PDA

View Full Version : A question for Easter?

Loch not Lock
23-Mar-08, 12:56
I am not being disrespectful to any religeous beliefs but can someone answer me this. If Jesus died for us all why do we have George Bush and the USA? Not forgetting all the tyrants of the last 2000+ years.:confused

golach
23-Mar-08, 13:00
I am not being disrespectful to any religeous beliefs but can someone answer me this. If Jesus died for us all why do we have George Bush and the USA? Not forgetting all the tyrants of the last 2000+ years.:confused
But your being disrespectful to our American .Orgers [disgust] whats your agenda?

karia
23-Mar-08, 13:01

That's a very reasonable question!:)

Sapphire2803
23-Mar-08, 13:06

I don't see the link between the two... The belief is that Jesus died for us, but how would that mean that there should be no USA or George Bush? The theory is that God gave man free will, the point is that you should choose to live a good life, not everybody does. Regardless of what life throws at you, you're supposed to live in the way the bible tells you, according to the commandments etc. If you do that, then you will go to heaven. Job done!

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 13:14
But your being disrespectful to our American .Orgers [disgust] whats your agenda?

I didn't think the Americans liked George Bush either :Razz

Margaret M.
23-Mar-08, 13:40

You can't be serious.

Boozeburglar
23-Mar-08, 14:02
It is a reasonable question, but asking today is pretty crass and insensitive.

Loch not Lock
23-Mar-08, 14:39

Thank you, Karia. Your responses always show that you have given the topic fair thought.:D

MadPict
23-Mar-08, 15:19

No, you're just being disrespectful to all the members of the Org who are American.

Why not ask the same question of Tony Blair and his lying cabinet? And ergo all British?

scorrie
23-Mar-08, 16:33

Let's just close the forum. This nonsense about people having their own views just isn't on. (Insert disgust thingy here)

It is supposed to be a Public forum, why should people recoil from saying what is on their mind simply because it might offend someone? If people are offended, they can reply for themselves. The USA gets plenty of criticism on this forum, it is generally aimed at the government or the Country as a whole, any individuals taking offence must either have a very thin skin or be unaware of some of the heinous activities carried out by those running the Country. No harm in being patriotic, but when it gets to the stage that you turn a blind eye to atrocities I believe there is a major problem. I am British, so should everyone stop criticising all things British in case I find it disrespectful? Orgers work in Tesco so let's bar negative talk about their employer. Perhaps I live in MacArthur Street and find it very distressing to read the negativity regarding the parking in my street. It's getting me right down and now that I know the Prozac is as much use as Smarties, it is high time threads on Parking were banned.

Either open our minds or shut the door.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 16:36
Even better than closing it..

After this post..

NO-ONE POST ANY REPLIES!

THERE

Sorted :)

ett23
23-Mar-08, 16:38

George Bush and all the other tyrants in history were not in God's original plan. And pretty soon he'll be sorting them all out - once and for all!

*holds breath and waits for argument to start* :lol:

scorrie
23-Mar-08, 16:38
It is a reasonable question, but asking today is pretty crass and insensitive.

Freedom of speech should be totally and utterly banned on Holy Days.

Today is the feast of Ramalamadingdong and I will be personally offended and disrespectfully violated in most disgusted crass, bang, wallop 4 icon required, only 3 available, manner if anyone mentions Rocky Sharpe and the Replays today. Tomorrow MAY be OK but on Tuesday feel free to let rip

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 16:39
Even better than closing it..

After this post..

NO-ONE POST ANY REPLIES!

THERE

Sorted :)

Nope, it was just too good to work.. OK let's try again to see if we can abandon this thread with out the need to close it.

DON'T POST ANY MORE REPLIES! :D

scorrie
23-Mar-08, 17:04
Nope, it was just too good to work.. OK let's try again to see if we can abandon this thread with out the need to close it.

DON'T POST ANY MORE REPLIES! :D

What are you playing at? Stop the childish antics.

My own view is that Jesus was simply a man and although he left an enormous legacy, he cannot hope to make the world a perfect place. As long as people have freedom of thinking, they will continue to do their own thing. The only way the world would be "perfect" is if we were all of one mind. I don't think that would be a perfect world perhaps other people think differently.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 17:11
What are you playing at? Stop the childish antics.

My own view is that Jesus was simply a man and although he left an enormous legacy, he cannot hope to make the world a perfect place. As long as people have freedom of thinking, they will continue to do their own thing. The only way the world would be "perfect" is if we were all of one mind. I don't think that would be a perfect world perhaps other people think differently.

Wasn't actually intending on being childish. Just trying to see for once if people could move away from a topic rather than it having to be closed the whole time to stop people replying.

helenwyler
23-Mar-08, 18:00
I am not being disrespectful to any religeous beliefs but can someone answer me this. If Jesus died for us all why do we have George Bush and the USA? Not forgetting all the tyrants of the last 2000+ years.

