PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone lost 2 black dogs, possibly scotties?

dawncw
23-Mar-08, 12:31
Hi 2 black dogs, think they are scotties, are roaming around lose out at hempriggs, i tried catching them but they ran away, they are easily getting thru fences and are heading in towards the castle of Old Wick. If you live around there please look out for them. I hope someone can catch these poor things quite soon as its freezing out there and they must be soaking wet.

Does anyone know the number for the dog warden so i could possibly contact her to let her know.

thanks

KCI
23-Mar-08, 12:48
Hi,

I think the number for the Dog Warden is 01955 607737, but I don't think you will be able to contact them today.

The number for SSPCA is 01847 861386 - maybe they can help?

dawncw
23-Mar-08, 12:54
hi thanks for that, spoke to SSPCA and they belong to the ********** so they seem to heading in the right direction of home!!!!

thanks again

dousslesh
01-Apr-08, 17:46
Saw 5 (! ) Dogs; including two of similar description wandering literally on the A99 near Hempriggs this morning -causing all sorts of problems with traffic in either direction. Dogs had no road sense whatsoever and if car drivers had not been on the ball there was potential for a serious accident. Very sad and worrying for the poor dogs and scary from the point of view of motorists. If these are the same dogs, the owners seriously need to look at taking measures to prevent a tragedy. IF they are not concerned about the welfare of the dogs perhaps they should take on board the fact that they would be held legally responsible for any personal injury and damage to property should they cause an acccident. Can't help but feel sorry for the Poor dogs .

Liz
01-Apr-08, 18:49
You should report this to the Dog Warden or SSPCA.

111heather
01-Apr-08, 20:33
as one of the owners is very ill the other has to look after him so can not go running after dogs who dont normaly leave the farm

dousslesh
01-Apr-08, 21:25
Sorry to hear that the family who may own the dogs have problems, but things will be 100 times worse if something awful happens to either the dogs or to an innocent motorist as a result of the dogs not being under control.
Would not want to make things anymore difficult for this family than they already have to cope with though. If help is needed I'm sure there are individuals and organisations who would help . So any ideas anyone? Is there anything we can do as a community to help ? Would the family want or welcome help or would they consider this to be an intrusion ?

Liz
01-Apr-08, 22:12
I also am sorry that one of the owners is ill but the dogs cannot be left to roam. Surely someone could help with erecting a fence to keep them in?

I am sure it would be very stressful for the owner if these dogs caused an accident and they were held responsible?

If they are no longer fit to look after the dogs then they should contact the SSPCA.

evelyn
01-Apr-08, 22:21
These dogs were roaming long before the owner was ill.
If the owners can't cope, the poor dogs should be rehomed with someone who will care for them properly.
evelyn

Liz
01-Apr-08, 22:25
Totally agree with you Evelyn!

If the owners cannot look after the dogs then they should find new homes for them!

binbob
02-Apr-08, 10:22
i really do not think being ill is an excuse for allowing any dogs to be running loose causing danger to themselves or anyone .
i had a harrowing time with my own healt and my father being terminally ill with lung cancer...had 9 dogs then..and they were just as well cared then as they were before this happened.
i think it is up to us to inform sspca/police/dog warden to prevent any thing bad happening.
if someone can email me with the owners details ..adress,i will personally deal with it.
if meantime ,can anyone catch the dogs and keep them until we get the officials on to it????

Liz
02-Apr-08, 12:43
As the dogs were roaming before the owner became ill then that is exactly what it is. An excuse!

Still, as you rightly say Binbob, illness is no excuse anyway.
I don't keep well but my pets always are, and always will be, my top priority.

If someone cannot look after their pets then they should not have them!

I will contact the dog warden. Binbob if you just tell the SSPCA whose dogs they are then that will be enough as they will know them.

I hope that when the dogs were on the road that someone called the police?!

binbob
02-Apr-08, 17:21
thanks liz....i will get in touch with the sspca.let me know[privately] if the dog warden gets a result,please.

i also hope the police were involved.
i am sorry u also have health issues ,but like me ..pets are always kept safe and secure.
it is not a good situation.

