PDA

View Full Version : thorn in paw

ciderally
23-Mar-08, 16:08
hi our little foxie dog has a thorn or splinter in her paw, she wont let me go near her paw and i dont have a mussel...she keeps licking and nibbling at it...do i have to get it out or will she manage herself...help any ideas

binbob
23-Mar-08, 22:03
hi our little foxie dog has a thorn or splinter in her paw, she wont let me go near her paw and i dont have a mussel...she keeps licking and nibbling at it...do i have to get it out or will she manage herself...help any ideas

hi..i think u must get it out..or infection will follow very quickly.
it might be a job for the vet..hope the wee one will feel better soon.

Liz
23-Mar-08, 23:50
Do you have someone who can hold her tightly by the scruff of her neck?

This way you can get to her paw without risk of her biting you. As binbob said you really will need to get the thorn out.
Maybe a trip to the Vets is needed.

The homeopathic remedy Silica is supposed to be good at 'expelling' foreign bodies such as thorns. You would need to give this every 1/4 hr for an hour and then about three times daily.

ciderally
24-Mar-08, 10:43
hi thanks for the advice we tried getting it out yesterday..first time she actually snapped at me so it must be sore...keeping an eye on her today and try again...xx

lady penelope
25-Mar-08, 22:49
You could try a poultice of sugar, hand soap on a piece of white bread in a bandage, this may draw it out enough to get a tweezers to it, it will also help draw the toxins.

A dogs natural antibodies are in their mouths, that is why your dog will just keep licking it.

Savlon cream/ dilute savlon liquid is also safe to use and can be used to swab or bathe the wound.

lady penelope
02-Apr-08, 20:55
How is your dog's paw? Is she on the mend?