PDA

View Full Version : Aren't you getting fed up with...?

ciderally
20-Mar-08, 15:30
the T.V. Licences......i mean most people have sky...what about tv thru the computer...do you really think bbc are worth it....how much are they now?
looking forward to coming home soon..but the thought of paying for tv again gets me going...i think folks now are so used to it being a part of the monthly out goings ...jeez when dit it start? and when was the last review? and have the goverment asked if we want it? think its about time to call it a day..dont you? :confused

justine
20-Mar-08, 15:38
no, its a rip off. like you say bbc are the only ones who ask for it and we pay, although not many programmes are worth watching, but then neither is sky anymore..We had ours cancelled in feb because it was all repeats,,when i phoned sky they offered us everything to keep us as a customer,after 45 mins of argueing with the guy he finally realised i had had enough of watching the same programmes over and over again, do we want to pay licence for clack programmes. Not me....

henry20
20-Mar-08, 15:38
They are £135.50 or £45.50 for b&w

I really grudge paying mine and if I hadn't bought hubby a wii for Xmas, I would seriously think about chucking tv in bin and doing without!

We only have 'normal' tv - I don't see the point in paying even more for extra channels of garbage (although I watch enough of it)

When I first bought my house, I didn't have a tv and I wasn't so lazy :roll:

ciderally
20-Mar-08, 15:51
http://www.marmalade.net/lime/wishart.html

this is worth a read...how new zealand and the last days of tv licences ...

justine
20-Mar-08, 15:59
http://www.marmalade.net/lime/wishart.html (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.marmalade.net/lime/wishart.html)

this is worth a read...how new zealand and the last days of tv licences ...

well if you start your campaign now you will be about 71 when it gets squashed, the way the system works in the uk...:lol:
but its amazing how one man can do what a nation couldn't

Poultney lad
20-Mar-08, 16:11
Total rip off what we paying tv licence for all repeats and sky is not much better:~(

ciderally
20-Mar-08, 16:31
wonder what would happen if everyone just refused to pay? switch off bbc

ashaw1
20-Mar-08, 17:45
Tv is really bad at the moment, whatever happened to the good old Saturday night when the whole family sat down infront of the tv together! Unfortunately those days are definately gone!

Phoebus_Apollo
20-Mar-08, 22:54
Has anyone still got a Black and White Television and if so how long have you been insane for?

WeeBurd
20-Mar-08, 22:57
Has anyone still got a Black and White Television and if so how long have you been insane for?

It's not insanity, Phoebus, it's called being tight [lol]!

karia
20-Mar-08, 23:12
It's not insanity, Phoebus, it's called being tight [lol]!

Retro surely!;)

TBH
20-Mar-08, 23:51
The tv licence should be abolished, all it is now is another tax. Let them raise their money through adverts and we can save ourselves some money.

karia
21-Mar-08, 00:23
The tv licence should be abolished, all it is now is another tax. Let them raise their money through adverts and we can save ourselves some money.

Have you seen American TV?

30secs of 'Friends..ulike' and a word from your sponsor..a short clip of 'Scheind u fear 'and the sponsor is back in your ear...

Independent film making in the US of A....groundbreaking?!! It would be if it was happening

Think again..we are all fulfilling 'viewing quota's' in our wee stereotypical boxes,and paying through the ear for ...

The same old..same old!:roll:

TBH
21-Mar-08, 02:54
Have you seen American TV?

30secs of 'Friends..ulike' and a word from your sponsor..a short clip of 'Scheind u fear 'and the sponsor is back in your ear...

Independent film making in the US of A....groundbreaking?!! It would be if it was happening

Think again..we are all fulfilling 'viewing quota's' in our wee stereotypical boxes,and paying through the ear for ...

The same old..same old!:roll:There has to be an acceptable ratio of program broadcasting time to advertising time. We are as you say, "fulfilling viewing quotas", and If I thought my viewing was being spoiled by too frequent ad-breaks then I would vote with my 'mote.;)

Penelope Pitstop
21-Mar-08, 17:07
As my mum says ....they ought to pay you for watching the damn thing (telly that is)......:)

Rheghead
21-Mar-08, 18:07
Well I am going to buck the trend of this thread, although I don't like paying my TV licence (Who does?) I do think it is worth it. Primarily for the reason that I think it is worth having a TV channel that is funded independently from TV advertising. In the days when a good news story is determined by how many newspapers it can sell or how good a good programme is by the amount of revenue is brought in by the interluding advertising, then I think there is a place for the BBC to be an 'honest' broadcaster. I am reminded of the Iraq war business when it was the BBC who bucked the trend with the Government over the death of David Kelly etc. Of course it would be nice to not pay for a licence but would you want to be informed independently from paying a tythe to old man capitalism? If the licence was scrapped, the BBC would still need to be paid for and we would still pay for it through advertising that is passed on to the consumer.

Geo
21-Mar-08, 18:14
I begrudge paying it however when I heard that F1 was going back to the BBC next year my first thought was "great, no advertising breaks!" Having said that if it meant scrapping the license fee I'd put up with adverts at a similar rate to those on other channels.

Penelope Pitstop
21-Mar-08, 20:42
I begrudge paying it however when I heard that F1 was going back to the BBC next year my first thought was "great, no advertising breaks!" Having said that if it meant scrapping the license fee I'd put up with adverts at a simil;ar rate to those on other channels.

Aye...that's the first thing I thought of too...no more adverts during F1 !! ... sad gits ain't we.:)

nightowl
22-Mar-08, 10:56
The TV license is one thing I don't really mind paying. Telly without adverts is a luxury we all take for granted and the radio is second to none. Having said that I do feel the money could be better spent if we were not paying the executives and front people such enormous salaries, some on a par with footballers......... Don't get me started on that one!!