PDA

View Full Version : I remember them

Rheghead
11-Nov-05, 19:46
I walked to the Cenotaph of my home town at ten to eleven this morning. A town that supplied so many young men who were the 'Pals' and comrades of both World Wars. I looked around at the ever dwindling numbers this year, a sombre mood fills the busy cobbled street as the minutes count down.

Eventually, we are called to remember those that have fallen for our liberty and the Last post fills the air.

As the music dies, my thoughts are drawn to those that have died and curiously to my own mortality.

As silence falls, a tear was sure to follow.

I will always remember.

Kenn
11-Nov-05, 23:41
I too stood in silence and reflected today, I am one of the lucky ones who did not lose any close family members but I will still stand and salute those who defended our freedoms with their lives whether the cause was just or not.

sassylass
12-Nov-05, 00:48
A heartfelt thanks to those who have fought for us.

Lavenderblue2
12-Nov-05, 10:20
I am so glad that even more emphasis is being given today as to the importance of this occasion.

The fact that it's not only the two world wars that we should be remembering on 11th November was highlighted this year by the young war widow and her daughter who were depicted on the RBL poster.

My great uncle was killed nr. Soissons in France on the 1st August 1918 - so near to the end of the war.

Also I always remember the awful conditions endured by those (my dad being one) who fought during the last world war - they did it for us.

Yes Rheghead, ‘as silence fell, a tear was sure to follow’.

Tom Cornwall
12-Nov-05, 11:14
In reply to Lavenderblue2
A couple of years ago we went to France and visited the battlefields and cemetries around Soissons and on the Somme.
It was very emotional and very very quiet.
The local people help to keep the war cemetries spotless.
I've got some photos if any one is interested.

Lavenderblue2
12-Nov-05, 12:00
In reply to Lavenderblue2
A couple of years ago we went to France and visited the battlefields and cemetries around Soissons and on the Somme.
It was very emotional and very very quiet.
The local people help to keep the war cemetries spotless.
I've got some photos if any one is interested.

Tom

I would love to see your photo's. Apparently my gt uncles name appears on the memorial he was in 1st/5th Bn. King's Own Scottish Borderers.

I will send my e.mail address to you via a PM.

Lavenderblue