PDA

View Full Version : Caithness that you know

justine
20-Mar-08, 15:52
Brought on from the thread," does this message board" can we find out what caithness means to you all.....I am in incomer and love the place for its freedom, fresh beginings and friendly people....The country side is beautiful and walking about not seeing built up buildings is fantastic, buti have been here only for a short time....What about those who were born and bred or as close to being born and bred make of the changes in caithness over the last 10 yrs.....

ciderally
20-Mar-08, 16:13
well justine being from wick/caithness its home to me i have lived many places in/out of the uk ....its whare my family live most of them anyway...its my childhood memories....my childhood friends that are still friends to this day...its whare i come to when things arnt right in my life...and whare i will end my days..

justine
20-Mar-08, 16:20
well justine being from wick/caithness its home to me i have lived many places in/out of the uk ....its whare my family live most of them anyway...its my childhood memories....my childhood friends that are still friends to this day...its whare i come to when things arnt right in my life...and whare i will end my days..

They are great words, its nice to have a place to call home...cant remeber anywhere i could call home, but now its caithness.......
you gave me little goosebumps with you sentimental words....

elamanya
20-Mar-08, 16:21
it has to be the big sky.... the wild open spaces mostly unspoilt, half a hour in the car and you can be in a wilderness, some of the walks are out of this world , its a slower pace of life just away from the rat race

dellwak
20-Mar-08, 16:37
I wasn't born in Caithness, but I was certainly bred there.
I come back every 2 or 3 years for a visit and have seen many changes over time, some good, some not so good.
The disapearance of Caithness glass shocked me and seeing the John-O-Groats Hotel being allowed to fall into ruin saddens me.
What really worries me however, is a comment made by a friend of mine from Thurso. I mentioned to him that most of the shops and businesses that cater to tourists seem to be run by people with an english accent.
He got rather annoyed and said "Yes, they want to change everything and make us just like them. They get on my nerves."
In my experiance, it is the outsiders coming into a locality who bring all the fresh ideas with them. At the same time, it is these same people who are most resistant to change - wanting to keep a place just as they found it.