reputation level can affect another reputation by 1 point. More senior (not in age) users may affect another by 3 or 4 points depending on how senior they are.

So I hope that at least you realise that these marks are nothing to do with how the admins/mods see you, its your fellow users that leave the marks.

I find it very funny that the first to get the blame for being "big brother" is me, perhaps if some people took the time to ask me what a feature was before "telling" me its being used to persecute them a lot of confusion would be saved.

If I, or any other admin/mod ever have a comment to make to a user, it'll be by PM or e-mail.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Nov-05, 11:39
It is not the owners of the forum that gives you your reputation, It is open to use by all the users, To add to someones reputation all you do is click on the Justice scale symbol at the top right of the post you want to rate. You can leave little comments too

Rheghead
14-Nov-05, 13:01
I have given rep to other posters and I also think it good courtesy to ID where that rep is coming from.

Doleve
14-Nov-05, 14:41
Poshiepoo, maybe your 'red' because you dont always agree with 'popular' opinion! (same as fred)haha

spiggie
14-Nov-05, 15:19
I think the boxes are a bit of fun! Can't wait to see my reputation when i get one.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Nov-05, 15:32
I find it very difficult to live through the censorship of profanity on messageboards - it's the most ludicrous of the censorships. I find that it's part of our colloquial language, and that there's nothing sacrilegious or profane about any of it. It's the way we speak.

lassieinfife
14-Nov-05, 18:31
I find it very difficult to live through the censorship of profanity on messageboards - it's the most ludicrous of the censorships. I find that it's part of our colloquial language, and that there's nothing sacrilegious or profane about any of it. It's the way we speak.

may I ask if you were writing a letter to the papers would the same thing apply?or is censorship ok then?

Moira
15-Nov-05, 00:58
Pepsi - are you saying that you would feel more comfortable posting here if you could "pepper" your postings with swear words? Surely not. I've been known to swear, but it's not the way I speak normally. I use more swear words in my head that I ever utter & somehow they don't reach my fingertips when I'm typing out messages here or elsewhere. Maybe I'm missing the point of your post - either that or your normal language is entirely different to mine. In any case I don't think profanity has any place here & I for one am glad to see it censored.

golach
15-Nov-05, 11:43

What is the problem of censorship of profanities? I find no problem with that.
Sorry Pepsi I do not find that ludidrous at all. In fact I personally think that the use of "Profanities" is a sign of a lack of vocabulary, I admit to using them so therefore I admit to having a lack of vocabulary. and I become very embarrased when I have resorted to the use of profanities in certain situations I feel it has shown my lack of understanding of our Mother Tongue. But I don't wish to see any profanities on the boards as, if we did what kind of example would that show to the miriad of visitors that come to this web site?
I dont know about you Pepsi but when in the company of males I can be accused of being a salty owld sailor where every adjective is a swear word, this is not the norm, but on the other hand when in the company of females and children then I don't swear. This is not a concious effort on my part its just the way I was brought up. I will also admit to the odd slip up though I am not an angel and I cannot walk on water.

dpw39
15-Nov-05, 15:42
I still think the coloured boxes is still Owellian, as like a points system leading upto a ban etc however, I do not appreciate the "quirky " little box that pops up and states eg. by clicking on Porshiepoo (no offence) the following message is highlighted "Porshiepoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past".

No if we are going to be moderated, then lets be real about this, how PC are they going to get, and where do you draw the line?...

I'm sure that I read in the rules I think it stated that if any moderator made a decision then the others stood by it, or it was sometime ago, and have the rules changed since the old web version.

I personally feel that the boxes are an infringement of our rights, come on comrades, to the barracades.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave (who still can't work out how to get the smilies in).

dpw39
15-Nov-05, 19:00
I thought I wasn't imagining it, the rules format has changed as the section I mentioned in my previous post was:

Moderation Arguments
In order to prevent arguments over our moderation practices, we have decided that if one of our moderators makes a decision, then everyone else will back it, regardless of the situation. Users should understand that we have a great deal of work to do, other

Has this been incorporated due to the new web desine, or have I missed some of the previous posts on this topic?

But still can't say why I'm not 100% happy with the "coloured boxes" thningmygiggy.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave (smily face)

Rheghead
19-Nov-05, 20:51
Ooops well I got a red square straight away

you are back in the grey now :) I hope you stay that way...