PDA

View Full Version : the curse of Steptoe...

percy toboggan
22-Mar-08, 18:49
and Son.....did anyone watch this the other night on BBC4?

It told the story of possibly the greatest ever sit-com Steptoe & Son. I can remember the first series, the way it caught on so fast. Quite co-incidentally I was given a dvd of the pilot, and the subsequent first five episodes by my daughter last Christmas.

I had only a vague idea the idea that Harry H. Corbett -who played the son, Harold...was an accomplished classical actor whose career was sidetracked by Steptoe. Despite revelling in the early success of the show he later yearned to return to the stage, but was hampered by typecasting. Which in term made him slightly bitter...latterly it ate away at his soul.

His relationship with his on-screen Dad, Albert..played by Wilfred Brambell was never a warm one. They didn't actually like each other very much. The latter often turning up late for rehearsals and readings, and aloof from all of the cast and crew, save for a rather camp make-up man.

I can remember a news story from the sixties about Brambell...he'd been 'nicked' for importuning in Gent's toilets somewhere...the story seemed to go away much more quickly than it would have done today. He was a lonely, pathetic figure really, was Wilfred. An alcoholic - or thereabouts, who could not really come to terms with his sexuality...something I found a little odd, given his chosen profession...I mean there must have been plenty of like minded men about, backstage and up front. It made me think of the plight of homosexuals back then before this subsequent age of relative enlightenment. Not at all easy, and this portrayal of Wilfred as an almost lost soul looking for love and affection might have earned a good deal of sympathy from any viewer, no matter how hard hearted on the subject.

The programme was brilliantly scripted and acted. Phil Davis , playing Wilfred was very, very good (to be expected from Davis) but the real revelation here was the performance of Jeremy Isaacs as Harold. In certain lights, the resemblance was quite uncanny, and he seemed to capture the essence of frustration, and resigned bitterness so wonderfully well. Bravo!

I'm glad I taped it to disc, which will be slipped into the case of my recent gift. An essential companion, if a rather sad one. Even at this distance of forty odd years the myth has been debunked, and it's saddened me slightly . All those side splitting repeats which still work so well will now be slightly tainted by the truth. Both men are long dead of course but they are immortal...in time they will elevate to Laurel & Hardy proportions, if they haven't already. Gods of comedy.

But Steptoe & Son was never just about comedy, scriptwriters Galton & Simpson, whose characters played a big part of this semi-documentary conveyed huge dollops of pathos...the younger thrusting Son who felt so trapped in his hum-drum life in Oildrum Lane. The wiser viewer tapped into his fate. Almost chained to the horse & cart, because his father could not survive without him...his youth passing him by, and forever vanishing. A line from Shakespeare bookended the BBC show 'I have wasted time, and now time wasteth me'...I think from Richard III (not sure) It served to sum up Harry 'Aitches attitude to his own career.

There are more programmes to come in 'The Curse of ' and promise excellent viewing , I'm just not sure I want to watch :confused .

If you like good telly though, you might like this.

Bobinovich
22-Mar-08, 19:55
Thanks for that synopsis and showbiz history Percy - I'll be sure to try and catch future episodes.

I wasn't a great S&S fan myself - probably a bit too young when it was originally played - and with plenty of other comedy classics available I was well catered for when the time was right, so didn't often turn to the S&S repeats. However, those snippets I did catch I did find amusing.

MadPict
22-Mar-08, 20:05
I watched it the other night - I have memories of watching Steptoe & Son every week. I guess the 'act' that as father and son they disliked each other was based on a real mutual dislike. Have to agree both Davis and Issacs were very good in the parts.

Buttercup
22-Mar-08, 21:38
Steptoe was a great favourite in our house we used to watch it every week.
Thanks for the "run down" Percy, fair vexed I missed it ~ I did see a trailer for it last week, but completely forgot it was on. :( Hope it's repeated soon.

Aaldtimer
22-Mar-08, 21:51
Buttercup, it's being shown again on Easter Sunday, 10.45 PM, BBC4.

scorrie
22-Mar-08, 22:56
Being just a youngster when Steptoe was in it's heyday, I was blissfully unaware of Wilfred Brambell's problems. It was also news to me that Harry H was a decent stage actor. Everything I saw him in gave no indication of greater latent talent.

I enjoyed the BBC 4 production and felt that both actors gave a good account of themselves. Issacs in particular seemed to capture the voice and mannerisms really accurately. There was a small Bleak House connection, with Phil Davis having played Mr (Shake me up Judy) Smallweed and one of the scriptwriters was played by the chap who was Mr Guppy in the same Dickens adaptation.

Next episode is about Tony Hancock (not looking for a happy ending to that one!!)

Buttercup
22-Mar-08, 22:57
Buttercup, it's being shown again on Easter Sunday, 10.45 PM, BBC4.
Thanks Aaldtimmer, I'll certainly be watching tomorrow night ~ will have post-its all over the house! ;) [lol]

karia
22-Mar-08, 23:00
I watched it the other night - I have memories of watching Steptoe & Son every week. I guess the 'act' that as father and son they disliked each other was based on a real mutual dislike. Have to agree both Davis and Issacs were very good in the parts.

Some incredible performances!

Buttercup
22-Mar-08, 23:04
Being just a youngster when Steptoe was in it's heyday, I was blissfully unaware of Wilfred Brambell's problems. It was also news to me that Harry H was a decent stage actor. Everything I saw him in gave no indication of greater latent talent.

