PDA

View Full Version : Flags at Half-Mast...

celtic 302
20-Mar-08, 19:11
Can anyone tell me why the flags in Wick (at hospital) are at half-mast today?

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 19:17
That's what I was wondering. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they fly the flags at half mast if someone has died in the hospital.

celtic 302
20-Mar-08, 19:23
i dont think so... not the miltary flags anyway.... it is either national or army based i believe

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 19:30
i dont think so... not the miltary flags anyway.... it is either national or army based i believe

Ahh wait.. maybe it means that a soldier has died or something. I'm sure they only fly them at half mast when someone has died.

footie chick
20-Mar-08, 19:51
It wouldn't be anything to do with this?

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=44549

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 19:56
Could be but I'm sure they fly the flags at half mast as a mark of respect when someone dies.

Could be wrong though.

M.Funkenstein
20-Mar-08, 20:21
It's because it's been 5 years since America and all her allies went to war.

I think?

Per Mare Per Terram
20-Mar-08, 20:28
Could be but I'm sure they fly the flags at half mast as a mark of respect when someone dies.

Could be wrong though.The reason for the Flags flying at Half Mast today, it is the 5th Anaverserry of the Iraq War starting, please remember we as a Nation have lost 18 Scotts Soldiers a 176 in total,British Milatery Service Personel.These were flown by the Royal British Legion Scotland Wick Branch and will be on every occasion when we lose a service personel in the conflicts in Iraq or Afganastan, I hope this answers your posts RBLS Vice Chairman.

rfr10
20-Mar-08, 23:49
Ah right. Don't they usually fly the flags at half mast when someone has died though?

karia
21-Mar-08, 00:08
Ah right. Don't they usually fly the flags at half mast when someone has died though?

Plenty of reason to mark this occasion tonight then...sadly!:(

northener
21-Mar-08, 09:10

At a hospital, I think the flags would permanantly be at half-mast.

In fact, you could order shorter flagpoles as you wouldn't need the top half:D

Hang on, then you'd have to put the flag only half way up the shorter flagpole, so we'd have to saw off the top half again...er...um......:confused

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 10:45
At a hospital, I think the flags would permanantly be at half-mast.

In fact, you could order shorter flagpoles as you wouldn't need the top half:D

Hang on, then you'd have to put the flag only half way up the shorter flagpole, so we'd have to saw off the top half again...er...um......

Now, I'm not sure whether I should laugh at that or be very shocked! :Razz

bekisman
21-Mar-08, 12:37
We were over in Wick the other day and noticed too that the flags by the roundabout next the Hospital were at half mast..
Remember (long time ago) as a young squaddie being on guard duty and told to go out and raise the flag; Union Flag, and put it half-mast for some reason.. so I did, put the edges of the flag into the toggles and raised it halfway up the pole.
A minute later got a right rollicking as I had done it all wrong. I had 1. put the flag upside down and 2. not half masted it. I then learned that there is an 'up' and 'down' to the flag and that 'half Mast' is actually a third down from the top of the pole. I was then instructed the correct way; slowly raise the flag (right way up) to the top of the pole,do not stop but continue to immediately lower to a third down and tie off, at end of day, reverse this by slowly raising the flag to the top, then slowly lower to the ground..
Just a little aside, but always remembered that, still never understood why it's 'half mast' though..

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 12:52
We were over in Wick the other day and noticed too that the flags by the roundabout next the Hospital were at half mast..
Remember (long time ago) as a young squaddie being on guard duty and told to go out and raise the flag; Union Flag, and put it half-mast for some reason.. so I did, put the edges of the flag into the toggles and raised it halfway up the pole.
A minute later got a right rollicking as I had done it all wrong. I had 1. put the flag upside down and 2. not half masted it. I then learned that there is an 'up' and 'down' to the flag and that 'half Mast' is actually a third down from the top of the pole. I was then instructed the correct way; slowly raise the flag (right way up) to the top of the pole,do not stop but continue to immediately lower to a third down and tie off, at end of day, reverse this by slowly raising the flag to the top, then slowly lower to the ground..
Just a little aside, but always remembered that, still never understood why it's 'half mast' though..

That's interesting. I always thought it was half way down.

trix
21-Mar-08, 13:14
ma gran'faither died aboot 10 years ago an they hed 'e flag at half mast for him. he wis a fisherman in 'is day...it wis at 'e harbour tho, no 'e hospital...

ma grany wis delited....

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 13:16
ma gran'faither died aboot 10 years ago an they hed 'e flag at half mast for him. he wis a fisherman in 'is day...it wis at 'e harbour tho, no 'e hospital...

ma grany wis delited....

I'd thought that's what they did.

Andrew C
21-Mar-08, 19:19
I notice the flags at half mast there quite frequently.

Maybe the RBLS could stick a bitty in the paper when they're at half mast to tell us what its for. I'm sure folks would be interested.

rfr10
21-Mar-08, 19:28
let's ask the hospital :)

ANNIE
21-Mar-08, 19:43
The flags always fly half mast when someone in the military dies in action. If you notice its a flag for each service and depending if its a soldier sailor or airman its the flag that represents their force