Woolly thinking. This is a meaningless question, impossible to answer with any sense. Please explain how you equate the sacrificial death of Christ as being implicitly responsible for the existence of any 'tyrants' from Nero, say, to George Bush? That might give a handle to begin your discussion. (I'm not a christian btw.)

But your being disrespectful to our American .Orgers whats your agenda?

So no-one can criticise the most powerful man in the world for fear of offending our American orgers? That sounds patronising to me, and probably so to them. Does anybody who criticises American politics have to have an 'agenda'? Is American politics off-limits here?:confused

That's a very reasonable question!

Thank you, Karia. Your responses always show that you have given the topic fair thought.

Have I missed something? Didn't spot any 'fair thought' in this response.

Suggestions to 'move away from the topic', or 'not reply' evade the issue. It's having a well-thought out question in the first place that would help.

changilass
23-Mar-08, 18:06
The critisism wasn't just for Bush but also the mere existence of America.

Whilst having an opinion on Bush's antics seems reasonable, I think questioning the existence of America and its people is out of order

helenwyler
23-Mar-08, 18:10
Quite. I disregarded the existence of the USA bit.

rfr10
23-Mar-08, 18:15
I think maybe, it probably would be best to just close this thread now as it seems to be heading in the wrong direction.

Rheghead
23-Mar-08, 18:42
The theory is that God gave man free will, the point is that you should choose to live a good life, not everybody does. Regardless of what life throws at you, you're supposed to live in the way the bible tells you, according to the commandments etc.

How can we have freewill if the religious doctrine dominates our thoughts from the early years? Aren't the religions acting against God's will in that case?:confused

scotsboy
23-Mar-08, 19:09

Jesus died for our sins, we are all sinners. I think you are confusing the fact that you have to live a good life, compared to what you think you should be living. The fact the George Bush et all are a pain in your life, imagine how hunger and famine are a real pain to many in Africa, how the Chinese are a thorn in the Tibetans sides and how it must be really cack being a Keltic supporter at the moment;)

ŠAmethyst
23-Mar-08, 19:27
How can we have freewill if the religious doctrine dominates our thoughts from the early years? Aren't the religions acting against God's will in that case?:confused

I don't know which doctrine you are talking about although personally I disagree with you, I am afraid.

We can choose NOT to live by whatever a religion suggests. No one's holding a gun to your head and saying, "do this or else".

Muslims may choose not to follow the Koran, Christians may choose not to follow the Bible.

Me? I chose to pick and chose which parts of the bible that I followed. But still I tried to be a good person. Still, though, I consider myself a Christian.

Also - another issue being discussed, questioning the existence of the USA... not the cleverest thing to be doing considering there are still countries out there whose people are living in fear and leaders are harbouring wanted criminals.

Yet at the same time, it's like questioning our own country. And we don't know all the facts. Maybe George W Bush is genuinely as stupid as some say he is, or maybe it's his advisors that help him come to certain decisions that make you percieve him as a bad guy.

Just a thought.

Rheghead
23-Mar-08, 19:42
I don't know which doctrine you are talking about although personally I disagree with you, I am afraid.

We can choose NOT to live by whatever a religion suggests. No one's holding a gun to your head and saying, "do this or else".

Muslims may choose not to follow the Koran, Christians may choose not to follow the Bible.

You've scootered around the fact that if religionists had their way then they would hold a gun at your head until you believe in the rubbish they spout.

It is only with past political struggles of secularism v theorism that you now have the liberty to do what you want.
So you never really addressed the freewill bit at all.

karia
23-Mar-08, 19:44

As did I.....I don't think that was what was meant by the OP and it would be a pedantic attachment to semantics to read it that way.

Condemning the existence of an entire nation would not have proved conducive to his point...c'monn!:roll:

ŠAmethyst
23-Mar-08, 19:51
You've scootered around the fact that if religionists had their way then they would hold a gun at your head until you believe in the rubbish they spout.

Ok... You got me all wrong. Nobody wishes to hold a gun to your head to make you consider believing a certain thing. This is utter tosh and I will no longer participate.

That is my choice as freewill allows. Goodnight to you :p

changilass
23-Mar-08, 20:06
:Razz
As did I.....I don't think that was what was meant by the OP and it would be a pedantic attachment to semantics to read it that way.

Condemning the existence of an entire nation would not have proved conducive to his point...c'monn!:roll:

Pedantics semantics

Had the op not meant that, then why not just say Bush why say (and I quote)

"If Jesus died for us all why do we have George Bush and the USA?"