I enjoyed the BBC 4 production and felt that both actors gave a good account of themselves. Issacs in particular seemed to capture the voice and mannerisms really accurately. There was a small Bleak House connection, with Phil Davis having played Mr (Shake me up Judy) Smallweed and one of the scriptwriters was played by the chap who was Mr Guppy in the same Dickens adaptation.

Next episode is about Tony Hancock (not looking for a happy ending to that one!!)

Never could understand the attraction of Tony Handcock :confused he used to annoy me no end. So I'll give that one a miss.

TBH
22-Mar-08, 23:06
Steptoe was a great favourite in our house we used to watch it every week.
Thanks for the "run down" Percy, fair vexed I missed it ~ I did see a trailer for it last week, but completely forgot it was on. :( Hope it's repeated soon.You can watch it online: BBC iPlayer - The Curse of Steptoe and Son (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009hp17.shtml?src=ip_mp)

Buttercup
22-Mar-08, 23:16
You can watch it online: BBC iPlayer - The Curse of Steptoe and Son (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009hp17.shtml?src=ip_mp)
Cheers TBH, didn't think on that. But since it's repeated so soon I'll just watch all tucked up in bed.:lol:

scorrie
23-Mar-08, 17:08
Never could understand the attraction of Tony Handcock :confused he used to annoy me no end. So I'll give that one a miss.

I didn't find Tony Hancock to be funny either. In fact Hancock's Half Hour was about 29 minutes too long from what I saw of it ;)

I'll still watch the Curse of program though. I hope it might show me what I was missing about the man's humour.

Kevin Milkins
23-Mar-08, 17:42
I used to look foward Steptoe and Son when I was a nipper and I was playing with my new toy /BT Vision\ that I set up on Friday and an old episode came on about Harold wanted to go on holiday on his own for the first time.
Its a coincedance that Percy came up with this thread and TBH put the web thread on . I watched it last night and enjoyed very much .Thank you

dessie
23-Mar-08, 17:42
and the pair of them did not like each other...

simonH
23-Mar-08, 19:22
I watched the drama about s&s and I also watched the pilot of the series that was shown after. It really made me appreciate the acting because I think they did manage to convey a love /hate relationship that parents and their children can have.I wonder if this is why they were so popular, because people could relate to them saying things that they felt but would never dream of saying.

TBH
23-Mar-08, 22:54
I used to look foward Steptoe and Son when I was a nipper and I was playing with my new toy /BT Vision\ that I set up on Friday and an old episode came on about Harold wanted to go on holiday on his own for the first time.
Its a coincedance that Percy came up with this thread and TBH put the web thread on . I watched it last night and enjoyed very much .Thank youNo coincidence, I just typed curse of steptoe and son into google and found a link to watch it online. I see now after watching the documentary, how much art was imitating life there. Harry H Corbett was type-cast with not much chance of getting any work as a serious actor which apparently he was very good at, this was reflected in Harold being stuck with his dad, growing old and his dreams fading fast.

horseman
24-Mar-08, 13:03
Hers's me thinking of you as a dog's breath, an then you come up with something like that;)

percy toboggan
24-Mar-08, 15:13
Well, I'm as happy as a dog with two todgers today ! ....paid a rare visit to a car boot sale this morning and came away with two VHS cassettes from the Beeb with a total of ten Steptoe & Son episodes...for just two quid! The 'Sixth Sense' for 20p. was a spooky bonus...so,.. my laughter quotient is sorted for ths week at least.

TBH
24-Mar-08, 15:25
Hers's me thinking of you as a dog's breath, an then you come up with something like that;)
What's a dog's breath and who are you referring to?

percy toboggan
24-Mar-08, 15:29
What's a dog's breath and who are you referring to?

I'd guess he means me, but I've always had a hign op-onion of meself ;)

Buttercup
24-Mar-08, 16:47
Watched it last night ~ very interesting. Wilfred Brambell came across as a real sad and lonely character. While Harry H Corbett appeared to be a bit of a chauvinist pig ~ it was ok for him to ogle females but would like to keep his own wife well covered up :roll: ~ though he was well cast for the role.

mccaugm
24-Mar-08, 17:34
My hubby and I watched it and found it completely fascinating. I loved Steptoe and son and have watched the endless repeats over the years. Watching the documentary/drama about the actors themselves was very intriguing. They were a million miles from the characters they played.

George Brims
24-Mar-08, 19:40
I can remember a news story from the sixties about Brambell...he'd been 'nicked' for importuning in Gent's toilets somewhere...the story seemed to go away much more quickly than it would have done today. He was a lonely, pathetic figure really, was Wilfred. An alcoholic - or thereabouts, who could not really come to terms with his sexuality...something I found a little odd, given his chosen profession...I mean there must have been plenty of like minded men about, backstage and up front. It made me think of the plight of homosexuals back then before this subsequent age of relative enlightenment. Not at all easy, and this portrayal of Wilfred as an almost lost soul looking for love and affection might have earned a good deal of sympathy from any viewer, no matter how hard hearted on the subject.
I'm sorry I missed that (and iPlayer won't let us see it over here in the colonies).

I recently read a bunch of stories in various places on the web about people like Frankie Howerd, Kenneth Williams, Charles Hawtrey, and several more, who were all unable to publicly acknowledge their sexual orientation and lived sad and lonely lives as a result. Didn't know Wilfred B was in the same boat. Actually Percy, I don't know that it's all that much better nowadays when you see how reluctant some people who are obviously gay (not naming names here in case I get sued!) are to come out, even in the supposedly more open-minded field of entertainment.