PDA

View Full Version : Bridies

justine
21-Mar-08, 19:22
I have discovered Bridies over the last couple of weeks..I was wondering if anyone has a recipie for home-made ones, genuine recipie, or variations of would be great.....Grandmas recipie .......................

dellwak
22-Mar-08, 14:20
For the pastry

400g/12 oz plain flour
100g/3 oz margarine
100g/3 oz beef dripping
Water to mix
Salt

Mix the dripping and margarine together.
Sift the flour and salt.
Rub the fat into the flour with your fingers, adding just enough water to make a stiff dough.
Divide into four and roll into large ovals.
Leave to rest.

Or you can use frozen puff pastry if you like that better.

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6

The filling

500g / 1 lb rump or topside beef
75g/3 oz finely chopped beef suet
2 finely chopped medium onions
Salt & black peppper

Beat the steak out thin and cut roughly into 1 cm / 1/2 inch pieces. (If you are using a cheaper cut of meat, mince it).
Put the meat into a bowl and mix with the onions, suet and seasoning. divide into four.
Cover half of each pastry oval with the meat mixture leaving space at the edges for sealing.
Wet the edges of the pastry, fold over and crimp together.
Make a hole in the top to let the steam out.
Bake on a greased baking sheet for about 45 min.

Eat hot or cold

By the way - Cornish Pasties are made the same way, but they have potatoe added to the meat mixture.

Enjoy :D

justine
22-Mar-08, 15:46
For the pastry

400g/12 oz plain flour
100g/3 oz margarine
100g/3 oz beef dripping
Water to mix
Salt

Mix the dripping and margarine together.
Sift the flour and salt.
Rub the fat into the flour with your fingers, adding just enough water to make a stiff dough.
Divide into four and roll into large ovals.
Leave to rest.

Or you can use frozen puff pastry if you like that better.

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6

The filling

500g / 1 lb rump or topside beef
75g/3 oz finely chopped beef suet
2 finely chopped medium onions
Salt & black peppper

Beat the steak out thin and cut roughly into 1 cm / 1/2 inch pieces. (If you are using a cheaper cut of meat, mince it).
Put the meat into a bowl and mix with the onions, suet and seasoning. divide into four.
Cover half of each pastry oval with the meat mixture leaving space at the edges for sealing.
Wet the edges of the pastry, fold over and crimp together.
Make a hole in the top to let the steam out.
Bake on a greased baking sheet for about 45 min.

Eat hot or cold

By the way - Cornish Pasties are made the same way, but they have potatoe added to the meat mixture.

Enjoy :D

Cheers for that...I will enjoy....I love cornish pasties aswell, but the Bridie definately has it over the cornish.....

golach
22-Mar-08, 16:28
Cheers for that...I will enjoy....I love cornish pasties aswell, but the Bridie definately has it over the cornish.....
Oh justine, I would run for the hills if I were you, there are one or two Oggie landers on the Org and they will be gunning for you :lol:
By the way a Tiddy Oggie is a Cornish Pastie :D

justine
22-Mar-08, 16:32
Oh justine, I would run for the hills if I were you, there are one or two Oggie landers on the Org and they will be gunning for you
By the way a Tiddy Oggie is a Cornish Pastie

So whats new.....;)
I do like the cornish but it has to be a proper one...And before i get jumped on by the Oggie Landers, i thought the pasty was originally from Devon...or am i worng...:D

Ash
22-Mar-08, 16:53
you havent taster a bridie unless you have been to forfar, my dad comes from there and my gran always takes them up, they are the best ever and absoultely massive!!!! yummy

justine
22-Mar-08, 17:07
you havent taster a bridie unless you have been to forfar, my dad comes from there and my gran always takes them up, they are the best ever and absoultely massive!!!! yummy

Look like im off to Forfar.............any orders....:lol:

golach
22-Mar-08, 17:13
Look like im off to Forfar.............any orders....:lol:
Get me an ingan ain an aw please Justine [lol]

justine
22-Mar-08, 17:35
Get me an ingan ain an aw please Justine [lol]

can i have that in written english, i would get you it if i knew what you wanted.:eek:i know an aw is aswell i think.....

justine
22-Mar-08, 17:45
ok my oh just told me what you mean.

Buttercup
22-Mar-08, 22:53
Not exactly authentic but I make the filling by throughly mixing equal quantities of mince and sausagemeat. Then adding finely chopped onions and a grated potato.

justine
23-Mar-08, 00:12
Not exactly authentic but I make the filling by throughly mixing equal quantities of mince and sausagemeat. Then adding finely chopped onions and a grated potato.

Thats sounds like the ones i have tried.I could not make up my mind whether it was just mashed mince with potato..Cheers i will definately have a go...if it dont work i will have to head south....

