PDA

View Full Version : B & Q

BIG A
21-Mar-08, 22:23
Have been told B and Q :Dare to be the tenant of the new store and Garden centre beside tesco.
Great News a Rival for HomeBase and Better prices

Boozeburglar
21-Mar-08, 22:25
MUCH better prices!

Faithers Appprentice
21-Mar-08, 22:56
Is that to go with the Wetherspoons and the Travelodge?

Admittedly I'm new to the board but unless you are willing to reveal the source of such information, I don't think it is really worth posting/speculating on.

changilass
21-Mar-08, 22:59
Well said that man or woman:D

miranda
21-Mar-08, 23:32
cool ..if its true... B&Q are well cheaper than ..the dreaded homebase!!!

BIG A
21-Mar-08, 23:59

Admittedly I'm new to the board but unless you are willing to reveal the source of such information, I don't think it is really worth posting/speculating on.

Some Times the source does not wish it to be made Public.
Weatherspoons Manager gave Info.
Travellodge was in Pand J AND Press release.
I could tell you some of the other shops that are going there and of Three shops closing in Caithness But will keep that for later

EDDIE
22-Mar-08, 09:56

The latest gossip on the org is quite accurate the orgers dont deal with duff information here lol

Humerous Vegetable
22-Mar-08, 10:17
I could tell you some of the other shops that are going there and of Three shops closing in Caithness But will keep that for later

Maybe you could ask your source something more important to some of us - what is happening with the Asda proposal? I get the impression that they are not, and never have been, interested in the mart site, so we are no closer to getting a reasonable fuel price in Thurso than we ever were. We are going to be at the mercy of the local cartel until only local politicians and farmers will be on the roads in Caithness.

ciderally
22-Mar-08, 11:12
jeez i cant believe that all these stores have found caithness at long last.....what is the reason for this..is there something going on that i havent heard about??? and if not whats bringing them north....

badger
22-Mar-08, 11:18
jeez i cant believe that all these stores have found caithness at long last.....what is the reason for this..is there something going on that i havent heard about??? and if not whats bringing them north....

Must be the same thing that's bringing all the people north - at least if the number of new houses is anything to go by. Can't go out these days without seeing another one.

Maybe Dounreay isn't running down after all. Maybe the tidal energy generator is coming sooner than we thought. Maybe the oil off Lybster is going to be massive. There must be something :eek: . These big stores must do a bit of advance market research - what do they know that we don't?

hails4
22-Mar-08, 11:21
general rumours ive heard going next to Tescos are Dobbies (i think) B&Q (heard a while ago) and also JJB Sports. But like i say that was a passing comment and if we where all to take them seriously we'd be the size of Glasgow by now!!

telfordstar
22-Mar-08, 11:33
I must be way way behind i havnt heard of any f the new shops opening and closing anyone care to fill me in.

dirdyweeker
22-Mar-08, 11:38
.............. anyone care to fill me in.

not something to ask for too flippantly in this neck of the woods!;)

telfordstar
22-Mar-08, 13:19
not something to ask for too flippantly in this neck of the woods!;)

I know but will be fun to see what they reply back:D

Boozeburglar
22-Mar-08, 15:18
Maybe the tidal energy generator is coming sooner than we thought.

Lol!

Like that is going to employ many locals short term never mind long term!

Maybe all the folk rushing North are wind turbine fans?

Perhaps it is the result of the massaged housing market, and it is a case of sell up move North or wherever you can get a house before you find yourself in negative equity as the burst bubble finally collapses.

Expect more of it over the next five to ten years then, much more.

mr do dar
22-Mar-08, 18:45
big a ... you have all the inside info about everything thats happening this side of dover . im glad you share it with us . its a shame the council board dont have the same info

Penelope Pitstop
22-Mar-08, 22:53

What's the point in posting this if you have nothing/or won't back it up.....:confused ....no sense in it really.

BIG A
22-Mar-08, 23:21
What's the point in posting this if you have nothing/or won't back it up.....:confused ....no sense in it really.
Sometimes you have to keep your source Confidential.

percy toboggan
23-Mar-08, 08:52
I purchased a 'ball valve repair kit' at my local B & Q yesterday for £3.48.
The hot water cistern seems to need such a repair every twelve months or so. I did the usual thing of extracting the split pin, unscrewing the piston housing and got said piston out to reveal a badly worn washer.

Pushing home the complete new piston assembly was a tad difficult as it seemed a bit tighter than usual. Far too gung-ho I pressed on...then it dawned upon me that if the thing didn't work I'd not be able to get it out at all easily.

Needless to say it didn't work, and all the improvisation I could muster would not prise the darned thing oot!

Two hours later we were fifty quid lighter...an obliging local plumber had turned out on a saturday afternoon to fit a whole ball valve assembly - which I'd neither the tools, not the skill to tackle I'm afraid. The original had been in the tank since 1976 when the house was built so I suppose it was overdue for replacement. Scuppered our afternoon at the Cinema though (The Orphanage) we were both too fed up to bother :~(:confused

What a load of ballcocks!