The bold bitty is mine lol

karia
23-Mar-08, 20:22

Pedantics semantics

Had the op not meant that, then why not just say Bush why say (and I quote)

"If Jesus died for us all why do we have George Bush and the USA?"

The bold bitty is mine lol

Fair question Changi..why not ask him?

When L N L made his opening post he seemed to me to be questioning politicians (tyrants etc.!) not us impotent citizens nor the existence of a nation as a whole.

It's aye nice tae hae a bitty o' bold.;)

Kariax

golach
23-Mar-08, 20:59
That was my point, loch not lock's slur on my American friends

Loch not Lock
23-Mar-08, 21:07
Ever since I was a teenager in the 60's I have held the USA's political intentions as deeply suspicious. The past 50 years has only made my fear of them grow as they seem to invade countries which have nothing to do with them and they then describe it as "war". Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Columbia etc. etc. have suffered millions of illegal murders under America's jackboot. What makes things worse is that Britain goes blindly hand in hand with them.
Another point against the USA is that their "culture", I use that word with distaste, is spreading Worldwide and is responsible for so much that is undesirable in society. For example the vast majority of films on general release are crap from Hollywood with the most of them displaying pointless violence. It is plain this trend is growing throughout Britain with the gun and knife culture regarded as "cool".
Middle-aged and old men walking about with baseball caps make me sick. If they were about to have a game it would be perfeclty acceptable but in a supermarket.........Enough said!:lol:

changilass
23-Mar-08, 21:13
Your opening post was very thinly veiled anti America

Your (hopefully) closing post makes it so much clearer [disgust]

Loch not Lock
23-Mar-08, 21:25
As individuals I have nothing against Americans in general. It is their domineering government which infuriates me. When they had the base at Forss I made friends with quite a few of them and still get a couple of cards every Christmas. I even went to the Cheltenham Festival with a group of them in 1972 and had a great time.

MadPict
23-Mar-08, 21:39
...millions of illegal murders under America's jackboot.

Jackboot? This implies that you equate the US with Nazi Germany?...

...Middle-aged and old men walking about with baseball caps make me sick. If they were about to have a game it would be perfeclty acceptable but in a supermarket.........Enough said!:lol:

Actually this item of headwear is a British 'invention'. It is believed to be based on the original cricket cap which in itself is based on European military kepis.
And if you look back in UK history men have worn hats - just look at the early part of the 1900's. They have just replaced the Trilby with the ball cap.

Sure it is associated with baseball and with US culture but they merely adapted an existing item of headwear...

Rheghead
23-Mar-08, 21:42
Jackboot? This implies that you equate the US with Nazi Germany?....

I would agree that this is unfair, I shudder to think that the leading democracy would be guilty of ethnic cleansing or murdering and displacing millions of people. :roll:

Sapphire2803
23-Mar-08, 21:49
How can we have freewill if the religious doctrine dominates our thoughts from the early years? Aren't the religions acting against God's will in that case?

Yes, you're absolutely correct. I would say that a simplified view of it would be that God said "You can do what you choose, but the right thing is to follow me"
Then various religions were formed. Each claimed to be the right one and gained majority in different geographical areas.
Then the worst bit. Politics and religion were combined :(
Laws were made which decided the religion of certain countries. If you disagreed with the beliefs of the religion of choice in your area, you were breaking the law. If you did not worship in the manner required, you were breaking the law.

Man will always have freewill though, you can stop him exercising it in public, but that doesn't mean he won't pray in his own way, according to his own beliefs in private.
If God is all seeing etc. Then he wouldn't be fooled by people just saying they believe, so freewill would win in the end. :)

Blast!
23-Mar-08, 21:58
Another point against the USA is that their "culture", I use that word with distaste, is spreading Worldwide and is responsible for so much that is undesirable in society. For example the vast majority of films on general release are crap from Hollywood with the most of them displaying pointless violence. It is plain this trend is growing throughout Britain with the gun and knife culture regarded as "cool".
Middle-aged and old men walking about with baseball caps make me sick. If they were about to have a game it would be perfeclty acceptable but in a supermarket.........Enough said!:lol:

You made some absolutely ridiculous statements in that post. Those films may be crap to you but as the movie going public show, most people enjoy them.

How can you possible blame gun and knife culture in this country on America? You have no basis to back that up. And IN MY OPINION I don't think knife culture is seen as cool, I think some youths see it is a necessity - perhaps the idea that 'I will stab them before they stab me'. Speak to people that carry knives gives me this impression. It is a sad, sad state of affairs then youths feel they need to carry knives but it is pretty worrying if you think that America is the source of the problem!

