PDA

View Full Version : Faces on Latheron Wall

Jenni
15-May-03, 12:59
Can anyone tell me the history behind the 3 faces on the wall as you approach the junction at the Latheron Post Office (from the Causewaymire direction). I have heard that it is something to do with a farmer who killed his sons and then carved their faces onto the wall as a memorial. I have asked loads of people and no-one has ever heard of it. I have shown the faces to several people but feel a bit daft not being able to tell the story behind it so if anyone can tell me I would be greatful.

Thanks

Jennifer

solastar
17-May-03, 18:25
When i was renovating my cottage in Latheron the builder who we used at the time told me that the faces were carved by his grandfather. Sadly over the years some of the faces have been stolen, I think that only one now remains.

trinkie
30-Jan-05, 16:02
Does anyone have any photographs of the faces

I'd like to see them.
Thanking you
SD

katarina
30-Jan-05, 19:11
Does anyone have any photographs of the faces

I'd like to see them.
Thanking you
SD

So would I. I've never noticed the faces, but then I have very seldom come down that way.

kenimac1
30-Jan-05, 19:30
The faces were done by a man called Dan Lamont who lived in the cottage. He had a lot of grand children living in Wick and Lybster. He was an old retired man 45 years ago and did lots of stonework. His son Willie did the stonework on the cutting on the A9 by Latheronwheel Hotel.