Kenn
23-Mar-08, 01:00
Bridies TAKE preference over PROPER pasties!
I was making Teddy Oggies last week in Caithness for the locals and although the recipe looks similar I wil defend a PROPER oggie to the death.

Now there's a challenge, you can bake me a Bridie an' I will bake you an' Oggie and lets see which is best.

changilass
23-Mar-08, 01:04
He he, just out of interest I added the ingredients in to the weight watchers site, basically if you have 1 bridie you aint getting owt else for the day lol

but worth it :lol:

Hing on there folks, just noticed Lizz's post, if you are having a bake off I feel it is only fair for me to be official taste tester, but will have to say you will have to go a long way to better one of her Oggies

Bobinovich
23-Mar-08, 15:41
Changi - I wish to throw down the gauntlet & challenge you for the post of official taste tester. I feel that I am suitably qualified for the position (in that I am a greedy sod who enjoys his grub) and feel it quite unfair that you promote yourself unchallenged!

There, said it :lol:!

changilass
23-Mar-08, 15:55
Sod orf Bob, I got there first.

justine
24-Mar-08, 15:59
Bridies TAKE preference over PROPER pasties!
I was making Teddy Oggies last week in Caithness for the locals and although the recipe looks similar I wil defend a PROPER oggie to the death.

Now there's a challenge, you can bake me a Bridie an' I will bake you an' Oggie and lets see which is best.

Do i get a couple of practise runs first...... as for the testers i think the two cooks should taste eachothes before bob, changilass get their hands on them....Only fair...:)

golach
24-Mar-08, 16:29
Changi - I wish to throw down the gauntlet & challenge you for the post of official taste tester. I feel that I am suitably qualified for the position (in that I am a greedy sod who enjoys his grub) and feel it quite unfair that you promote yourself unchallenged!

There, said it :lol:!

Sod orf Bob, I got there first.

Clear off, you gannets, you have vested interests, I should be the official Oggy / Bridie taster, as I have epicurian tastes, and I would be impartial honest!!!! And Justine you take a couple of practice runs and then let us know when your ready to win errr, take part [lol]

Bobinovich
24-Mar-08, 16:31
Do i get a couple of practise runs first...... as for the testers i think the two cooks should taste eachothes before bob, changilass get their hands on them....Only fair...:)

Can I get the results of your practice runs missus ;)

justine
24-Mar-08, 16:31
Clear off, you gannets, you have vested interests, I should be the official Oggy / Bridie taster, as I have epicurian tastes, and I would be impartial honest!!!! And Justine you take a couple of practice runs and then let us know when your ready to win errr, take part [lol]
Question is are you brave enough to taste the testers, before i em err win, sorry take part with the real things...

justine
24-Mar-08, 16:33
Can I get the results of your practice runs missus ;)

Of course as long as you have a stomach for it......mister:lol:

golach
24-Mar-08, 16:42
Of course as long as you have a stomach for it......mister
Have you seen his belly???? :eek:, its so full of Galaxy chocolate, he cannot roll over in bed, allegedly[lol]

justine
24-Mar-08, 16:51
Have you seen his belly???? its so full of Galaxy chocolate, he cannot roll over in bed, allegedly

No i have not had the pleasure......:roll:
Hope his chocolates were worth it....

Bobinovich
24-Mar-08, 19:09
Of course as long as you have a stomach for it......mister

My stomach is cast iron...

Have you seen his belly???? , its so full of Galaxy chocolate, he cannot roll over in bed, allegedly

Full of Galaxy - no, full of my OH's roast beef at the mo! And the rumors that I can't roll over in bed are entirely fictitious - I'm just too LAZY to roll over in bed! [lol] (BTW Golach, you've never seen my belly either!)

justine
24-Mar-08, 19:11
well i can say the roast beef and puds sounds nicer than the eggs.........

Cast iron....:lol:

ciderally
24-Mar-08, 23:48
good thread.....good laugh...my theeth are watering...

changilass
24-Mar-08, 23:58
Right folks, its about time we got this thread back to some semblance of order.

Can all those folks that jumped onto MY bandwagon please jump back off - afore I push you.

I was here first, no one was offering to be taste tester till I mentioned it, so please go away and find your own thread to taste test.

Thank you very much.

PS I've seen bobs belly and it certainly don't need any of MY bridies or MY oggies

justine
25-Mar-08, 00:11
Hey madam,:cool: if we keep that up we wont be baking any for you to taste...

But i have to admit your right, bob cant get an oggie or bridie into that cast iron belly, so you will have to be taster,,,

justine
25-Mar-08, 00:13
good thread.....good laugh...my theeth are watering...

Glad you still got teeth in there..;)
why do you think i like bridies, they dont go crunch,and they are soft to chew....:eek:

Please try again, 16 seconds.