And what is wrong with older folk wearing baseball caps? Perhaps they are wear the cap of their local baseball, football or basketball team? Now tell me this: what is wrong with having some pride in your local town? Eh? If someone wants to wear a baseball cap then so be. It's an American thing that isn't prominent over here. Why would something to minuscule make you sick? I think there's plenty more going on in the world that should make you sick than a grown man wearing a baseball cap!

MadPict
23-Mar-08, 22:36
I hope that Loch Not Lock is not wearing a baseball cap (backwards) as he/she sits in front of his/her computer (US made? containing US components?) sending messages over the internet (developed in the US although designed by a Brit) while drinking a Coke or Pepsi...

Loch not Lock
23-Mar-08, 23:24
I hope that Loch Not Lock is not wearing a baseball cap (backwards) as he/she sits in front of his/her computer (US made? containing US components?) sending messages over the internet (developed in the US although designed by a Brit) while drinking a Coke or Pepsi...

Sorry, Mad Pict, I thought it was OK to wear it back to front. Taken it off now and put a Caithness sticker over Seattle Seahawks. Is that acceptable?;)

golach
24-Mar-08, 00:49
I even went to the Cheltenham Festival with a group of them in 1972 and had a great time.
IMO, this is one of the most patronising posts I have ever seen [disgust]

Anne x
24-Mar-08, 01:07
For goodness sake Its Easter !!!
I watched and listened to the the Service from Liverpool Cathedral today on the beeb and no I do not belong to that demoniation and really enjoyed it
Politics & Religion will reign long after our time there will always be that friction as history has shown in the past and present day and I am quite sure in the future as will wars
As I said before each to there own and Belief is a private matter

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 01:41
Wasn't actually intending on being childish. Just trying to see for once if people could move away from a topic rather than it having to be closed the whole time to stop people replying.

I don't accept that. Topics are topics. The day we try to pretend they are not there is a poor day for freedom. Get a hold of yourself.

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 01:45
Jesus died for our sins, we are all sinners. I think you are confusing the fact that you have to live a good life, compared to what you think you should be living. The fact the George Bush et all are a pain in your life, imagine how hunger and famine are a real pain to many in Africa, how the Chinese are a thorn in the Tibetans sides and how it must be really cack being a Keltic supporter at the moment;)

Piss poor ending Scotsboy. It is childish and I am disappointed to see someone with reasonable intelligence resorting to the usual fartwit mentality regarding football. I must suggest growing up as your priority. Crap post!!

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 01:47
That was my point, loch not lock's slur on my American friends

Grow up Golach, you sound like the boy scouts. See the bigger picture for once in your life. This is not YOUR board!!

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 02:02
For goodness sake Its Easter !!!

Only for some people. Understand that and you will understand the world better.

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 02:13
Ok... You got me all wrong. Nobody wishes to hold a gun to your head to make you consider believing a certain thing. This is utter tosh and I will no longer participate.

That is my choice as freewill allows. Goodnight to you :p

Oh yes, you sneak a negative rep in on me, without replying to my post and then chicken out. Childishness personified.

Boozeburglar
24-Mar-08, 02:20
Are you just trying to boost yer post count ragged seagull?

:)

Boozeburglar
24-Mar-08, 02:22
Long may the young be young!

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 02:26
Are you just trying to boost yer post count ragged seagull?

No need boozy. I am way ahead of you on posts and rep. Most probably that is because I do my own fighting and don't rely on mouthpieces coming in on my behalf. Rather than having a sappy George Galloway infatuation, I concentrate on my own ability. One day you might aspire to pushing yourself to fore, rather than relying on a gay icon to do it for you. If I don't receive a reply, I will know you are waiting for Pretty George to answer your priority email.

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 02:38
Aw, negative rep from Boozeburglar!! Happy Easter Dude, I manage to get it all said here, while you feel the need to crawl under a snake whilst wearing a Top Hat and press the "Baby is upset button".

Aw diddums. My heart goes out to you this Easter and next, whenever that movable feast may occur. Knowing that you resorted to negative rep tells me that I am way superior to you in intellect. Dream on amateur ye ken NOWT!!

Boozeburglar
24-Mar-08, 03:30
Hey seeing as you worked in a bookies all that time, I thought your arithmetic would be slightly superior to the average incoherent's.

1782/11 = Positive feedback every 162 posts.

759/6 = Positive feedback every 127 posts, and I am rounding that up in YOUR favour.

I do my own fighting and don't rely on mouthpieces coming in on my behalf. One day you might aspire to pushing yourself to fore, rather than relying on a gay icon to do it for you.

Confusing.

Who am I relying on again?

What gay icon am I supposed to be relying on, enlighten me?

Margaret M.
24-Mar-08, 04:27
Your opening post was very thinly veiled anti America

Your (hopefully) closing post makes it so much clearer [disgust]

Yes, assumptions are no longer required.

[COLOR=blue]Woolly thinking. This is a meaningless question, impossible to answer with any sense.

