PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe It

Royster1911
22-Mar-08, 16:24
Will it stop you girls/women/men stop drinking? According to reports, you COULD get breast cancer if you drink too much! It may be true. To add to the presumption, I would add, you may suffer from a sore head the following morning, you may fall over (by accident), you may get into an argument, and God forbid, you may actually enjoy yourself!:Razz

anneoctober
22-Mar-08, 16:35
It won't make any difference to me personally - my family don't let me out that often! :eek: When I am out, I usually only have a couple of Smirnoff ice - THAT said the last twice I've been out , I assume I've enjoyed myself because of the resulting hangover!! [lol]

justine
22-Mar-08, 16:35
sorry to say this but it seems we are damned if we do and damned if we dont...Breast cancer is something we have to live with the same as any other human with the risk of getting any form of cancer....I dont drink, but there are many other reasons why we could get breat cancer, its the big question...There was a story about if we take HRT we are likely to get breast cancer...like i said, damned if we do or dont....

Royster1911
22-Mar-08, 16:46
sorry to say this but it seems we are damned if we do and damned if we dont...Breast cancer is something we have to live with the same as any other human with the risk of getting any form of cancer....I dont drink, but there are many other reasons why we could get breat cancer, its the big question...There was a story about if we take HRT we are likely to get breast cancer...like i said, damned if we do or dont....

Ohh, so true. My wife hasthe same predicament. Like you said, damned if you do, damned if you dont.:~(

justine
22-Mar-08, 16:51
Ohh, so true. My wife hasthe same predicament. Like you said, damned if you do, damned if you dont.:~(

Sorry to hear that...my wishes are they could find a cure for all types of cancer and hope it comes quickly, but it will never be quick enough for some....:(

Dadie
22-Mar-08, 18:27
I have not been a big drinker for a while now ... dont think I have really had a drink since before being pregnant with Lauren(didnt drink whilst pregnant and feeding her, when i stopped i became pregnant again soon after). The cancer stats wont stop me but being pregnant again and the breast feeding will!

Mister Squiggle
22-Mar-08, 18:40
I heard a doctor on the Chris Evans show on BBC 2 stating that women should drink a weekly maximum of 1.5 bottles of wine or equivalent. I just about crashed the car when I heard that - that's just a good night in at our place. His point however was that it doesn't hurt to keep a tab on how much you drink and think about ways to cut back ... however, if chocolate makes you fat, cream hardens your arteries and now wine's going to give you breast cancer, it all seems a bit grim. Makes a girl want to go and have a good stiff drink. ;)

Saxy Lady
22-Mar-08, 19:25
Will it stop you girls/women/men stop drinking? According to reports, you COULD get breast cancer if you drink too much! It may be true. To add to the presumption, I would add, you may suffer from a sore head the following morning, you may fall over (by accident), you may get into an argument, and God forbid, you may actually enjoy yourself!:Razz

If we believed everything that is supposedly dangerous to us...eggs cause salmonella, deodrants cause cancer, chickens give food poisoning, we wouldn't be able to live! We have to die of something so enjoy life while you can :)

karia
22-Mar-08, 20:36
Having multiple births, having no kids at all, contraceptive choices, fertliity drugs, bottled water, eating red meat, high blood sugar, hereditary disposition, deoderant, shaving your armpits, shampoos & other products containing parabens, cooking oils, animal fats and alcohol..all can be contributory causes of Breast Cancer...in the perceived wisdom of today.

Being alive raises your chances of dying by 100%

My mother is dying of terminal breast cancer.

anneoctober
22-Mar-08, 21:54
Having multiple births, having no kids at all, contraceptive choices, fertliity drugs, bottled water, eating red meat, high blood sugar, hereditary disposition, deoderant, shaving your armpits, shampoos & other products containing parabens, cooking oils, animal fats and alcohol..all can be contributory causes of Breast Cancer...in the perceived wisdom of today.

Being alive raises your chances of dying by 100%

My mum died aged 36 years old of breast cancer, that was 38 years ago, she did n't have all the modern "conveniences" to contend with, she did n't drink, although smoked very occasionally. The main perpetrator leading to her death imho was the "radium " treatment they had back then, not her odd ciggie. Yes I admit I AM bitter, cancer & it's treatment have robbed me of a fantastic mum and lady.
Live your life while you are here ladies, and make it one to remember:)

karia
22-Mar-08, 22:04
My mum died aged 36 years old of breast cancer, that was 38 years ago, she did n't have all the modern "conveniences" to contend with, she did n't drink, although smoked very occasionally. The main perpetrator leading to her death imho was the "radium " treatment they had back then, not her odd ciggie. Yes I admit I AM bitter, cancer & it's treatment have robbed me of a fantastic mum and lady.
Live your life while you are here ladies, and make it one to remember:)

Beeg hugs Anne..ye ken that!

The 'guilt placed upon 'lifestyle' is unpleasant and unwarranted.

I agree..live life as ye have it!

Kariaxx

P' Ming you.

Dadie
22-Mar-08, 22:18
We only get 1 life and death per person in this world so you might as well enjoy the time you have on this earth doing things you enjoy be it drinking eating or extreme sports (whatever floats your boat) while you can there is no point in looking back when you are old (if you get that far!) thinking if only....

unicorn
22-Mar-08, 22:21
Don't forget that men get breast cancer also not just women.

karia
22-Mar-08, 22:23
We only get 1 life and death per person in this world so you might as well enjoy the time you have on this earth doing things you enjoy be it drinking eating or extreme sports (whatever floats your boat) while you can there is no point in looking back when you are old (if you get that far!) thinking if only....

Totally agree Dadie,

Minimise what risks you can.

.. but don't get so afraid of dying that ye forget to live.;)

Dadie
22-Mar-08, 22:31
yep as my granny used to say you are a long time dead might as well live life and enjoy it while you can!

Margaret M.
22-Mar-08, 23:54

So very sorry to hear that, Karia. I am glad that you are able to care for her although it has to be heartbreaking.

ŠAmethyst
23-Mar-08, 11:06
I knew two wonderful men who have died of cancer... one of lung cancer (never smoked a day in his life) and one of testicular, bowel or pancreatic cancer, more recently. I am still not sure which type, it spread so fast I don't think anyone's 100% sure. Still, both had very healthy lifestyles.

The latter - his wife has been battling with drink since he died. But she's got no health problems other than the sadness of her loss.

It's difficult to write about those men because I have had two cancer scares in my 23 years, breast and bowel. Thankfully I had the all clear on both occasions (about 18 months in between the two). Unfortunately those men didn't.

The way I see it - if you're going to get cancer, then you're just going to get it. I don't want to live my life thinking "if I do this I might get cancer" or "what happens if I do this"... it's not worth worrying about in my opinion.

I'm not going to stop smoking just because I might get cancer from it. I will stop smoking because I want to. I won't leave my drink at the bar after buying it incase I get breast cancer. I'll drink it if I want to and I'll leave it if I don't want it.

Why try to change the future if we don't know what is going to happen anyway?

I'm in a situation where one of my boyfriends foreign relatives is waiting for tests as the doctors think he has cancer. We don't get on with this man, but from what I gather he's lived a healthy and quite typical mediterranean lifestyle. Despite not getting along with this man, we're still going to be there for the rest of the family.

To all those who've lost loved ones, be they relatives or friends, through cancer. I feel for you. But while we are alive, it is my personal opinion that we should live as we wish instead of doing what we hear on tv or media to avoid any possible consequences.

Living in fear of something that might not happen is not living at all.