Liz
02-Apr-08, 18:00
Have sent you a pm Binbob.

attidude9464
02-Apr-08, 20:08
The dog warden will not be available for a few weeks. Stray dogs are the remit of the Council and not the SSPCA. The centre at Balmore has the contract with the Council to house any stray dogs which the Council uplift.

binbob
02-Apr-08, 21:31
i think the responsibility lies with all of these agencies.
the dogs are being neglected[sspca] they are running loose and causing possible dangers to themselves and other road users[dog warden...paid for by the council]
and the police should also take responsibility ..re .the road issues.
why is the dog warden not available for WEEKS???
very strange...
someone has to sort these poor animals out.the owners do not deserve them.the dogs deserve better.

carasmam
02-Apr-08, 21:35
I agree with Binbob, not having a go at the SSPCA, but it is a welfare issue if the dogs are able to escape on to a main road like that.

wickchick
02-Apr-08, 22:10
This is not unusual for these dogs. They have killed many chickens and ducks up and around that area as well as disturbing sheep. Was reported again and again and nothing happened. Finally got two of them on a lead and phoned the police to come and get them the police picked them up and gave them back many a time. The is an outstanding matter and something has to be done about it.

attidude9464
02-Apr-08, 22:25
Can I just clarify the SSPCA situation. Before the Inspector can remove any animal from a situation he/she must be able to proove that the animal is suffering. The Inspector must be able to get a vet to agree that the animals are suffering and be willing to stand up in court and say this. There are legal systems that the Inspector has to adhear to and he/she has to work within the law. I am almost positive that no vet in the country would be willing to get involved in this matter as technically the dogs are strays which is the responsibility of the Highland Council and the Police. Because the dogs seem to be in reasonable body condition, are not extremely thin, have no untreated sores or wounds, or not ill and have not had veterinary attention etc a vet would not be able to say they are suffering. The Dog Warden is off Sick

nannydip
03-Apr-08, 08:07
Hope someone can do something before there is an accident, don't know the "history" but no matter what it is some kind of action needs to be taken.

binbob
03-Apr-08, 10:36
Can I just clarify the SSPCA situation. Before the Inspector can remove any animal from a situation he/she must be able to proove that the animal is suffering. The Inspector must be able to get a vet to agree that the animals are suffering and be willing to stand up in court and say this. There are legal systems that the Inspector has to adhear to and he/she has to work within the law. I am almost positive that no vet in the country would be willing to get involved in this matter as technically the dogs are strays which is the responsibility of the Highland Council and the Police. Because the dogs seem to be in reasonable body condition, are not extremely thin, have no untreated sores or wounds, or not ill and have not had veterinary attention etc a vet would not be able to say they are suffering. The Dog Warden is off Sick

thank u for that...
hope the dog warden recovers soon ,but should there not be a second in charge??TO COVER THIS.

it seems incredulous to me that as u are an sspca employee,u are not being compassionate about the dogs welfare.surely it is not safe to have these dogs running around killing other birds/animals or even running in the road.
i can not believe that u think this is not anyone s responsibility..

as u know and many others do too..the law is an ASS.
i am not writing anymore on this ,but i will be seeing what else can be done.

attidude9464
03-Apr-08, 18:40
Sorry you are mistaken I do not work for the SSPCA. Yes I have involvement with the SSPCA and would like to point out that all members of the SSPCA do feel that it is wrong for any dogs to be straying but it is outwith their jurisdiction

unicorn
03-Apr-08, 21:28
Do people actually have proof of all these allegations being made here as people have actually been named in this thread and I find it quite worrying to see these kind of allegations being viewed by so many people.
I know no details of the case personally so shall not comment on it.

Dadie
04-Apr-08, 08:30
If someone was unfortunate enough to run over one of the dogs in question the police would want to speak to them asap... but dogs running loose doesnt seem to be a problem...if the dogs were picked up everytime and there was a fine to get them back would that solve the problem?? or make it worse??

attidude9464
04-Apr-08, 08:51
If a dog is taken to Balmore AWC as a stray via the Highland Council Contract, the owner of the dog has to pay a reclaiming fee to get their dog back. This fee is set by the Highland Council and not the SSPCA. So perhaps if these dogs in question, are picked up every time they are are straying then possibly this would encourage the owners to not allow them to stray. But perhaps not, who knows!!!

wickchick
04-Apr-08, 10:15
The dogs have been picked up by the police from a local farm a few times. The police then give them back with a warning. The dogs are then let out late at night so that no one sees them and they are roaming for food everynight.

Liz
15-Apr-08, 12:49
Just to let you know that the Dog Warden is back on duty now.