That's how I read it.

scotsboy
24-Mar-08, 04:39
Piss poor ending Scotsboy. It is childish and I am disappointed to see someone with reasonable intelligence resorting to the usual fartwit mentality regarding football. I must suggest growing up as your priority. Crap post!!

I like to go fishing at Easter:)

Loch not Lock
24-Mar-08, 14:38
Why can't individuals, nations, religeons all live in harmony irrespective of race or any other reason.
That is why I am so anti the American government who are the worst at creating war - This does not mean I am condoning China, Israel, Britain and countless other culprits.:~(

balto
24-Mar-08, 15:19
can anyone answer me this if easter is a religious holiday why on earth can they move it from one month to the next, because i am pretty sure jesus died the once, so why cant we have it like christmas , the same time each year, my daughter was born on easter sunday 23rd april 2000 now we have had easter a whole monh early i for one am confused, so can someone out there answer my question please

Anne x
24-Mar-08, 15:41
Easter has not been this early since 1913 the date has something to do with the Equinox I think !!
google it Im sure you will get a better answer

helenwyler
24-Mar-08, 15:56
Long may the young be young!

Would you care to enlighten us as to what youthful embodiment this refers to? Youth is marvellous, especially when accompanied by intelligence.

It's certainly not the OP you are referring to, who must be well into his/her sixties...from the information in the posts, anyway.

can anyone answer me this if easter is a religious holiday why on earth can they move it from one month to the next, because i am pretty sure jesus died the once, so why cant we have it like christmas , the same time each year, my daughter was born on easter sunday 23rd april 2000 now we have had easter a whole monh early i for one am confused, so can someone out there answer my question please

Easter is a moveable feast balto. See below, pasted from Wiki.

Easter is termed a moveable feast (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moveable_feast) because it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_calendar). Easter falls at some point between late March (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March) and late April (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April) each year (early April (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April) to early May (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May) in Eastern Christianity (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Christianity)), following the cycle of the moon. After several centuries of disagreement, all churches accepted the computation of the Alexandrian Church (now the Coptic Church (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_Church)) that Easter is the first Sunday after the first fourteenth day of the moon (the Paschal Full Moon (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschal_Full_Moon)) that is on or after the ecclesiastical vernal equinox (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox).

I regret the negative reps resulting from from this thread. Negative reps are the resort of the impotent and the cowardly. If some posters are so incensed at a post they disagree with, do have the courage to explain clearly why in public...furtive bad repping is like pinching somebody in primary school while the teacher's not looking.:confused

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 16:13
Hey seeing as you worked in a bookies all that time, I thought your arithmetic would be slightly superior to the average incoherent's.

1782/11 = Positive feedback every 162 posts.

759/6 = Positive feedback every 127 posts, and I am rounding that up in YOUR favour.

Confusing.

Who am I relying on again?

What gay icon am I supposed to be relying on, enlighten me?

Your arithmetic would be correct if all green squares were equal. I am pretty sure that this is not the case though. I thought that you got one for every hundred points accumulated, that is not the case though and I think that they get harder to get as the points get higher. In any case, YOU have pulled MY score down, whereas I have not tarnished YOURS. Any perceived superiority on your part, based on the average, has partly been achieved by skullduggerous means. I cannot RESPECT that, (second part answered)

justine
24-Mar-08, 16:24
well i am not religious, and the fact the god sent his only son down to die, and now they celebrate the death by giving commercialised chocolate eggs, then i have to say its all garbage, But, then i do let my children have eggs as it is their choise whether they want to believe what happened..I dont tell them about the jesus story just more about the bunny tale, easier to digest....

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 16:27
I like to go fishing at Easter:)

I have received an infraction for bad language and insulting another member. Therefore, I apologise for both events.

I don't think I am the only person to have used the three words in question on this forum and I assume that everyone else who has used them has also been "infracted"

I am fairly sure that the "banter" you used, concerning the Old Firm, was part of the reason that football became a banned topic on the Org. My point was to question why supposedly banned material is still being allowed. Either football should be allowed or not. It was quite clear that certain people could not talk about football in an adult manner. Name calling and a "Get it right up yee" attitude was always inevitable, even references to bestiality surfaced on occasion. I consider that type of thing to be childish and am not changing my mind on that front. I do accept however that I should have kept the post more objective. I generally like your posts, I have left good rep for you on occasions and so I was disappointed to see a cheap shot on a supposedly banned topic. I am big enough to admit I was wrong in wandering off the post and onto the person. Nobody is perfect and I apologise once again for my error of judgement.

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 16:49
well i am not religious, and the fact the god sent his only son down to die, and now they celebrate the death by giving commercialised chocolate eggs, then i have to say its all garbage, But, then i do let my children have eggs as it is their choise whether they want to believe what happened..I dont tell them about the jesus story just more about the bunny tale, easier to digest....