EDDIE
23-Mar-08, 09:12
Well at least u had a go to try and fix it percy thats the main thing

northener
24-Mar-08, 10:58
I'm not convinced there is any sort of 'secret agenda' with the big companies moving in up here.

Think about it, all these companies have taken all the prime location sites elsewhere in Scotland. They are now in a position where they have plenty of cash to spend and are looking at sites that they would run a mile from if they were not so wealthy.

No secrets, just common business sense.

percy toboggan
24-Mar-08, 15:27
Ease of distribution is the key here, and an untapped market...even if it's relatively small.

Concentrated logistics mean centralised distribution brings fringe markets closer...and makes them viable.

I reckon one artic load a week could stock a store in Wick. The other four days said artic will be servicing outlets in the central belt

balto
24-Mar-08, 15:30
all i can say is wick centre may aswell shut down[evil][evil]

TBH
24-Mar-08, 15:32
all i can say is wick centre may aswell shut down[evil][evil]How many businesses can be proved to have been directly affected by the retail parks sprouting up in wick at the moment? Are there any statistics available, not just hearsay?

balto
24-Mar-08, 15:35
How many businesses can be proved to have been directly affected by the retail parks sprouting up in wick at the moment? Are there any statistics available, not just hearsay?
seems a bit strange that most of the shops were ticking along nicely and then bang in comes tesco and before you know it a lot have had to close their doors think that speaks for itself eh.

TBH
24-Mar-08, 15:37
seems a bit strange that most of the shops were ticking along nicely and then bang in comes tesco and before you know it a lot have had to close their doors think that speaks for itself eh.That's pure conjecture Balto, where is the hard evidence?

balto
24-Mar-08, 15:40
[quote=TBH;363759]That's pure conjecture Balto, where is the hard evidence?[/quote

i am sure that if we asked the business that have shut their doors, to show us their books we would see a big difference from when tesco opened, in the amount of money that they took in.

Bobinovich
24-Mar-08, 15:46
I think a lot of local businesses were already having a hard time of it - especially with the Internet being made so much more available since the introduction of broadband locally. Others had owners close to retirement, but many have used Tesco simply as a scapegoat.

I've noticed a number of changes in my own business over the last few years, but have diversified into new/different markets to compensate for those which have dwindled.

TBH
24-Mar-08, 16:52
i am sure that if we asked the business that have shut their doors, to show us their books we would see a big difference from when tesco opened, in the amount of money that they took in.Again that is pure conjecture. Where are all these businesses that have closed as a direct result of retail developement in Caithness. Where are the testimonies of the owners of these businesses that they have had to close purely on the basis of the emergence of the retail parks?

bekisman
24-Mar-08, 17:16
Balto: "sorry to say this but i for one am pleased that asda isnt coming to thurso, aye they go on about all the new jobs they will create but what about the jobs that will be losed because of asda, it would be wick town centre all over again".. "All i can say is wick centre may aswell shut down am sure that if we asked the business that have shut their doors, to show us their books we would see a big difference from when tesco opened, in the amount of money that they took in."

What a dinosaur way to think. Go back 100 years, Mrs McKay opened her fishshop, this effected Mrs Oag's fish shop. Mr McIntosh's food store opened and this effected Mr Smiths store, Presto opened and effected John Browns corner store, it goes on, it's normal progression - no good wailing about it, diversify or die. Have you noticed that Suters /Serendipity is now open lunch time, the fish shop likewise? (to late) If the product or convenient time is not there, we go elsewhere.
What shops can you name that 'shut their doors' because Tesco came - presumable not one business closed prior to November 2006?

At the moment there is just one decent shopping town: Wick, and although 'out west' we do not stop in Thurso but bypass to Wick for our 20,000 lines in Tesco our cheaper fuel ('only' £250 a year saved there by a poster) what the heck do we want to stop in Thurso for? - Now, if ASDA does come to Thurso, and it's still a possibility, then we will shop there AND go into the centre for a cup of coffee and a bun, might nip into Serendipity for gardening stuff might even nip into Woollies.. So a lack of a decent well-stocked and good range supermarket in Thurso is effecting the place, I know for a fact that all our friends in Thurso go over to Wick on Saturday to shop and fill up.. "pleased ASDA's not coming to Thurso?" Hmmm

dunderheed
24-Mar-08, 18:35
think it will be more likely to be dobbies as they are owned by the tesco group.

changilass
24-Mar-08, 18:44
Don't like Dobbies, they are expensive.

Will stick to Castletown garden centre and trips down south

karia
24-Mar-08, 18:50
However Dobbies, unlike B&Q, has a terrific Deli section!:)

Penelope Pitstop
25-Mar-08, 11:02
I think a lot of local businesses were already having a hard time of it - especially with the Internet being made so much more available since the introduction of broadband locally. Others had owners close to retirement, but many have used Tesco simply as a scapegoat.

I've noticed a number of changes in my own business over the last few years, but have diversified into new/different markets to compensate for those which have dwindled.

I agree about the local businesses.

I've also noticed the change in business over the last 3 years.