I suspect that, for many people, Easter is more about the chance of a few days off, a good feed and perhaps the most over-packaged product in History, The Easter Egg.

Some years ago there was a quiz show where contestants had to guess the top answers to questions put to members of the public in a survey. One of the questions was "Name something you associate with Easter?"

Eggs, bunnies, bonnets and Bank Holidays filled the top four places, Jesus was only fifth. For me, that was a savage indictment of what Easter has become. I therefore find it wrong that I should have to withhold my opinion because of what day of the year it happens to be. If people have true faith in God, it is not going to make any difference to them if I fail to share their feelings.

What I read into the original question was that Jesus was supposed to have died for our sins but, yet, we are no better than we ever were, as a species, some 2000 years on. It is pretty hard to argue with that observation.

justine
24-Mar-08, 17:00
I suspect that, for many people, Easter is more about the chance of a few days off, a good feed and perhaps the most over-packaged product in History, The Easter Egg.

Some years ago there was a quiz show where contestants had to guess the top answers to questions put to members of the public in a survey. One of the questions was "Name something you associate with Easter?"

Eggs, bunnies, bonnets and Bank Holidays filled the top four places, Jesus was only fifth. For me, that was a savage indictment of what Easter has become. I therefore find it wrong that I should have to withhold my opinion because of what day of the year it happens to be. If people have true faith in God, it is not going to make any difference to them if I fail to share their feelings.

What I read into the original question was that Jesus was supposed to have died for our sins but, yet, we are no better than we ever were, as a species, some 2000 years on. It is pretty hard to argue with that observation.

Getting no argument off me.....

I was reading a religious book my daughter brought home forom school and one passage that got me as hypocritical I will show you and tell me if it sums things up....
These are questions that she is supposed to answer, i have told her to speak to her teacher as my answers would not help her..

Q1..What qualities of God are like those of a father...

Q4.."Everyone has the right to life" write from a religious perspective justifying this statement....

Now as it says in the blessed book, god sent his only son to earth to die,, now how many fathers would do that....

I have no time for religion but that is only my view....Each to their own....

Boozeburglar
24-Mar-08, 17:13
No need boozy. I am way ahead of you on posts and rep. Most probably that is because I do my own fighting and don't rely on mouthpieces coming in on my behalf.

Any perceived superiority on your part, based on the average, has partly been achieved by skullduggerous means. I cannot RESPECT that, (second part answered)

I think it is obvious that you are the one who sees rep as some measure of superiority.

My take on rep...

It is a message board, GET OVER IT!

MadPict
24-Mar-08, 17:17
Easter eggs are ova priced and ova rated - I much prefer a good solid bar of Fruit and Nut to some thin hollow shell with a few token sweeties stuffed inside.

rob16d
24-Mar-08, 18:08
What is everybody's view on Easter?

Do you preach on about "the true meaning of Easter"?

Or do you just enjoy the chocolate! :lol:

I, personally, do not believe in any religions...so therefore.....Easter is basically chocolate day!

justine
24-Mar-08, 19:06
What is everybody's view on Easter?

Do you preach on about "the true meaning of Easter"?

Or do you just enjoy the chocolate! :lol:

I, personally, do not believe in any religions...so therefore.....Easter is basically chocolate day!

Welcome back...
The kids like the chocolate, im not to keen on it...Not religious either.....

scorrie
24-Mar-08, 19:32
My take on rep...

It is a message board, GET OVER IT!

That does not tie in with the fact that you left negative rep for me. If it is simply a message board and we should "GET OVER IT", why couldn't you just "GET OVER" my comment? You just couldn't leave those meaningless little scales alone eh? ;)

helenwyler
24-Mar-08, 19:51
That does not tie in with the fact that you left negative rep for me. If it is simply a message board and we should "GET OVER IT", why couldn't you just "GET OVER" my comment? You just couldn't leave those meaningless little scales alone eh? ;)

Ditto. I got one too. At least I'm in good company;).

Boozeburglar
25-Mar-08, 16:43
Negative reps are the resort of the impotent and the cowardly. If some posters are so incensed at a post they disagree with, do have the courage to explain clearly why in public...furtive bad repping is like pinching somebody in primary school while the teacher's not looking.:confused

I repped this post as I think it is wholly wrong to suggest those that use the rep system within the rules and as they wish are somehow unable to argue their case or are scared to enter debate. You only need to do some reading to find out how well some can argue their case. Sometimes one does not wish to enter into a lengthy discourse with another they suspect will be unable to maintain a non-personal disposition.

Repping seemed the appropriate response, ironically, as I wish to join the ranks of those you would dismiss as cowardly and impotent in order to argue (or not as the case actually is) from that point of view.

You are suggesting using the system in a way that is allowed but you do not like is somehow underhand. I say get stuck in everyone, if there is a rep system use it, and if you want a row of lights under your name make thoughtful and incisive posts.

Were we never to negative rep, the rep system would serve no more purpose than to indicate the length of one's membership and number of contributions on the board. As such it is meaningless.

If we use the system to indicate where we think a post is rubbish or pointless, etc. rep would actually mean something.

I wish they would change it to a rating system, so you could give 1-10.

MadPict
25-Mar-08, 17:00
BB, I note that you have disabled your reps...

Boozeburglar
25-Mar-08, 17:03
...and?

MadPict
25-Mar-08, 17:23
Just found it of interest that you should be discussing the merits or otherwise of repping and you have yours disabled.

Boozeburglar
25-Mar-08, 17:40
Don't you?

Does this mean you should not be debating this?

MadPict
25-Mar-08, 19:49
I do indeedy I do - but I'm not the one giving or receiving bad reps.

By all means carry on - fill your boots, rep both good and bad, I won't be giving bad reps. Don't particulary like the rep system (on ANY forum) as it causes arguments and endless bitching between members who like to give but can't take it...

Boozeburglar
25-Mar-08, 22:29
I think I explained my reasoning pretty well.

As I said, I don't think the rep system means anything if you ONLY give positive rep.

Let us just say I gave some rep in ironic counterpoint.

I could care less.

Turned mine off because I was fed up looking at it waiting for it to go up, lol!

Loch not Lock
25-Mar-08, 23:33
Please excuse my ignorance but could someone please explain to me what "rep" means as discussed in the last few posts and how does one use it? Thank you.:confused

Moira
25-Mar-08, 23:49
Loch not Lock, click on the User CP (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/usercp.php) option in the blue bar at the top of your screen here.

It has nothing to do with Easter - you can give and receive "Rep" all year round here.

You can give "Rep" by clicking on the http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/reputation.php?p=364454) icon at the top right hand side of the post you are viewing

Loch not Lock
26-Mar-08, 09:05
Loch not Lock, click on the User CP (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/usercp.php) option in the blue bar at the top of your screen here.

It has nothing to do with Easter - you can give and receive "Rep" all year round here.

You can give "Rep" by clicking on the http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/reputation.php?p=364454) icon at the top right hand side of the post you are viewing

Thank you, Moira, that clarifies things.:)

scorrie
26-Mar-08, 16:48
Were we never to negative rep, the rep system would serve no more purpose than to indicate the length of one's membership and number of contributions on the board. As such it is meaningless.

This is not true. The rep system has nothing to do with the length of membership or the number of contributions. It is based on reputation left for you by other members of the forum. As your rep builds up it determines the amount of rep points you leave for others when YOU are repping. People can have their rep built up by positive comments or remain static if their posts are not picked out as being special enough for praise. That works well enough in making the system meaningful (In the limited capacity that it can be deemed meaningful) and negative comments are not necessary in establishing a scale of reputation.

Simply because a system has options available it does not mean that they have to be used. There is such a thing as forum etiquette and I personally consider it bad etiquette to click a button, rather than to make an open post instead. People may not feel like making a long reply but it does not take long to enter a brief explanation of your opinion. What is particularly annoying for me is when someone makes no contribution whatsoever to the thread and they then leave a negative rep about MY contribution. That is hardly the way to encourage involvement and debate. The board should be about people taking part and sharing opinions, agreeing or disagreeing and putting their opinions forward. Clicking an icon and leaving a snide remark or two is the equivalent of standing up at a public meeting and simply shouting "Bollocks" before sitting down again.

You may try to dress up your use of the rep system as:-

"Let us just say I gave some rep in ironic counterpoint"

However, I know that the words left, and I quote:-

"suck it up guano machine"

tell the truth of the matter.

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-08, 19:09
pinching somebody in primary school while the teacher's not looking.

standing up at a public meeting and simply shouting "Bollocks" before sitting down again.

Two analogies for bad repping given in this thread.

Two actions I find wholly admirable.

Each to his own, aye, dude?

Clicking an icon and leaving a snide remark or two

"suck it up guano machine"

Guano Machine.

Well, your nick is Scorrie, right?

They are most certainly guano machines, I remember the Onedin Line!

Very useful stuff it is too, most valuable!

Suck it up is a common enough expression

Neither snide nor offensive, and used in reference to you reaction to negative rep from Amethyst.

I negative repped you because I think you got way too dismissive, personal and, most unforgivably, unimaginative in a repetitive slew of posts...

Stop the childish antics.

Get a hold of yourself.

I must suggest growing up as your priority. Crap post!!

Grow up... See the bigger picture for once in your life.

Childishness personified.

I believe within the rules of the forum I was entitled.

People can have their rep built up by positive comments or remain static if their posts are not picked out as being special enough for praise. That works well enough in making the system meaningful (In the limited capacity that it can be deemed meaningful) and negative comments are not necessary in establishing a scale of reputation.

You are trying to say that when someone makes repeated posts dismissing other posts, using much the same unimaginative line of attack in each case, where the attack is made largely against the poster and with little real argument, they are not a justified recipient of a negative rep?

I obviously do no concur.

Were negative repping considered to be against this forum's etiquette, I am certain the able minded admin would have disabled the option.

Take it up with them, I suggest, if you disagree.

Knowing that you resorted to negative rep tells me that I am way superior to you in intellect. Dream on amateur ye ken NOWT!!

That is hilarious. On so many levels.

See, I am Richard Madeley, you are a seagull. You may fly, but you do not comprehend your own achievement.

I however, get to sit on the sofa with the Stars, who can talk, not just squawk!

Saveman
26-Mar-08, 19:15
It seems the Christian spirit is alive and well..... [disgust]

scorrie
26-Mar-08, 20:03
Suck it up is a common enough expression

Were negative repping considered to be against this forum's etiquette, I am certain the able minded admin would have disabled the option.

F off is a common enough expression. It doesn't mean it is inoffensive though.

You are confusing Etiquette with rules. Etiquette is normally unwritten, it usually evolves amongst a group and is not something to be enforced by admin.

I was ticked off by admin for my reply to Scotsboy. I have apologised publicly and privately for that. As it is, no offence was taken by Scotsboy himself, although I am sure some users WERE offended on his behalf. Such is the nature of forums. As far as I am concerned Scotsboy and I are on good terms with one another and it is nobody else's business now.

You are now wandering off track and resorting to remarks based on my username. You are accusing me of something and then doing the self same thing yourself.

I leave you to admire the "Bollocks" shouters of the world. Each to their own.

Boozeburglar
26-Mar-08, 20:37
....is a common enough expression. It doesn't mean it is inoffensive though.

I think if you do a little research you will find that 'suck it up' means push on past it, get over it, don't let it get you down, keep your chin up or that type of thing... You are equating that with an extremely offensive remark that you should not even be abbreviating on a family friendly message board. Shame on you.

You are now wandering off track and resorting to remarks based on my username. You are accusing me of something and then doing the self same thing yourself.

There is no 'wandering'. YOU brought the remark I left you with your deserved negative rep into this thread in the first place, I am free to answer here.

I am not 'now' resorting to anything, the remark was made once and once only when I left you rep.

A 'witty' remark based on your user name, not a remark attacking you, unlike the remarks you have freely used in reference to half a dozen folk in this thread.

You are displaying shabby observational skills on top of terrible message board etiquette. Try addressing the posts in future, not assumed facets of the posters' personalities.

Maybe you are too busy watching the fishes?

scorrie
27-Mar-08, 00:26
I think if you do a little research you will find that 'suck it up' means push on past it, get over it, don't let it get you down, keep your chin up or that type of thing... You are equating that with an extremely offensive remark that you should not even be abbreviating on a family friendly message board. Shame on you.

There is no 'wandering'. YOU brought the remark I left you with your deserved negative rep into this thread in the first place, I am free to answer here.

I am not 'now' resorting to anything, the remark was made once and once only when I left you rep.

A 'witty' remark based on your user name, not a remark attacking you, unlike the remarks you have freely used in reference to half a dozen folk in this thread.

You are displaying shabby observational skills on top of terrible message board etiquette. Try addressing the posts in future, not assumed facets of the posters' personalities.

Maybe you are too busy watching the fishes?

Would one of the mods like to step in in the name of consistency here?

Loch not Lock
27-Mar-08, 00:30
Time to shake hands, Boozeburglar and Scorrie. This has gone far enough!

Boozeburglar
27-Mar-08, 00:33
I wouldn't want to break his wing...

No umbrage taken on my part.

Rheghead
27-Mar-08, 00:39
I leave you to admire the "Bollocks" shouters of the world. Each to their own.

Yes it does seem to be used more often but I'm not offended, coming from a shipbuilding environment etc. However, I must admit that I try not to use bad language here and I therefore probably get away with more than I deserve when those of fouler mouths get worse for the odd minor indiscretion at the expense of their freedom to express themselves. I know the MODS have a balancing act to do but I do feel so helpless reading a post that contains a sweary and I know as sure as chips are chips, they are getting an infraction for the sake of even handedness when no real malice was intended.

Moira
27-Mar-08, 00:53
I am closing this thread. The Easter question posed by the op has long since lost significance.